The Silver Chair is both a Relaunch and a Reboot?

Specter

Meeting the World
Staff member
Knight of the Noble Order
Royal Guard
Mark Gordon was interviewed by Collider recently, and they took the opportunity to ask about the status of*The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair. Mark Gordon’s comments confirmed that they’ll be re-casting Eustace. He told Collider: “We’re hoping to be able to make the movie...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit http://www.narniafans.com for full story, cast lists, trailers, and more! If you're reading this on Facebook, click "View Original Post" below ]]
HL7Xopol-UY

More...

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy. This encouraging. There seems to be some confussion about what rebooting the series means to different people. One of the important aspects of the CON is that each book can be read by itself and the reader will not be left hanging waiting for the next book or confused about the plot because he didn't read a previous book. I have a feeling that the screenplay is being written in a way that if you hadn't seen the other movies you are ok because it won't draw much on those other movies. Caspian will not be a major character and his past in the other moveis will not be referenced. He will just be the father of Prince Rilian. I hope this doesn't mean the parliament of owls will not be totally droppped, because that is when the backstory happens in the book. Let's not forget that after VDT Eustace is a different character. In fact he goes by the name Scubb in TSC, while he is Eustace in the VDT. So you really do reboot the character.

There seems to be some confussion about what rebooting the series means to different people.

Yeah, it seems, like semantics as to what different people call it. But as long as we are getting more Narnia movies, I don't really care what people call it.

I liked Will Poulter as Eustace. I saw a video interview of C.S. Lewis's Godson (sorry forgot name) where he stated that The Silver Chair was being filmed right after Voyage of the Dawn Treader, because children grow up quickly and they didn't want the characters to grow out of their roles, so I thought that meant Will Poulter would be Eustace again but maybe he did that interview before they decided to recast him.

Also, is Liam Neeson still doing Aslan's voice?

It can't be too radically rebooting, since filming Silver Chair is starting in the middle. Merely casting fresh actors is not the same as a reboot.

If the rebooting is any more radical than what they did with VDT, the only similarity with the book is likely to be the title and the names of some of the characters. Not holding my breath.

Peeps

Peep, I'm reminded that even the BBC version of "Silver Chair" did a major disservice to the book. In the book, the vaguely Orc-like subterranean dwellers in the underworld were not at all evil, only enslaved by the Green Witch -- much like the soldiers in "The Wizard of Oz," who were glad to be rid of the Wicked Witch of the West. But in the BBC "Silver Chair," once the Green Witch had been slain, there was no sign of the subterranean people being grateful to Jill, Eustace and company.

CF

I appreciate that various constraints mean that bits of the book cannot be portrayed exactly as in the book. I hate the BBC Prince Caspian bit that cuts out where Edmund sticks up for Lucy, but instead they all just shrug their shoulders and walk away from her - but it wouldn't have fitted in the time constraints that they were allowed, and the change does not fundamentally alter the story. Similarly, although the gnomes' gratitude is an important part of the book, its omission from the TV series doesn't fundamentally alter the story.

I do object to the entire tone of the story being changed. I know we disagree about the film version of Prince Caspian in this respect. I think most of the changes they made from the book were in keeping with the tone of the story, and were necessary to make the film - a straight adaptation of the book would have made a very dull film and I like the addition of the political elements; though I am in firm agreement with you in hating the character changes they made to Peter.

I object to VDT because they turned the Dark Island into a force for cosmic evil, and shaped the whole film around that theme, when there was no reason to make that change, and it forced them to radically alter a whole load of other things that were integral to the book. VDT looked more like Harry Potter than Narnia. Pretty much the only thing I like about the film are the graphics of the ship, which were really good.

I hope that TSC can stick rather closer to the book. I don't think there are really major changes that are needed to make the book into a decent film. And I really hope Puddleglum's speech stays in word for word ("I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it...") - though probably a vain hope.

Peeps

I'm so happy to finally have some news! At this point in the series wouldn't almost all characters be new anyway? So not much to change/"reboot". Technically it would all be new to the movies. All I wish is that they could bring back the original Pevensies for The Last Battle (assuming they make it that far) since they should be close to actual age at that point.

Also, I'm hoping this "reboot" doesn't mean they are hoping to remake LWW, PC, or VDT, at least not anytime soon. Those may not have been perfect, but I feel like it's way too soon for another version of any of them.

Peeps, thank you for agreeing that Peter should not have been changed into a dweeb.

I object to VDT because they turned the Dark Island into a force for cosmic evil, and shaped the whole film around that theme, when there was no reason to make that change, and it forced them to radically alter a whole load of other things that were integral to the book. VDT looked more like Harry Potter than Narnia. Pretty much the only thing I like about the film are the graphics of the ship, which were really good.

I hope that TSC can stick rather closer to the book. I don't think there are really major changes that are needed to make the book into a decent film. And I really hope Puddleglum's speech stays in word for word ("I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it...") - though probably a vain hope. Peeps

Yes, the "cosmic evil" thing was all wrong. It reminded me of what happened to the Doctor Who franchise: they decided that NO situation could be "exciting enough" unless it threatened to DESTROY THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE.

Back