Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I love the movies, but haven't read the books yet

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I'm all about the movies - forget the books

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • What books?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I love the movies...not so much the books. Although I still like reading them, in my opinion the movies just seem so much more 'real'. I am also obsessive about movies, mostly the behind-the-scenes stuff, so that could contribute to it too :p

"Hollywood can "tell us what a good story looks like," because these "good stories" were once books that people loved to read, and the movies made from the books were even more loved than the books themselves... by the majority."

Truman, no one is doubting Hollywood's ability to turn out a really good movie, even one based on a book. If it does really well, of course the majoirty of the people will be non-readers of the book. This is why I try to do a double review whenever I see a movie based on a book. I have to review it as a stand-alone movie and as an adaptation.

What would be really interesting is to compare the box office numbes of movies based on a book compareed to how the prior readers of the literature enjoyed the movie. All I can say is for me personally, some movies do a great job while others fail miserably.

My own personal list: Harry Potter 1 and LWW are great adaptations and movies.
Bridge to Terabithia, Golden Compass, City of Ember, and Spiderwick Chronicles were fair adaptations and good movies.
Neverending Story and The Devil's Arithmetic were a fair adaptations but good movies.
PC was a poor adaptation and a fair-good movie.

By the way, I've never seen Shawshank Redemption, Braveheart, or The Godfather so I cannot comment on any of them.

MrBob

I love the books, alot. <3
I love the new LWW movie, and I also like the old BBC ones. (mainly just Silver Chair)

I however...really DO NOT like the new Caspian movie.
It depressed me for a week after I saw it...it was so unfaithful to Narnia...I could sit here all night and complain why I didnt like it at all.

I swear, if they mess up The Last Battle let alone King Tirian like they did with PC and Caspian's character...

hollywood doesn't have a hold on me. Never has. Never will. I LIKE some movies, but I do not dwell on them. Only in the last few months I've bought some DVD's (like 10 or so) but that's because my family want's them, and when they rented them, they never returned them in time so we ended up paying over full price for renting the stupid things. Heck, I have gone to the theater/cinema only once since Prince Caspian came out (cause someone took me).

i am definately about the books first. i read them as a child (more than once) , then a teen (more than once) then an adult (more than once). then i saw the movie LWW and thought it was very well cast but they did make alot of the white witch's character and hardly any of aslan, whereas in the book, aslan is the feature and the witch is the supporting player. so i think the original message from the book about faith and belief in goodness outweighing evil was lost on my initial viewing of the movie, because it focused more on the power of evil than of good. however on subsequent viewings i love the movie. same with pc. interesting adaptation, again bringing out different themes to the book (no need to go into it we all know). but i enjoy the movie pc. what is in the books that is not in the movies and can never be in them is c s lewis' witty commentary/narrative. i smile and laugh so much at his opinions of what his characters are doing...!!!!!

Truman, no one is doubting Hollywood's ability to turn out a really good movie, even one based on a book. If it does really well, of course the majoirty of the people will be non-readers of the book. This is why I try to do a double review whenever I see a movie based on a book. I have to review it as a stand-alone movie and as an adaptation.
Yes, I know. But I was talking to BK, and BK does doubt Hollywood's abilities. Other than that I agree with you. :)

BK: How many movies have you seen in your life to think that Hollywood sucks at making films in general? Just wondering. :)

I am, was and always will be a books person. No matter how beautiful a movie can be made, nothing can beat the excitement by reading the books first. I sure love LWW as a movie but the books are placed first. Hollywood always go for the handsome and pretty ones first instead of a good storyline. Sure, there are many GREAT movies made but I look at it like this...the books brought us into the world and the movies give this world a face

I am, was and always will be a books person. No matter how beautiful a movie can be made, nothing can beat the excitement by reading the books first. I sure love LWW as a movie but the books are placed first. Hollywood always go for the handsome and pretty ones first instead of a good storyline. Sure, there are many GREAT movies made but I look at it like this...the books brought us into the world and the movies give this world a face
Well said, and point taken. :) I love your last line. :D

I love books, but enjoy movies. Once in a while the movies a equal or better, but usually they just don't do the books justice. :) I love to read!

I love books, but enjoy movies. Once in a while the movies a equal or better, but usually they just don't do the books justice. :) I love to read!
I very much agree. Almost always the movie cannot live up to the book. And I agree with Mrs. GGT that the books take precedence because usually we read them first and they have a special place in our hearts.

Mr. Bob, I liked your list, as far as the movies I have seen. I would add "Gone with the Wind" as a good adaptation of a book, and as a good movie.

Yes, I know. But I was talking to BK, and BK does doubt Hollywood's abilities. Other than that I agree with you. :)

BK: How many movies have you seen in your life to think that Hollywood sucks at making films in general? Just wondering. :)

I've had a good sample, and in the world of statistics, a good sample is usually representative. And everytime I watch another sample is the same all empty feeling. So yeah, I don't need to give them my money EVERY TIME.

Last edited:
think if i read the book before the movie i would be disappointed :rolleyes:
i find watching one or the other works for me :D
lolol, if that makes some sense :p

This is bizarre, but I'm really not a fan of either... I've seen the first two movies and have read like... the first few chapters or so of the first book?

Yeah, this'll shock you, but... I haven't actually read the books. I really do not know very much about Narnia... but I will change that once I get back home this summer!

Yeah, this'll shock you, but... I haven't actually read the books. I really do not know very much about Narnia... but I will change that once I get back home this summer!
It's not shocking - there are lots of people here who've only seen the movies. It's kind of surprising that you consider yourself "not a fan" of them but you're here, but hey - everyone's welcome.

By all means read the books! They're very easy reading, and well worth the effort!

It's not shocking - there are lots of people here who've only seen the movies. It's kind of surprising that you consider yourself "not a fan" of them but you're here, but hey - everyone's welcome.

By all means read the books! They're very easy reading, and well worth the effort!
I will say, though, that I do not have a disliking for the series as a whole or anything. I simply have not been terribly interested in reading it. But I'm going to make an effort once I have time this summer, at least.

And actually... I only kind of liked the first movie and really didn't like the second movie at all. Just my personal opinion, and I hope I enjoy the books better.

I will say, though, that I do not have a disliking for the series as a whole or anything. I simply have not been terribly interested in reading it. But I'm going to make an effort once I have time this summer, at least.

And actually... I only kind of liked the first movie and really didn't like the second movie at all. Just my personal opinion, and I hope I enjoy the books better.
When you read the books you will also realize that the second movie is actually called "Prince Non-Caspian."

Back