Contest 23: Riddles!!

What is your favorite Riddle? (Poll option limit = 10, so riddles are grouped)

• by Peepiceek: #4 Stranger,#5 Late Convert, #6 Exile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • by Peepiceek: #7 Nose, #9 Mystery #20 Saviour, #39 Wordplay

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • by Peepiceek: #44 Dance, #46 Who Said to Whom?, #51 Sleeper

• by Bénisse:#2 Polarity, #54 Beware, #67 Found, #77 Promise

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • by Glenburne: #10 The Traveler, #36 Cook's Nightmare

• by Copperfox: #46 Deep Question, #60 Wrong Approach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
Attention all you hobbit-loving Narniacs!
You are invited to a test of wits in this next contest: Riddles!!

Write either a limerick or a 4-line poem that describes someone or something in the Chronicles for us all to enjoy, ponder, and guess. On May 12, Limerick Day, a poll will open in which all the members of the Dancing Lawn can vote on their favorite riddle in this thread.

Note to riddle-writers:
1. Multiple entries are fine, but when winners are selected, you may win only one prize even if more than one of your riddles are among the top three vote-getters.
2. Please also title each riddle you submit, so we can more easily track the guesses for your riddle versus others posted to this thread.

Let the games begin!

Polarity

Here’s a riddle to get us started; please visit this thread often as a guesser or a riddle writer or both, and please vote when the polls open on May 12, Limerick Day.

I long for home,
Yet you shall see
I long to roam!
Polarity.

Answer by Peeps

Hmm, longing for home made me first think of Bree, but I'm not sure where the longing to roam fits in. Longing to roll, yes, but not so much to roam.

So then I wondered about Reepicheep - longing for Aslan's country, his true home, but longing to explore too. So that's my guess.

I'm not so hot on the poetry writing, but I'll give it some thought.

Peeps

Stranger

Ok, here's a first effort. Not that much of a riddle, I don't think, but at least a poem.

What make you here
In cold, grey glow,
When light and life
Lie deep below?

answer by Benisse

Late convert

Benisse, what have you done to me? I'm supposed to be working.

Enlightened though thou be, while others fear,
In darkness thou deceiv’st for thine own fare.
Yet, lest whom thou mockest should appear,
Shouldst better from the first be true. Beware!

Right, that's all for now. Honest!

Bénisse = solution 1
Peeps' correction

Exile

Aaaaargh! Suddenly everything I try to write is turning into rhyming couplets.... Well, now I've started, here's one more.

Fault though there be, we know it not,
Folly to thwart, his role’s to intervene,
Malign though he seem, ‘tis all forgot
When uttered spell makes master’s Master seen.

Answer by Tirian, son of Erlian

Nose

Once a character pops into my head, I just can't get it out till I post... Thought I'd try my hand at a limerick this time. Not that any of these qualify much on the 'riddle' score. They barely count as poetry. I look forward to better attempts from others...

Well, I make use of mine as a hose,
Or for rotating and planting of those
Whose ambiguous kind
May yet be defined
To be animal, as any nose knows.

answer by Bénisse

Mystery

"Cute". I'll take it as a compliment, which is more than they deserve! But, yes, the Exile is Coriakin. I assume the others are to obvious to be worth checking, rather than too obscure to guess?

Maybe by May 12th I'll have come up with a poem I actually like. Still working on it. Nevertheless, here's one more to add to my collection.

Mystery
Mystery! That wicked act which makes others to weep
Be noble too, thanks to a Magic Deep,
That battler which lie still while quarrellers sleep
Be given to unshining star to keep.

Glenburne: Solution 1
Bénisse: Solution 2

"Stranger" guess

☆ Well guessed, Tirian! You are our first riddle solver (And great job on "The Exile" Peeps! ☆

Glenburne, your riddle has so much atmosphere, it gave me chills! (Now if we can only figure it out!?)
------------------------
As for Peeps' guess for "Polarity" You're absolutely right it is not Bree, and you deserve extra credit for your on-pointe comment "Longing to roll, yes, but not so much to roam." :D

I long for home,
Yet you shall see
I long to roam!
Polarity.

Also, I really like your Reepicheep guess, especially the part about Reepicheep's True Home being Aslan's Country :) However that is not the answer I am looking for either. Reep did not seem so torn as to fit the last line/word Polarity...
------------------------
What make you here
In cold, grey glow,
When light and life
Lie deep below?

Now for my guess for "Stranger" - It sounds as if Bism were calling to an underworlder slaving away and excavating the Tunnel for the Lady of the Green Kirtle...?

Benisse said:
Now for my guess for "Stranger" - It sounds as if Bism were calling to an underworlder slaving away and excavating the Tunnel for the Lady of the Green Kirtle...?
Yes, so can you pin it down to a specific character?

Peeps

on Polarity

Peeps,
You are really, really, really close with the green ring guess -- but not quite.

Hmm, well I pondered the yellow ring, but then I thought from the wording that it couldn't be. It was the green rings that Uncle Andrew called 'home' rings, but then they later discovered that in fact it was the green rings that wanted to get away from the wood.

So I don't think it can be the yellow ring, which seemed to Uncle Andrew to want to roam, but actually want to be home. Could it be the dust from which the rings were made?

Peeps

on Polarity

Yes! the answer is the dust in the box from Mrs. Lefay which both had the properties of being attracted to the Woods between the Worlds, as well as having the opposite property of being pulled away from that spot... So that's what I meant by Polarity, and of course it was from this dust the yellow and green rings were made that played such a key role in The Magician's Nephew.

Thanks for persevering, Peeps!

Stranger

Yes, so can you pin it down to a specific character?

What make you here
In cold, grey glow,
When light and life
Lie deep below?
Peeps

I'm going to have to ask for a lifeline if it means I need to guess a specific underworlder's name... I'm so bad at names! The only thing that is occurring to me is something like Muggotherim (?). Anyone else want to jump in and venture a guess?

Mullugutherum, and no it's not him. You're right that the last two lines could point to any of the gnomes, but the first two lines point to a specific one.

Peeps

Last edited:
Saviour

Slowly getting closer to a poem that I actually like... at least this one is a little bit more of a riddle.

Guiding saviour, dying saviour,
Finding saviour, crying saviour;
Saviours four upon the sea,
Yet saving’s work depends on me.

answer by Benisse

Back