All duffers...

Sorry, Sopes, Derny's already the Queen of both Denial and Dufferdom, so you, mere mortal that you are, aren't allowed to go around denying your dufferhood. As Glen said to me the other day, "Sopespian... has been the only one Duffering very much lately (aside from GG, whose appetite is at least stable)."

And Hyper, we are indeed all crazy. Which is a very respectable state of being. ;)

I've learned something new about duffers today, they do like to lecture... :eek:

Last edited:
Anyone who comes onto this forum insisting he is a Telmarine and wants to subjugate all the Narnians definitely has the makings of a Duffer. :rolleyes: ;) Actually, Sopes is a good example of what Lossy was talking about--people who develop Dufferish qualities without necessarily getting into cliffs, cheese, etc. BC, another one of the "lost Duffers" (finally, a decent term for them, Lossiful!)--if I remember the threads I've read correctly--also didn't get much into that stuff. But others of the "lost Duffers" considered her the best, precisely because she was so original.

Feel free to come on a thread and completely ignore anything we've been talking about, and come up with something completely new, such as launching tomatoes from a potato launcher at a friend's dormroom. That can become our next duffer habbit. (In fact, I'll probably be trying that on Glen next chance I get.)

You will not, or I'll become the first Duffer to bite! :mad: :p

EDIT: The Lossy-tree is right, some of do like to lecture...I can see a college course now: "Materials and Methods of Duffering." We're hopeless.

Last edited:
@Hyper, Well, if you have some hidden superpower with which you can find out the type of jokes my mother makes (though they are not the most humorous... :rolleyes:), feel free to use them. :D

(EDIT: hmm.. complete miscommunication there. Sorry about that... :eek:)

I noticed something else, those who start threads wondering what duffering is all about always end up as duffers. Prime examples: me, Miss D, Sopes... watch out, Hyper! :D

@Glen. I'm completely ignoring you.

Last edited:
hyper-just because you said not to, I think I will:p I will still talk to you though. I'll try not to become to crazy.

@Hyper, Well, if you have some hidden superpower with which you can find out the type of jokes my mother makes (though they are not the most humorous... :rolleyes:), feel free to use them. :D

(EDIT: hmm.. complete miscommunication there. Sorry about that... :eek:)

Wait, do you know what a your mom joke is?

Say if someone says "I like donuts"

Then you say so does your mom!

get it? xD... Really cheesy, but its funny sometimes (you just can't take the Your mom part too seriously xD... )

hyper-just because you said not to, I think I will:p I will still talk to you though. I'll try not to become to crazy.

Well, its your choice xD

no momma jokes, only rubber bananas.

First of all, I don't think Cliff the Cliff will be very happy about anyone mentioning his/its/ mommy. You could however try to make momma jokes about the Shiny Can's momma, but be forewarned that there are many can followers here so if you're talking about the can's momma, you're talking about everyone's momma.

Personally I prefer Yo mon! jokes, but only when I'm eating cheez whiz, which is most of the time. Which reminds me, I want to give GG's superpowers so she'll be able to make cheez whiz and put it on everything. After all, a kitchen sink, a tractor tire, a visitor's message, or even a chair would taste better with that stuff on.

One thing I don't understand, duffer tho I am, is how come GG hasn't eaten the rubber banana? Or has she?:eek:

The point of my rant, hyper, is that if you don't get anything about duffers, don't worry, they really haven't heard anything you've said anyway. Right now, they probably don't get you either. They're all busy preparing for their upcoming field trip to Fernyland. They go crazy on the Fernycoasters and really, really love to sit down at night and watch the Fernyworks show.

EDIT: Water buffaloes are funny, but I haven't gotten mine yet, so I think I'll complain about it soon. Beware of the Reepinator tho.

Last edited:
Well, somebody ate the rubber banana at one point, since we're supposed to be going "HYRBBA" (hands you rubber banana belly ache, or something to that effect).

I'm sorry about our constant references. :p Another thing about duffers. We are a very compulsive people. It takes out utmost self control to not duffer when someone mentions the word. :rolleyes:

Well, somebody ate the rubber banana at one point, since we're supposed to be going "HYRBBA" (hands you rubber banana belly ache, or something to that effect).

I think I did...but that thread needs CPR.

And yes, Hyper--the Lossy-tree's comment above post explains why you made me groan so much in my initial comment on this thread. I so wanted to hijack the thread for whales, cliffs, etc., but I didn't think you would like that. ;) And I need to get off the Lawn; my constitutional history test is calling. *shudders*

Alright, lets have something to talk about here.

How are duffers with riddles?

Here it is:

The more of these you take, the more you leave behind. What am I?

Oooh man I can't wait to see some replies...

I decided this thread is for me to figure out about duffers [I'll understand your inside jokes someday MUAHAHA]

Hyper, they're not being annoying. They've given you serious answers, and they've been silly when it was okay to do so. You don't have any room to complain, really. If this annoys you, then it's okay for you not to duffer.

Hyper, they're not being annoying. They've given you serious answers, and they've been silly when it was okay to do so. You don't have any room to complain, really. If this annoys you, then it's okay for you not to duffer.

Answer the riddle xD

and I didn't exactly say they were annoying. It annoyed ME that there are so many references and jokes behind my back, I can't stand it ><

As a perfectionist, I feel I need to know EVERYTHING! And when I can't I cannot stand it.

Answer the riddle xD

and I didn't exactly say they were annoying. It annoyed ME that there are so many references and jokes behind my back, I can't stand it ><

As a perfectionist, I feel I need to know EVERYTHING! And when I can't I cannot stand it.
We posted at the same time, and I didn't see the riddle until now. I have no idea what the answer is.

Nobody is doing anything behind your back! If that's the way you feel, then you won't be able to handle Dufferland. If you want to know more, then ask questions and do the research. Let other people have a good time.

the only thing i can come up with so far is time... though that doesn't fit perfectly either.

or cookies. we're always eating cookies from each other, yet there seems to be a constant abundance...

I will return from class with a better answer. :D

the only thing i can come up with so far is time... though that doesn't fit perfectly either.

or cookies. we're always eating cookies from each other, yet there seems to be a constant abundance...

I will return from class with a better answer. :D

That was the first thing I came up with too (time not cookies LOL), but:

TIME IS NOT THE RIGHT ANSWER (nor cookies)

Answer the riddle xD

I have no idea what the riddle means.:p

The references and jokes aren't meant to be "behind your back" at all. Most of them just developed when you weren't around, and people don't try to hide them. I still don't completely get many of them (though I don't consider myself a very dufferish duffer), because I haven't put time and energy into studying them. But it doesn't bother me, and I've picked up a lot just by being around people who have a better grasp than me. If you just do it, most of the understanding comes by itself.

Prolixity on the Subject of Duffers

What follows may well be considered an essay on Duffers.
The author apologizes for the length but hopes that much insight might be obtained by reading the post in its entirety.

First off, I am not a Duffer.

Though not one of their number, I understand Duffers very well. I am related to a Duffer and most of my friends are Duffers, so if I did not understand duffering, I would be in a very sorry state indeed.

There are three ways by which to gain understanding of Duffers: one, to conduct research; two, to learn from experience; and three, to ask a knowledgeable source for an explanation of a certain phenomenon. All three of these are closely and nearly inseparably linked.

One: Research

Like any good scientist knows, if you want to learn more about a specific species or life-form, systematic investigation (also known as research) is the most efficient and proven ways of learning about said life-form. It was the desire to know, to search, and to research that prompted the creation of the search-engine, a device which TDL possesses. If I am curious about, say, the lonely banana (something which I have heard mentioned, but have no idea what it is, besides, perhaps, a banana which is alone), it is an easy thing to employ a search.

Using the search box located at the top right corner of any and every page of TDL, I type in my query (the lonely banana), answer the spambot-defeating question, and hit 'search now'. The search-engine responds with eighteen results. About half of the top ten results have either the word 'Duffer' or the word 'addicted' in the title (which I hardly think this is a coincidence, as most Duffers are addicted to duffering). I scroll down until I see something promising: the word 'encyclopedia'.

You are probably familiar with the word, if not with an encyclopedia itself. An encyclopedia gives information on several subjects or on many aspects of one subject. In this case, the encyclopedia is on Duffers and things related to Duffers. As it is entitled The Duffer Encyclopedia, 2nd Edition, I assume that it is fairly up-to-date and well-informed (second editions usually are).

Since I have conducted a search, the words I searched ('lonely', 'banana') are highlighted in red. I scroll down until I spot the entry 'Banana, the Lonely'. Clicking the provided link, I am taken to a post which explains what, or rather who, the Lonely Banana is. (Please note that I now capitalize his name; this is a result of me learning who he is.)

I have just conducted a bit of research on the Lonely Banana. I am still curious though, so after I finish writing this post, I intend to trot over to Glenburne's profile and ask her for a bit more information regarding the Lonely Banana.

The majority of the things I have learned about Duffers I have learned through research. Most of this research was done on either one of two threads: 'The Duffer Encyclopedia, 2nd Edition' or 'The Order of the Can III'. I highly recommend these two resources.

'The Duffer Encyclopedia' is, as its name states, an encyclopedia. It gives (relatively) brief descriptions of Duffer Things and sometimes includes in its entries a short summary of the origin of the Thing and, in some cases, provides a link to the original thread on which the Thing originated.

'The Order of the Can III' is quite extensive (one hundred twenty-nine pages, to be exact), but the very first post is extraordinarily helpful. It contains a list of Duffer training resources and in addendum "The Duffer Library: Archive of Notable Comments, Conversations, and Conglomerations of Duffer information, etc." The latter includes a link to "Info on Cheese Whiz" and two videos on how to throw someone off a cliff.

Two: Experience

To paraphrase an axiom, there is no teacher like Experience.

I have learned that many Dufferisms are invented spur-of-the-moment and have no meaning at all behind them. Duffers are known for being random; in fact, it is one of the most prevailing trademarks of a Duffer.

Interacting with Duffers may confuse you at first, but if you approach Duffers with the understanding that, one: interacting with them might confuse you, and two: Duffers are random creatures not to be constrained by time, space, or logic; then you will find yourself much less likely to be confused.

The more time you spend with Duffers, the better able you will be to predict their wild moods and fantastic habits. Just as one can learn a language by either careful study or immersion, one can learn to duffer by either of the same means.

Three: Explanation

Duffers are, by both nature and habit, friendly creatures. If you have conducted the necessary research and have yet to find a suitable explanation for something, they would be happy to enlighten you on the subject, whatever it may be.

If they themselves do not know the answer, they will point you to someone who (or something which) might. Some Duffers might whalesplat other Duffers without completely understanding the nature and origin of whalesplatting. In such a case, if you were to ask one of those Duffers about whalesplatting, they would either suggest that you look it up in The Duffer Encyclopedia, 2nd Edition or suggest a Duffer who might be more knowledgeable on the subject of whalesplatting.

Just as one can be a fan of the Beatles without knowing anything about them, one can duffer or mention a Duffer Thing (which could be interpreted as an inside joke) without knowing the meaning behind the action or the thing. Just because you do not know what a whalesplat is does not mean you cannot whalesplat, but your whalesplatting might be much more accurate and timely if you know the meaning and reason behind the action.

Lastly but Not Leastly

Duffers are generally a very witty bunch. They vastly appreciate those who are also witty, but you should not feel intimidated by that or feel that you must possess a certain vocabulary to be a Duffer.

Duffers are very kind and gentle creatures and are not known for biting. Yet, like any other creature, a Duffer, when provoked, will defend themselves or come to the defense of Duffers in general. An offended Duffer can be scathing, so it is best not to raise their ire.

Duffers are very friendly and eagerly accept neophyte Duffers who can add to the extraordinary fun of duffering.

My apologies for such a prolix post, and I hope no one, Duffer or otherwise, takes offense at anything said.
The point of it all was instruction and humor.

Last edited:
Back