The Green Lady

lulu

Just wondering how any of you imagened the green lady from the silver chair to look like as i am making her dress for my gcse textiles and want the opinion of people who have read narnia. Please dont just quote the book, i'v already found all the descriptions in there, i want peoples personal ideas as the book isn't too descriptive of her clothes except that its a green dress with a long skirt and it's pretty.

Hmm... long dress, pretty, green. Yeah, that's pretty much what Lewis gives 'ya. I always imagined her being a very fair-complexioned blonde, but that wouldn't help with dressmaking. Definitely it should be light green, not dark and foresty. Maybe with a layer of sheer fabric over slightly darker fabric underneath. Please post a picture of the dress when you're done making it! :)

i always imagened her with dark hair too, just as well that i have dark hair tyhen as i'll be modeling it for the final photos myself. I think the dress should be pretty, and the colours should be as well but it should have a sort of sinister snakey feel. I've got a few designs at the moment but i'm very interested on other narnia fans ideas as most people i know haven't read them so can't really comment to much on my designs

What a cracking thing to do, school's so much more fun these days!
I'd always thought of her clothes having a medievel style to them - check out some old pics of that sort of thing - the sort of dresses that court maidens would wear, but minus the wimple (traffic cone type of hat)

Yeah i've been looking at them and i like the medieval feel but i have an image of her clothes being slightly more daring and unique in style, and definately without the wimple.

How about showinf bit of flesh, maybe quite a low slung back, can't be too daring!, how about looking at ther design of sleek and sexy wedding dresses, but turning them green, i always had a feeling that she used her feminine side to trap Rilian, the tramp!

OK, did the "Green Lady" have a name? If so, I can't remember it. Was she just called the Emerald Queen? I'm drawing a blank here.

I've always imagined the dress to have a medieval sort of feel to it, mostly because I see nearly everything in Narnia as having medieval style. It's got to be a dress that parts well to the sides, because it's a riding dress, after all. Of course, she was probably riding side-saddle; but she still would have to have had a pliable skirt. As for the shade of green, I imagine it to be something that shimmers, like the scales of a serpent. Of course, the underfabric of the split would most likely not be the shimmering material. That part would have to be of a softer texture, and it would most likely be a lighter shade as well. Then again, the darker shade could be underneath while the lighter shade is on top... that would create an interesting contrast, though unlikely for a riding dress because the emphasis would want to be placed on the overdress. Now, as for the accents... it could be either silver or gold, depending on the model's complexion. A silver chord would be tied around her waist, in keeping with the medieval theme. She would also most likely have her head adorned with some sort of circlet... and I have always imagined her as having red hair. Why? Because the image of a person in a green dress practically screams red hair to me. Okay, so that's how I imagine it and whatnot. It'll be interesting to see how your dress actually turns out.

Yes you definately need to make it medieval like, but not so much that people can look at it and say.."oh thats from the whatever ages". I mean, its got to have something unique about it, like you said before lulu. I really like the idea of making it snake-like in certain areas. When i think about it i think of a sort of flowing cloth, draping down the back, that kinda drags behind...almost like a snake, and scale-like cloth around the arms..you know....anything to make it all mystical, and sorta catch peoples attention, yet blend with nature. Maybe i'm not making any sense..

I have always envisioned the lady of the green kirtle as having dark hair and fair skin, dressed in a rich velvet of dark green and her eyes would match. Some kind of corset or bodice of suede in a brown or black maybe, and long draping sleeves. Impractical I know, yet mysterious.

Back