Peepiceek's Odd-One-Out Quiz

My mistake about "record stinker." I misread that and attributed the quote to Lucy. You guys are absolutely right: those are Edmund's words. My apologies.

Ok, on the other ones nobody is really close at all. Should I give some hints?

For 16B, their surroundings is important.

For 17B, they have to do with a specific animal.

For 18B, Eustace could be in the list in addition to or instead of, Jill. Jadis and Aslan could be in the list. Many could be added to the list. If you still need help I can tell you which one is the odd one out as well as two others I could have picked to be the odd one out (both from the same chronicle, one of them being in the same scene as the odd one out and the other from a different scene, but both scenes occurring in the same city).

Last edited:
Man, do I not get any credit for my great answers to 16B and 17B??? ;)

The only animal I can see that could connect 17B is a horse (Bree and Hwin in Calormen, Strawberry in London, Coalblack and Snowflake in Underland, the enslaved horses in Lantern Waste). But an odd one out is not leaping out at me. Unless it's that the first three all permanently left those places in the book, while the horses in Lantern Waste remained (and died) there.

Peeps

Last edited:
Awesome attempts. Yeah I like to acknowledge and affirm and I will make more of an effort to. I've been low on energy lately and tired between work and school but a lot of what I've read (not just in this post but others too) has brought big smiles to my face; I tend to go straight into response but I will try to put this appreciation in writing more. I think that's reasonable.

Well, you pretty much solved 17B. Calormen, London, and Underland were places the horses you mentioned escaped captivity, whereas in Lantern Waste (part of Narnia, the country where all those horses had found freedom) another horse in The Last Battle was enslaved.

Physical location is important for 16B and 18B, more so for 16B.

Last edited:
#48. (I'll accept either of two equally reasonable answers on the same theme)
(a) Bree
(b) Aravis
(c) Peter & Edmund
(d) Tirian, Eustace & Jill

Does 48 have to do with disguises? Bree disguised himself as a common horse through Tashbaan, Aravis as a slave girl to escape the city, and Tirian, Eustace and Jill as Calormenes. I'm not sure what Peter and Edmund have to do with disguises, but are they the odd ones out?

1002:
a) Aravis
b) Shasta
c) Bree
d) Hwin

Mr Bob, is the odd-one-out Aravis, simply because she ended up living the rest of her life in a country she was not from? Shasta was returned to his father in Archenland, and Bree and Hwin stayed in Narnia, but Aravis who was from Calormen stayed with Shasta in Archenland.

#46.
(a) Uncle Andrew
(b) The Hermit of the Southern March
(c) Lucy
(d) Tirian

#49.
(a) Mr Tumnus (possibly, though the text isn’t clear)
(b) Bree & Hwin
(c) Peepiceek
(d) The Dawn Treader

For #46, is the connection that some of these characters were expecting people/children? Uncle Andrew was expecting Polly and Digory to enter the attic room. The Hermit of the Southern March knew Aravis and Shasta were coming. Tirian expected help to come after his dream. So perhaps Lucy is the odd-one-out, though I'm not sure. She also expected company (Edmund and Susan) while she was presumably keepin' house at the castle at Cair Paravel in The Horse and His Boy. But she could be the odd-one-out because she was somebody expected (Tumnus was expecting a human to enter Narnia in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

For #49, is the connection tails? Tumnus was afraid to have his tail cut off by the White Witch, and she might have according to the threat Tumnus spoke of. Bree and Hwin had their tails shortened before entering Tashbaan as part of their disguise. And the Dawn Treador lost her tail at sea. Peepiceek is the odd-one-out because he never lost his tail but was willing to cut it off if Aslan did not restore Reepicheep's.

A perfect answer to #49. Initially I had Reepicheep instead of Peepiceek, with Tumnus as the odd one out, but then I realised that the text could be read as saying that, since Tumnus was turned into stone, he must also have had his tail and horns cut off, so I changed it to remove the ambiguity.

#48, you are exactly right thus far. There are two possible odd ones out, each equally reasonable, and relating to what happened after they disguised themselves.

#46, nice thinking, but your answer kind of petered out when it came to Lucy, and Tumnus wasn't really expecting Lucy... so, as I think you realised, that's not the right connection. For this one, the relevant Lucy section is in VDT.

Peeps

PS Glad I got 17B in the end, though I actually like my first answer better! ;)

Last edited:
I'll give this one a try:
#46.
(a) Uncle Andrew
(c) Lucy
(d) Tirian

Uncle Andrew had a private room to go to to get away from his sister, Lucy had a separate room to get away from Eustace, Tirian had a private lodge to get away from the state and pomp of Cair Paravel. That leaves out the Hermit who always lives alone.

Last edited:
It's nice, though I don't think Lucy's private room was to get away from anyone but simply because she was a girl among boys. Anyway, it's not the answer I had in mind. It relates to a specific thing that they did (or that happened to them).

Peeps

Last edited:
Tirian

I'm still trying to crack 16B and 18B. In 16B, is there a reason for choosing Argoz specifically, or could it equally well have been Revilian or Mavramorn?

For 18B, from your hints, I'm assuming Lasaraleen is the odd one out, but why, and what the connection is, I have no clue.

Peeps

Last edited:
For 16B I could have chosen any of the three.

For 18B, yes Lasaraleen is the odd one out. I could have chosen Aravis in place of her or for virtually the same reason, Shasta. Think about Glenstorm and Dancing Lawn. And Miraz talking with Sopespian and Glozelle.

Ok, I think the connection is something about being or being called a coward. But I can't immediately see the answer. I'll have to look it up later.

Peeps

Ok, I am thoroughly confused on both 16B and 18B.

For 18B, I can't see anything about Glenstorm and privacy at Dancing Lawn. Which scene do you have in mind for Jill?

For 16B, is the Rhindon scene the one where Peter find it in Cair Paravel, which is the only place that the sword is named? Or is it another scene with Peter's sword? Is it significant that you said "Jadis" rather than "the White Witch" (ie. is it from TMN rather than LWW)?

For my questions, the following are still live:
#44.
(a) “Mustard, please.”
(b) “S-s-s-h, less noise.”
(c) “The Elephant is quite right.”
(d) “Well, I’ll take the offer.”
Timmy correctly sourced the quotes as being from (a) one of the sleeping lords, (b) Jill, speaking to Eustace and Tirian during their night journey to the stable, (c) the Tapir in TMN during the dicussion on what to do with Uncle Andrew and (d) the Telmarine soldier who volunteers to walk through the door in the air.

I have also said that the quote from the odd one out gives a clue as to the connection between the other three, and that the person speaking in each quote is relevant, but the person spoken to is not.

#46.
(a) Uncle Andrew
(c) Lucy
(d) Tirian
No-one has come close on this one yet. I have said that it relates to a specific thing that they did (or that happened to them), and that the Lucy example comes from VDT.

#48. (I'll accept either of two equally reasonable answers on the same theme)
(a) Bree
(b) Aravis
(c) Peter & Edmund
(d) Tirian, Eustace & Jill
Tirian has come very close to cracking this, correctly identifying that the connection is about disguises, but hasn't actually suggested an odd one out yet. I have said that there are two possible odd ones out, each equally reasonable, and relating to what happened after they disguised themselves.

Peeps

Last edited:
16B has to do with ruins.

18B has to do with secret councils.

There. Those are big fat hints. Now give us some big fat hints.

For 46, is the connection spying on or watching people. Or does it have to do with magic spells?

For 48, they leave or enter a new place after the disguise. I don't know who the odd one out is. Is it Peter and Edmund because they never get to use the rings they dig up? Did they even dig them up? I can't remember.

So, Rhindon was found in the ruins of Cair Paravel, Jadis escaped from the ruins of Charn, Rilian escaped from the ruins of Underland, Argoz was found in a place that lay in ruins. But Rilian was escaping from a place in the process of being ruined (and caused it), whereas the other places were ruined already, so Rilian is the odd one out.

Jill and Eustace went to a secret council at the Parliament of Owls, Glenstorm at Dancing Lawn, Miraz with his two lords, and Lasaraleen overheard the secret council of the Tisroc. So Lasaraleen is the odd one out because she wasn't meant to be there.

Man, those were tough!!

For 46, is the connection spying on or watching people. Or does it have to do with magic spells?
The former.

For 48, they leave or enter a new place after the disguise. I don't know who the odd one out is. Is it Peter and Edmund because they never get to use the rings they dig up? Did they even dig them up? I can't remember.
They did did them up, yes. Ok, since there are two possible odd ones out here, I'll give you one of them, with a hint as to the reason, and see if you can work out the other, which has a similar but slightly different reason.

So, one of the odd ones out is Bree, and the hint is that it's "Bree (but not Hwin)".

Peeps

Last edited:
Good answers. 18B is exactly what I was looking for. 16B is a good answer too. But I had Jadis as the odd one out. People had to go through ruins to find Rilian (the ancient city of the giants), Rhondon and Argoz whom they were looking for. However, Jadis was discovered in the ruins (of her own making) of Charn but she was not being looked for nor wanted.

Back