He Rocks

tgraveline

Harley Quinn *growls*
Knight of the Noble Order
Emeritus
Don't we all know it. Well i love the books of his too, though i would like to read some of the other ones about middle earth and its history.

tg

The Silmarrillion is a hard read, but good.

He's an awesome writer.

Thats what i'm talking about, i just didn't want to write out the name wrong and look like a moron, lol. He didn't write anything else did he?

tg

Yes he did, including a translation of Beowolf. Nothing as popular or as good as his Middle-Earth novels.

lol, i remember seeing the movie beowulf with christopher lambert, terrible, but hilarious. Not sure if thats the same thing or not.

tg

That movie is loosely based on Beowolf. LOL VERY loosely.

thats what i figured, my friend knew some of the story of the real thing and was like, ehhh don't remember any of this stuff. really funny movie though

tg

lol.. explain Irish. I can't think of anything and I hated Beowulf. lol

I had a feeling it was very loosely related. My friend knew the basic story when we saw it, and was like, i don't really remember any of this. At least LOTR wasn't loosely related as much as this one was.

tg

Apparently the Golden Hall of Meduseld is in Beowulf too. I think that's the only real thing borrowed from Beowulf, as far as I know.

A fond book I remember is "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Sir Orfeo" which was written by an anonymous contemporary of Geoffrey Chaucer in the 14th century and translated by J.R.R Tolkien..

"Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" is a small tale in Arthurian Legend, "Pearl" a poem for the death of a child, and "Sir Orfeo" is the story version myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. :)

I finally got the silmarrillion for my christmas/bday. So yes, another dang book to read, but i'm starting to nock these books off the list fast here. So one last book in the NJO then i'm done with those and on to the robert jordan wheel of time series.

tg

I have a copy of a rather unheard off book of JRR's, called Roverandom. Its a child's story about a toy dog turned into a real dog, who has adventures with wizards, and visites the moon and under the sea etc. For those who dont mind revisiting their childhood, a very interesting read.

Also he wrote 4 tales found in Tales from the Perrilous Realm which are based in Middle Earth.

Plus there are the real history books (silmarillion doesn't count IMO) like The War of the Ring, the Book of Lost Tales etc. They War of the Ring has an alternate ending for LOTR which is interesting, and little bits and pieces of extra background info on LOTR. Also such books as The Book of Lost Tales, the Treason of Isengard. But these are not for the faint of heart, a huge read by anyones standards.

I have a copy of a rather unheard off book of JRR's, called Roverandom. Its a child's story about a toy dog turned into a real dog, who has adventures with wizards, and visites the moon and under the sea etc. For those who dont mind revisiting their childhood, a very interesting read.
i love that book. it is so cute. i have read it twice. :D

Back