The Silver Chair is the start of a new Narnia Trilogy

Specter

Meeting the World
Staff member
Knight of the Noble Order
Royal Guard
Director Joe Johnston has said that the new Narnia film,*The Silver Chair is the start of a new Narnia film trilogy. “Everything is new,” he says. “This is the beginning of a brand-new trilogy. We will make reference to characters and events in the other films as the book does, but think of this as...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit http://www.narniafans.com for full story, cast lists, trailers, and more! If you're reading this on Facebook, click "View Original Post" below ]]
rX-fzXGp-JI

More...

Too many Important People see "The Horse and his Boy" as an attack on Islam. if that makes it to the Silver Screen it will be altered at their behest.

I thought I remember reading something that they were going to film The Magician's Nephew for Tilda's scenes before she looked to old to play someone who looked ageless and later film the rest of it when it's time to do so. Is this correct?

I thought I remember reading something that they were going to film The Magician's Nephew for Tilda's scenes before she looked to old to play someone who looked ageless and later film the rest of it when it's time to do so. Is this correct?

I think realistically, the last movies are going to be treated as if they are non-canonical with the next set of movies. That is, we're basically starting over with new actors, actresses, and everything. So if that's the case, no, Tilda Swinton's not going to be involved.

I think realistically, the last movies are going to be treated as if they are non-canonical with the next set of movies. That is, we're basically starting over with new actors, actresses, and everything. So if that's the case, no, Tilda Swinton's not going to be involved.

That's a bummer but it does make sense.

Tilda Swinton is a superb actress, and by all accounts a likeable woman in real life; but she simply can't be made the absolute be-all and end-all of the Narnian cinema.

The actress who played the leader of the golden-skinned "Sovereign" people in the second "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie would make a good successor to Ms. Swinton in the role of Jadis.

The actress who played the leader of the golden-skinned "Sovereign" people in the second "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie would make a good successor to Ms. Swinton in the role of Jadis.

Completely agree with that assessment. She was great in Guardians, and would make a fantastic Jadis.

I'm all for a new Jadis actress. They've had too much of a love affair with Swinton, IMHO.

As always I'm skeptical. If these new people can prove that they respect Lewis' works without altering them to an unrecognizable state *cough* Dawn Treader *cough*, then I'm all for them.

I never thought Lewis's writing ever offered much justification for the idea that the White Witch was the same witch that enchanted Rillian. I certainly hope they don't involve Swinton. She's a good actress, but without any Pevensies in TSC, there's no reason for her to appear, even as a memory.

If Neeson remains available, I have no doubt they'll want to bring him back for continuity. Though I would like to hear Laurence "Morpheus" Fishburne voicing the role of Aslan.

I never thought Lewis's writing ever offered much justification for the idea that the White Witch was the same witch that enchanted Rillian. I certainly hope they don't involve Swinton. She's a good actress, but without any Pevensies in TSC, there's no reason for her to appear, even as a memory.

There is exactly _zero_ justification for saying that the Green Witch _was_ the White Witch. That would be a _forced_ continuity. Besides, if Jadis could come back to life after Aslan executed her, this would contradict His omnipotence as Almighty God.

I'm pretty sure Lewis wrote (in a character's voice obviously) that the Green Witch was of the same kind as Jadis, not the same person. My book is packed away otherwise I'd go look up a reference. :)

He most certainly DID speak of Green Kirtle Witch as being a TYPE, not as actually BEING JADIS. But this is one of those areas in which dilettantes often imagine they're cleverer than the original author. Such dilettantes would not bother to consider the point I've made, that Aslan would not be omnipotent if, having killed an evildoer, He could not make that evildoer STAY DEAD.

It's been a long time since Douglas Gresham lent me a Russian-language set of the Narnian books for me to quality-check for him; but I seem to recall that the mostly-good Russian fellow who translated them WAS one of those who wanted to MAKE the Green Witch BE Jadis.

The same translator, in "Magician's Nephew," arbitrarily made the horse/pegasus Fledge be a mare, instead of the stallion Lewis had clearly specified.

Last edited:
Despite reboots and new actors/actresses I'm glad at least they are still doing the series in movie form even if it is taking many years. I like seeing Narnia and anything related to it get noticed nowadays.

The same translator, in "Magician's Nephew," arbitrarily made the horse/pegasus Fledge be a mare, instead of the stallion Lewis had clearly specified.

Weird. Fledge doesn't sound like a name for a female horse to me, though maybe the word has different connotations in Russian?

Back