How does a Duffer's brain work?

Which example is most indicative of how a Duffer's brain works?

• Total voters
Okay... I can only speak for myself, but what coffee does for me is to turn me into a human. Hitherto, I was content with that result, but now I don't know. Maybe it's the addition of milk bars my entrance to Mt Olympus?

Yep, that's probably it. Coffee + milk is human coffee, which is okay, but just think--you could be drinking ambrosia every morning.

The separate numbers. They refer to Peking duck and pork char sui on a menu from a Chinese restaurant in the book "Skellig" by David Almond. The use of the word "ambrosia" just reminded me of it.

The separate numbers. They refer to Peking duck and pork char sui on a menu from a Chinese restaurant in the book "Skellig" by David Almond. The use of the word "ambrosia" just reminded me of it.

Although this is a far from complete explanation, I have to commend you on your referencing fiction. (I assume.)

Glengoogle: What does Skellig mean? It looks suspiciously Scandinavian.

Skellig is a main character in the book, according to Wikipedia, and the name comes from the Irish Skellig Islands. The name comes from the Gaelic word sceilig.

Also: My name is Glenburne, and I hate you. :mad:

I don't think that word has a meaning beyond referring to the islands. I know because I already tried to find out.

Not that I personally wanted to know.

*glares*

I believe you freely offered the googling service. Anyway, aren't you a librarian? I thought you would be more enthusiastic about learning new things.

As for me, I realized today that in German we say "three-headed monster" and in the same way say "twelve-headed family" instead of "family of twelve", leaving it dangerously unclear what is meant. You don't know how happy that made me.

*sigh* That sounds like you. If you had your way, I'm pretty sure Germany would be populated by Siamese families with lots of heads, which have worked out a way to run so they can chase tourists while cackling maniacally.

Just because I am forced to google things for GHPs (Generally Helpless People) at work doesn't mean I want to do it in my free time.

If the P in GHPs stands for the plural, do you really need to add the s? Wouldn't it turn into 'Generally Helpless Peoples'? Or would that make it indistinguishable from the singular GHP, like the word sheep? Maybe we should give up on the whole philosophy of the word GHP and just call them sheep. What are your thoughts on the matter?

If the P in GHPs stands for the plural, do you really need to add the s? Wouldn't it turn into 'Generally Helpless Peoples'? Or would that make it indistinguishable from the singular GHP, like the word sheep? Maybe we should give up on the whole philosophy of the word GHP and just call them sheep. What are your thoughts on the matter?

I don't have any thoughts on that, but I do hate when people say "RBIs" instead of just "RBI" for "runs batted in" in baseball.

Then there's my one brother's military lingo. I have to make split-second decisions about whether to figure out what he's saying from the context or ask directly, and I sometimes I just can't deal with the stress....

Then there's my one brother's military lingo. I have to make split-second decisions about whether to figure out what he's saying from the context or ask directly, and I sometimes I just can't deal with the stress....

All right, but sometimes military lingo can be helpful. Like the phonetic alphabet. Or saying "niner" for "nine". But of course, those are meant to make things more clear, which can't be said for all jargon.

Back