Write a Note to the Person Above You III

Dear Grumpy Glen,

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely, I just stick up my chin and grin and say: The sun will come out tomorrow, so you gotta hang on till tomorrow - come what may. Tomorrow, tomorrow,

I love ya
Tomorrow

Freckles,

Meanwhile when I'm stuck in a day that's gray and lonely, I'm usually pretty happy about it. I like the rain and the clouds. Not a big fan of sunshine.

GG

Dear GG,

We are probably putting more books in the dumpster. On the bright side, we have lots of empty space now. You can hear the wind howling through the library.

-Grumpy Glen

P. S. Sticking your chin up is overrated; my voice teacher has ordered me not to do it.

Dear Grumpy Glen,

Did you find anything interesting in the shelves? Like secret stashes of cash, love notes, cheat sheets, etc.

Sincerely
Freckles

Dear Freckles,

No, although I think people leave drugs there sometimes. Because libraries are such great places. We serve the community.

Sincerely,
Grumpy Glen

Dear Grumpy Glen,

We've been exchanging quite a few letters now. So do you think I could call you Grumpy or do you have a nickname you prefer...? "Grumpy Glen" is so awfully formal.

Sincerely,
Freckles

Dear Freckles,

I expect formality. We are both university graduates.

Sincerely,
Grumpy Glen

Dear Grumpy Glen,

okay. Then would you like me to take down all the funny cartoons I put up on the door of your office?

Sincerely,
Freckles

Freckles,

The most well-educated people I know are the ones who also have cartoons up on their office doors.

GG

Dear GG,

I briefly considered putting up a poster at work saying "Carthage must be destroyed." Freckles is to blame.

Sincerely,
Glen

Dear Glen,

Firstly, let me express how happy I am that you're not grumpy anymore.

Secondly, I am certainly not to blame. Who made the phrase popular? Cato the Elder. Go TP his house. Then again, it's probably unwise to put up the poster, since Carthage is still around...

Sincerely,
Freckles

Dear Freckles,

It is difficult to concentrate on grumpiness when GG is around, because survival, i.e. not being eaten, immediately becomes more important.

Cato the Elder is very dead, and we probably don't know where his house was, and I don't have a U.S. passport even though part of my job is helping other people get theirs, so I can't go to Rome to TP his house. So that means I should respond by blaming you on the internet, and possibly donating you to GG's Kitchen.

Sincerely,
Glen

Dear Glen,

Now I know why you donated Freckles.

And I may have to take the quote "It is difficult to concentrate on grumpiness when GG is around" out of context and run with it.

GG the source of all joy

Dear GG,

Don't get too carried away with that. You even forgot to sign your letter.

Just being helpful,
Glen

Dear Glen,

I DID sign my letter. I suppose I should have done it this way:

The source of all Joy,
GG

Dear GG,

That is much better. Always use proper letter-writing etiquette when you are on TDL in memory of Bilbo Baggins. And mushrooms.

Sincerely,
Glen

Dearest Glen,

Signing letters is overrated. Unless, of course, you only know the ASL alphabet and need to communicate with a deaf person. Then it's quite necessary.

Dear Sir or Lady,

I'm no Sheldon Cooper, but your post makes me hold my breath. When? When will you end that note properly?? TELL ME!!

Sincerely,
Freckles

PS. Just kidding. Half of my students forget to sign the letters they're supposed to do as written assignments. I've had one letter addressed to, "Dear answer sheet."

Dear Answer Sheet,

When is our homework due? I can't remember and the teacher's handwriting is really bad, so I can't read her notes.

Sincerely,
Glen

P. S. Why do we need homework anyway?!?

Dear Glen,

You don't need homework. But your teacher needs it because it manifests that they still dictate your actions even from a distance.

Your homework is due on Monday, but if you refused to use Umlaute again in your essay, I am going to send a note to your mother. We have a Whatsapp group for your educational situation, did you know that? There's always a lively debate going on.

Sincerely,
Freckles

Back