The First Love Of Alipang Havens

Thank you. I intended him to be a shades-of-gray character, neither all bad nor all good. More good than bad at heart, but still guilty--if you care to call it that--of serving a dictatorship, albeit a dictatorship that is mellowing. In the interests of truthful disclosure, I confess that I have not yet decided what will ultimately happen with Yang: whether he will arrive at some dramatic destiny, or in the end be just a supporting character who doesn't require an onstage dramatic destiny.

Alipang Havens was in the midst of giving a dental examination to a five-year-old Amish boy, whose father would be examined next, when the rotor-sound, clearly audible through the open side of the dental trailer, filled everyone's ears. Kim, not currently needed for acupuncture, stepped outside and caught a glimpse of the helicopter.

"Looks like it's coming down," she called to her husband. "It isn't an Overseer chopper, it has Energy Department markings."

Alipang did not look away from his patient, but replied, "I think I know what that's about. Didn't Sylvia tell us she had been asked to lodge two researchers?"

"That's right; even without them being able to force her if they wanted to, she could hardly pass up the amount of money the triumvirate was offering. Do you mind if I go try to have a look at the strangers?"

"Sure, Kim, go ahead. I can't live without you, but I can live with you satisfying our curiosity."

Kim rounded up their daughter Esperanza to go with her, because Esperanza owned a bicycle and had mastered riding it. Mother and daughter biked their way to the government building, near which the helicopter would be landing. Other Sussex residents were being drawn to the same place by the same curiosity; they knew of the July visit of reporter Dynamo Earthquake to the Overseer outpost north of them, but this was the first time since the Enclave's founding that such a non-governmental visit had been paid directly TO Sussex. Besides Sylvia Lathrop herself, Mrs. Rochefort and her children were among the gathering onlookers.

The first sight of the visitors was a short-lived one, as they disembarked from the helicopter and carried their own baggage into the building. A tall Caucasian man, and a hard-looking Chinese man, both in civilian clothes. "They'll be getting some kind of briefing in there, before they're introduced to me," Mrs. Lathrop explained to Kim.

Sussex had no mayor; but as a regular participant in the irregular town meetings, Mrs. Rochefort undertook to offer something like a mayoral welcome when, minutes later, the strangers emerged in the company of the federal office workers. The reputed researchers graciously acknowledged the welcome; and once their hostess was pointed out to them, they introduced themselves as Bert Randall and Yang Sung-Kuo. Yang said something which sounded a bit canned, about studying the ways education for children was continued by a community set apart from the mainstream of its nation; then Randall took over, with much more easygoing talk about the pleasure of meeting these fine people. He even startled the public servants flanking him by revealing one thing he had learned about his hostess: "I understand you're a pillar of the Sussex Gospel Church."

"More a pill than a pillar," the elderly widow replied. This quip went over the heads of both visitors; the colloquial use of the word "pill" to refer to a silly person dated back before their time. The handyman's wife having already made herself known, Mrs. Lathrop went on to point out Kim: "--the wife of our local dentist and television star."

Yang and Randall shook hands with Kim. Bert Randall added a handshake for Esperanza, telling the child, "I've seen the television show that your parents were on. Both of us hope to meet your father soon."

"You got a toothache, sir?"

"Headaches now and then, young lady, but no toothaches."

Yang suddenly put in: "We would like to see him show his skill in archery and horsemanship."

"That can probably be arranged," remarked Kim, "sometime after he finishes his latest batch of appointments."

Last edited:
Although the fading sunset was no sign of crime danger to anyone in Sussex, it was a sign of inconvenience in a town with limited electrical power; so the locals soon headed back to their homes and suppers. A pedicab driver--prepaid by one of the federal employees--made his last run of the day, transporting Sylvia Lathrop and her two guests to her house. (The solitary light-rail train the town possessed circled its course no more than four separate times on any day: a sufficiently limited usage to make its own solar panels adequate for its power.)

"Odd to be in one of these here," observed Major Yang. "They used to be all over the place in China, but they're not so common anymore. Citizen Lathrop, do you own any personal transportation?"

"Mister Yang, you realize that no one in the United, I mean the Diversity States is supposed to own a private motor vehicle anymore; and I'm too old to sit a horse. I do have a tricycle, you know, the big senior-citizen type. And there's the light rail, in our case a single two-car train making the circuit of one loop of track, passing near the stop for the overland railway. But you gentlemen both look as if walking a few kilometers won't be any strain on you. And since you're interested in the homeschoolers, my house is a good base of operations for you; no fewer than eight homeschooling families live within two blocks of me."

"That leads to a question I didn't think to ask sooner about this particular town," said Bert. "Is there any systematic teaching of international languages hereabouts?"

"Let me think...Two households near me teach their children Spanish. The Amish families, away west of here, teach their children German. And Mister Tomisaburo from across town, he comes over to a couple of the families and teaches them a bit of Japanese, as a novelty. Only the spoken language in his case; doesn't expect them to tackle written Japanese, what with it having three alphabets."

"What about Dr. Havens?" asked Yang. "We're aware that he's a Filipino native; does he teach his children Tagalog?"

"Now you mention it, I believe he does--but probably not formally, probably even less formally than Mister Tomisaburo with Japanese. Outside his own home, Alipang's more likely to be heard speaking in Elizabethan English. You see, he courted Kim by reciting Shakespeare to her."

Bert suddenly grinned. "I bet you don't mean the Revised Shakespeare Series."

When they reached the Lathrop house, the guests doffed their jackets--revealing the shoulder holsters of their borrowed pistols. Sylvia's eyes widened a little at the sight, but she kept her calm, saying, "I guess you're expecting classroom discussions to become heated?"

"Not that heated." Bert looked a bit sheepish. "The Deputy Commander wanted us to believe that we were in some danger here, but we both take that with a block of salt. Here, we'll hang up the hardware someplace; they're safe, they literally can't fire unless we're holding the grips. What's for supper?"

"Food that didn't need to be kept warm: bread and butter, and a large dinner salad which includes turnip greens and fragments of bearmeat jerky. Sun tea to drink. Will you gentlemen call it hate speech if I give thanks to God for our food?"

"Not at all," Yang hastened to assure her. "China doesn't take any such attitude now, still less does Australia."

Last edited:
After supper, all three of them sat in the living room to converse. Yang, deprived of much small-talk material by his resolution to tell nothing of his paramilitary career, tossed off a remark that the Lathrop home had more floor space than he had _ever_ seen allotted to one lone person's living needs in any part of the Diversity States outside the Enclave. To this, Sylvia Lathrop merely responded that she had used her home as a short-term boarding house more than once since the resettlement.

Bert, with less cause to conceal anything, talked at length about his visits--both before and since joining up with Yang--to regular schools and Tolerance Houses across America, plus a bit about their stopover in Hot Springs yesterday. The net effect of what he described was that Sylvia felt a little _better_ about the exile children living here instead of out there. Bert also said a few things about his parents and siblings back in Australia; this encouraged the Major to speak likewise about Tupsim and their daughters, even showing pictures to Sylvia. The elderly widow was glad to see those pictures; they made the less vivacious of her guests more human in her eyes.

The turning point, with respect to Sylvia doing much talking herself, came when Yang, well aware of his less-engaging personality, made the effort to ask a personal question _without_ it sounding like interrogation of a crime suspect: "Citizen Lathrop, would you mind describing to us how you came to hold your spiritual beliefs?"

"Since you boys can both attest that I didn't _push_ anything on you, I'll be delighted." She paused, almost imperceptibly; the observant Major, noting this, wondered if she might be mentally praying, asking her God to make her words serve a good purpose.

In all his career, Yang Sung-Kuo had never been more _correct_ in an observation.

"I was born in 1949, at a time when the Christian faith was universally _present_ in America, but far from being as _vigorous_ as in the First Century. By the time I began college, the hippie movement had gotten started, and was flattering itself that it was only just then inventing love and compassion for the first time in the history of the world. To my discredit, I bought into it for awhile, because my churchy upbringing was dull and uninspiring. I avoided the worst of the self-destructive habits kids were dabbling in, but it took years for me to see that the very _core_ of hippie thinking was all wrong, too emotional and too irresponsible.

"Actually, it didn't so much take years, as it took Harry Lathrop, the man I was destined to marry. He had kept out of the hippie scene; he was an engineering student, who registered for the draft but didn't happen to be called up. He was everything my hippie friends--and some of the teachers!--told me to despise, except that he wasn't a racist. But I couldn't despise him, because all the time the flower children made noises about love, Harry was actually _practicing_ love. He was doing things like visiting old people in nursing homes, while the hippies were partying and vandalizing campus facilities..."

Both men were enthralled by their hostess' account of how the late Harold Lathrop had led the college girl Sylvia Darby to a vibrant faith in Jesus Christ, and how he had then married her and started a Christian family with her. Harry had passed away before the overturn of the United States; but his widow, even after losing the ability to see her grown children, had been upheld--still WAS upheld--by the unshakable belief that one day she would enter a _literal_ Heaven, and literally embrace her Harry once again.

By the time they retired to their bedrooms, Bert and the Major had both formed a resolution not to underestimate the exile Sylvia Lathrop.

Last edited:
Though his room was comfortable enough, Major Yang could not easily fall asleep. Remembering what he had heard about the exiles being expected to leave their doors unlocked most of the time, he decided he would be able to get back in without disturbing Mrs. Lathrop; so he leaped out of his second-story window, landing expertly, and jogged away along the dark streets.

He encountered one living creature outdoors: a prowling fox, which inspected him from a safe distance, then moved away. Major Yang was more agitated about the encounter than the fox was, because it made him think about the were-foxes of Chinese legend, who assumed human form to deceive ordinary mortals. Major Yang was not superstitious; but the mere fact of seeing something which _reminded_ him of a superstition, reinforced the odd feelings the Enclave was giving him. His own government had recommended this measure of confinement for America's Christians, though it was the Americans themselves who had chosen the exact location and had found productive work for the exiles to do; but having known _about_ the Enclave since its founding was not the same as being _inside_ it himself.

Suddenly, he wanted to speak to Tupsim. As a person of some official standing, he had been allowed to bring his satellite phone with him, on the condition that he let the Overseers check it for its frequency range, and promised that any calls he made would be unencrypted. So now, knowing they could monitor all he said, he proceeded to make his call home; after all, it really was legitimately personal. It would be daytime in Beijing.

"Sung-Kuo! Are you all right?"

"Yes, my peach tree, I'm fine. How are the girls?" Calling Tupsim his peach tree was his signal to her that, while he was in no trouble, they did have to take care what they said. She would follow his lead from there.

"All of them are practicing furiously at dancing with streamers; the apartment seems to be filled with red comets. They'll all do splendidly for National Day; because they have each other for support, they can practice more constantly than children with no siblings can." Tupsim was referring to the impending celebration of the October 1 anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic. Her not asking whether her husband would be home in time to see it, showed that she was doing her best not to create any awkwardness for him. It flickered through the Major's mind to wonder how often men in a situation like his cheated on their wives, reasoning that what the wives didn't know, wouldn't hurt them. Yang had never done this, nor would he; but he knew men and women who had thus cheated while travelling. Next, he wondered whether the Christian men hereabouts were as faithful to _their_ wives as their Bible called for.

"I'm doing my part to promote their fame," he told his wife. "This evening, I showed their pictures, and yours, to the elderly widow who is lodging Mr. Randall and me. She, by the way, seems to have the same sincere spirit as the unregistered Chinese Christians in the old days. I'm waiting to see if all of the people here come across as equally genuine." This part was as businesslike as his call would get; the rest was all married-couple talk, allowing them to hear each other's voices. With an Overseer presumably listening (Yang would have had any American visitor in China monitored if the positions had been reversed), he would not explicitly tell Tupsim that he loved her; but he knew that she knew. He did say it to her often enough when he was at home.

When it was over, he returned to Sylvia's house, where he succeeded at coming in the front door without awakening the others in their rooms.

Last edited:
I'm glad Yang has a real relationship with his wife, unlike most of the people outside the Enclave you've mentioned so far.

Since my most faithful current reader mentions relationships, it's appropriate that my latest review-post focusses ON the state of relationships among characters:

Couples, Teams, Friendships & Family Ties!

1) Lorraine Kramer and Bill Shao have been in the background for awhile; but honest, they are engaged to be married, about five weeks from the present time in the story. Bill just can't get away often from his grid-technician job at Power Station 27. We'll see more of them in the next chapter.

2) Lorraine's surviving son Ransom, though too young to be married, is becoming romantically attracted to Lydia Reinhart, the Amish farm girl. This will lend urgency to the question of whether the exiled Amish will discontinue their traditional refusal to marry outside their (perilously small) community.

3) Daffodil Ford was attracted to Thundercrash Bellingham, a girl at the Boston Tolerance House. She revealed that she was also attracted to him--for all the good it did either of them. The ultra-controlling "Tolerance" system prevented them from even enjoying a friendship worth mentioning, which is part of the reason why Daffodil has been having crazy shaking fits.

4) Samantha, Daffodil's career-ambassador mother, had been coasting along with fairly easy diplomatic assignments, so that she could indulge in plenty of recreation time with her assistant Cassandra Jefferson--just as she had done with Nalani Hahona before Cassandra, and with Carlota Ruiz before Nalani. But when it rains, it pours: now, at the same time as Daffodil's troubles are becoming impossible to ignore, Samantha has also been drawn into real intrigue which could put her in actual danger.

5) President Jessica Trevette and Vice-President Carlos Anselmo are at ground zero of the intrigue. For the report Samantha received was that Supreme Court Chief Justice Sherman Lake is planning a "palace revolution." This, however, has not yet been conclusively verified.

6) That's not the only intrigue. The Romanian-Polish Colonel Tiberiu Parnescu has recruited Alipang's old highschool pal, Marine Corps veteran Brendan Hyland, as part of a highly covert commando force which will perform various missions aimed at protecting what's left of Western civilization. To facilitate Brendan being able to function, the Colonel has obtained state-of-the-art tissue regeneration for him, growing back his missing eye.

7) Melody Havens Vasquez is still expecting her baby. Her Texas Ranger husband Emilio has become part of the secret project to provide Texas, and other parts of the Diversity States, with some viable defense against air attacks from Aztlan.

8) Back in the Enclave, Tilly De Soto is in hospice-homecare mode, looking after her journalist husband Miguel as he waits to die of cancer. At least Miguel has the satisfaction of knowing that the messages he shot over the Enclave perimeter fence were found by a sympathetic finder.

9) Overseer Dana Pickering, who was in the Enclave until recently, chose to take an assignment near the Enclave. As a result, she has by now met Forest Ranger Mark Terrell, the finder of Miguel's notes that told of Overseer atrocities. But I must tell you that the current spiritual and moral condition of Mark, and even of Dana, is not so elevated that their first interest in getting to know each other will have anything to do with exposing evil Overseers. :rolleyes:

10) Summer Heron Rand, who once was a sort of extra sister to Alipang and who is now married to fellow Christian Evan Rand, still is recovering from the violent abuse she suffered as a political prisoner in a "Self-Esteem Center." By the time we get back to Summer and Evan, they will have learned of Dan Salisbury's success in tracing the stolen Rand children.

Chapter 30: Slight Trouble from Greater China

Early the next morning, Alipang and Wilson, usually the earliest risers in their home, found that Lorraine was up and dressed ahead of them.

"Al," she half-whispered with an anxious look on her face, "you and Kim were so busy last night briefing the children for possible encounters with those outside visitors, I never found a time to talk about this, and then you went to bed...I'm worried about Bill." Her fiance had a day off work, and had gotten on an early train which would be in Sussex before much of the morning passed.

"What, you can't be thinking he's changed his mind about you?" said Alipang.

"No, nothing like that. It's because HE doesn't know what WE know: that one of these researchers is from China. Remember, Bill's Taiwanese! His home was taken over by force; and if he walks in here and meets a Chinese Communist without advance warning, he might show some emotion that'll get him in trouble."

"So what can we do to help?" asked Wilson, the namesake of Aunt Lorraine's deceased husband.

"One thing, of course, would be to avoid the subject of Bill if you find yourself talking with the Chinese researcher. But more immediately--Al, can I borrow Sammy and Lacey?"

"For what? Bill doesn't know how to ride a horse."

"But if I meet him at the train station with the horses, he won't refuse to be given a riding lesson; you know I've talked with him before about learning horsemanship. That will keep him occupied, and AWAY from people, until I've had a chance to prepare him for a possible encounter with that man Yang."

"Makes sense...Wilson, since Ransom's away at farm work again, I want you to take his place helping Lorraine to saddle up the horses. In fact, you ride the stallion yourself to the train station, while she rides the mare. That way, you can be checking to make sure Sammy's in a decent mood." Sammy had a good disposition generally, but a stallion was a stallion. "If everything seems okay, then once Bill's with you, Lorraine can switch to riding Sammy, letting Bill take Lacey. Sammy knows Lorraine well enough."

"So I'll be walking home from the platform, right, Papa?" Walking didn't bother the early-teenage boy, but he had an idea to go with it. "Is it okay if I go outside town and set some rabbit snares before I come home?"

Alipang gave that a little thought, then replied, "Should be all right, it'll be full daylight by then. But if you plan to go completely beyond all habitation, remember your bear precautions and snake precautions. And take your bow along."

"Yes, Papa, thanks."

"And my thanks, too," Lorraine echoed.

Alipang looked at her. "One thing--forgive me if you've already thought of this. You yourself have talked with Kim a time or two about Bill still having a little uneasiness about following in the footsteps of a man like Lieutenant Kramer. If you don't want your plan for trouble avoidance to create more trouble than it avoids, try very hard NOT to make Bill feel as if you're protecting him because he's weak."

Lorraine nodded. "Yes, I'll remember that. Can we pray about it now?" And so the three of them prayed, before getting to morning chores.

Last edited:
Some ten minutes after Lorraine and Wilson had set out with the horses, thus about twenty minutes after the Havens household's breakfast, Alipang was in the dental trailer making ready for his patients of the day: none of them with drastic problems as far as he knew. Kim, the only adult or even near-adult person remaining in the actual house, was making ready to lead Esperanza and Brendan through their homeschooling lessons...when a knock on the door, and Kim's call to come in, were followed by the appearance of Annette Rochefort, the handyman's wife. Annette was carrying her nineteen-month-old daughter.

"What's up, Annette? Have a seat. Is Ondine having trouble with her baby teeth?"

"No, not at all. I just wondered if Esperanza would be free to come over to our house this afternoon and play with Veronique."

"Can I go over NOW?" Esperanza interjected.

"No, dear, your lessons come first," said Kim, then faced her friend again. "Would it be all right if your daughter came over here instead? I want both of my younger ones here if those researchers drop by."

Annette's dark face turned pensive. "That's right, we did hear that they had some special interest in your family, which argues for the possibility of their coming here today. Are you thinking that a good showing to the visitors of what homeschooling has done for Esperanza and Brendan may cause those men to publicize on the outside what scholastic excellence we superstitious, intolerant Christians possess?"

"I would hope for that. We believers could scarcely get any LESS favorable publicity than what most media outlets currently say about us outside the fence. Any change could only be for the better."

Annette nodded. "Which raises a question I seldom think about, but which is intriguing if one does think about it. Since not every country suppresses the faith, I wonder what things are said about us in, say, Poland or India or Brazil?"

"At least we may soon pick up something about what the Chinese and Australians think of us. But to complete a thought: if we could have Veronique here, her presence would only reinforce the display of smart kids, and at the same time strike a blow against the old Tired-Old." Kim knew that Annette would know what she meant: the tired old lie that Christians were specially prone to racial bigotry by nature.

Annette's smile turned mischievous. "Then let's reinforce you still more: when Veronique comes over here, let Philippe come too." She referred to her eleven-year-old son, who was already restless because his elder brother Gustave would be out of the house working with Papa today, while Philippe was not yet allowed to do this.

Kim radiated an answering smile. "Yes, I'm sure we can find something for Philippe to do. Maybe even help Alipang with something in the dental office, since I have to stay with the kids in Lorraine's absence."

"Lorraine--Oh, yes, today her beau is in town, isn't he?"

Kim chose not to mention Lorraine's anxiety about Bill Shao running into Yang Sung-Kuo. Instead: "He is. And if they're going to have a horseback honeymoon, he needs to be able to sit tall in the saddle."

Lorraine had learned by now how to say "I love you" in Cantonese. When Bill Shao stepped out of his train car, she said it, and saw his ordinary face turn dashingly handsome under the influence of delight.

This being a day trip, the Taiwanese emigrant was carrying no luggage, unless one counted a backpack he wore; thus, there was nothing to slow him down from reaching to embrace the captivating widow he still could hardly believe he had won for himself. They did not kiss, though; like many persons of Chinese background, Bill was highly inhibited about being seen kissing someone. Indeed, so far since becoming engaged they had only ever kissed six times even in private, and that was including two one-way kisses from Lorraine to Bill. But this was not a matter of indifference on Bill's part. He found other ways to express his devotion to his betrothed, not least of which was letting her talk as much and as candidly as she wanted when they were together, on any subject.

For such freedom of meaningful talk had also been one of the best features of Lorraine's restored relationship with Wilson Kramer. In their original marriage, Lorraine had made up a pretended grievance over her husband supposedly neglecting her in favor of his career--when in fact he had been with her as much as his Navy SEAL duties had permitted, ignoring the Navy's own social events if they didn't suit his wife, and it had been Lorraine who shortchanged Wilson on attention when he was home. Her outright adultery and eventual desertion had merely been the logical extension of the narcissism in her heart. But when a chastened and converted Lorraine had later made a prodigal's return, the timing had been perfect: being then retired from the War on Terror, Wilson had been so much more available that they both gained the maximum benefit from being together again.

Bill did not have a career which would take him to any far-off lands (as if ANY Enclave exile had such a career!); so he would have good availability to Lorraine from the start of their marriage. And he gave every sign of intending to cultivate a healthy all-around closeness between them.

While Bill and Lorraine were trading endearments, the son of Alipang Havens who bore the first name of the honored Lieutenant Kramer was making himself useful. Horses not being allowed onto the train platform (though Sussex was more indulgent with horses than the larger town of Casper), Wilson Havens was minding Sammy and Lacey. This included letting them have a drink at the watering trough the station kept for the benefit of all neighborhood horses. Presently, the happy couple came over to join him. Bill clapped the boy on the shoulder and said, "I understand I'm about to learn to drive these grass-fuelled cars."

"That's right, Uncle Bill," Wilson replied, which was a pleasing surprise to the Taiwanese. This was the first time any of Alipang and Kim's children had addressed him this way, extending to him the honorary adoption long enjoyed by Aunt Lorraine. "And with these vehicles, you can even have a co-pilot walking on the ground beside you. Here, come on and say hello to Lacey."

While his adopted aunt took charge of the Palomino stallion, Wilson laid his hands on the mare's cheeks, talking to her affectionately. "What a good girl you are, Lacey. We want you to be extra nice for Uncle Bill now. He's going to start by showing you he's good company too, aren't you, Uncle Bill?"

Bill had talked to both Havens horses before this, had patted their necks and foreheads. Now he stepped in, imitating Wilson's manner with the mare, and seeming to do it well enough; Lacey showed no sign of displeasure at his attentions. After some explanation of basics, Wilson guided Bill through the procedure of setting his left foot in the near-side stirrup and climbing into the saddle. Then he showed Bill how to hold the reins, though the boy himself would be initially leading Lacey with a hand on her bridle. "Has she carried beginners before?" Bill asked--to which Wilson smilingly replied, "Yes, my own brother and sister." Lorraine, who of course was wearing pants, had already hoisted herself onto Sammy's back unassisted.

They set out at a leisurely walk. While physically keeping the mare on course, Wilson henceforth left it to Aunt Lorraine to keep up a stream of informative speech about the equestrian art. In between spells of instruction, Bill was allowed in turn to talk about events at his workplace. He did not for now say anything about Odette Galloway; he would wait until he and Lorraine were alone to relate how puffed-up that young woman had become over the prospect of being selected as an Energy Ombudsman.

Crossing the vaguely-defined city limits, the two horses and three humans headed into some vacant grassy land, a sort of buffer between Sussex and the nearest farms. One outlying structure, a deserted former gas station, added a bit of artistic contrast to the scene.

Wilson was deliberately stomping his feet on the overgrown turf as they went. When Bill asked him why he was doing this, the boy explained, "It's to make sure that any rattlers nearby feel our vibrations, know we're coming, and have plenty of time to get out of our way."

Bill had researched the state of Wyoming a bit before he ever accepted his Enclave assignment. "I understand that the prairie rattlesnake is the only venomous reptile indigenous to Wyoming, and that they're not very aggressive."

"Correct on both points," Lorraine assured him. "But even a mild-mannered viper is not likely to take kindly to being startled. What's more: the same tree-huggers in the Forestry Service who caused bears, wolves, cougars, bobcats, lynx, coyotes, foxes and weasels to be dumped upon us in generous numbers, also transplanted additional poisonous snakes into the Enclave--at least two new species of rattlesnakes, plus copperheads."

Wilson lightly tapped knuckles on Bill's knee. "Did Aunt Lorraine ever tell you that my Papa used to eat snakes in the Philippines?"

"She did, one time when I'd been talking about what a variety of things Chinese people will eat."

"Well, Papa catches and eats rattlers here, too. Mom and Essie won't touch snake meat, but Ransom, Brendan and I love it, and Aunt Lorraine's okay with it. Usually we have it in a stew."

"Does it actually taste like chicken?"

"Yes, in fact, it does. When we have chicken for supper at our house, Mom always makes a game of checking that Papa isn't slipping any snake meat onto the platter."

By the time Wilson turned Lacey loose and headed off in a different direction to set his rabbit snares, Bill was adequately comfortable with his cooperative steed, reinforced in his confidence of being accepted by the whole Havens-Kramer household--and ready for serious talk with his beautiful fiancee.

Last edited:
"Essie, can you find British Honduras?"

Among the countless odds and ends left behind when the NON-dissidents had been moved OUT of the territory demarcated for the Western Enclave, Kim had salvaged a globe of the world that was much older than she was. It was more than fifty years out of date, but Kim and Lorraine had used its very obsoleteness as an aid in teaching history. Wilson had profited by it in the earliest months of learning under the new internal-exile conditions. Now, after an interim of lending it to other homeschooling families for the same purpose, the old globe was being used for Wilson's nine-year-old sister and seven-year-old brother.

"Here it is, Mom, under Mexico."

"Good. What did they change its name to?"

"Belize."

"Right. What other small nation wanted to take over Belize in the 20th century?"

"Guatemala."

"Right again! And is Belize part of the Mexican Alliance now?"

"No, it got to be called a Caribbean country, because they speak English there."

"Your turn, Brendan." Kim gave her youngest child an easier target to locate. "Can you show me the Soviet Union?" The little boy turned the globe so the Eurasian landmass came into view. Kim now asked him to name some of the republics which had broken away from Soviet rule.

With supreme confidence, Brendan said, "Ukulele, Arbeania, Lippuania and Ketchupstan."

Retaining a straight face, Kim corrected him: "That's Ukraine, Armenia, Lithuania and Kazakhstan."

"That's what I said, Mom! And there's the place where you got born, too."

"The place--?? Oh, you mean Georgia! There's more than one Georgia, dear; I was born in the Georgia that's in America. The Georgia on _this_ part of the globe has another name, too: Gruziya." It crossed Kim's mind that geography was not the area in which her youngest would shine if she were showing him off to those researchers. But in spite of his difficulty with nation-names that were essentially meaningless to him, Brendan otherwise did well at spelling. That would be safe to have him demonstrate.

"Why don't they put that name on it, so we don't get mixed up?"

"Because at the time when this globe was made, Americans didn't pay quite as much attention to what people IN a place called that place. Now, we've been talking about changes that happened with countries--"

"Like when _America_ changed," Esperanza interrupted, "and the mirror-men took away the Lieutenant and Quinn!"

"Yes, honey, but remember that we don't talk too much about that."

"Okay, Mom. But the men who made Aunt Lorraine sad are gonna go to the bad place for that."

"They probably will, but it isn't our job to send them there. Now, Brendan, back to you. We were talking about changes that _happen_ to countries. It's a bit of a different thing if we talk about names of countries that we aren't even used to hearing. Do you remember what people IN Japan call their country?"

"The book you got says it's Nippon, but Mister Tomisaburo says Nihon."

"Correct, I've heard it both ways. Now, do you remember what your Papa calls it when you change what you're talking about a little, not a way-big change?"

The boy nodded energetically. "He says we go on a tanshut."

"That's a _tangent,_" Esperanza primly corrected her brother.

Kim ignored the latest interruption. "Brendan, do you remember the time Aunt Lorraine asked you to draw a picture of a horse, and you changed it into drawing a picture of the stable the horse would live in? That was going on a tangent. Or the night your Papa and Henry were keeping watch over the Reinhart farm, and then they had to go help those ladies in the airplane that fell down? That was kind of like a tangent. Or the time I showed you how I baked a pie, and then made it into an arithmetic lesson by cutting the pie and telling you about fractions..."

"Mom, are tanshuts real important?"

"It's not so important for you to remember that _word,_ but I want you to understand the _idea_ of making these little changes in what we talk about or do."

"Are those men from outside going to want to see tangents?" asked Esperanza.

"Well, they will want to see how smart you kids are. And sometimes, those little changes give you a chance to show more of what you know. Like if you spell the word 'subtropical,' and you _also_ explain what it means. If the men come here, I want them to understand that our people here in the Enclave are smarter than the mirror-men say we are."

"We'll show 'em we're not looshes!" declared Brendan. He and his sister both resolved to be exemplary scholars when the strangers visited; but they were not in any agonies from fear of failure. Their parents and Lorraine had succeeded so far in encouraging achievement, while not browbeating the children for their weaknesses.

Last edited:
Veronique and Philippe Rochefort came to Alipang and Kim's house after lunch, so as not to impose on the Havens family in that regard. Philippe and Esperanza, as the two oldest children present yet not at the same grade level, began a game of chess on a folding table out in front of the house--a perfectly respectable thing to be seen doing if the two foreigners should walk up to them. As if to defy stereotyping, Philippe chose to play the white pieces. Indoors, Veronique began taking turns with Brendan at calling out answers as Kim displayed hand-marked subtraction flashcards which Aunt Lorraine had made months ago.

Alipang had worked right through lunchtime; but around one-forty, he finally had a break. Thus it was that he was beginning to walk from the dental trailer to the house...when he and the two chess players all sighted two unfamiliar men, one of them Asian, disembarking from a pedicab in front of the property.

His course to meet the newcomers took him near enough to the folding table that he could say to his daughter and Philippe, "Just be your normal selves." Then he stepped forth two more paces. "Good afternoon, gentlemen, my name is Alipang Dumagat Havens. What can I do for you?"

"You can indulge our curiosity about what you and your wife do for so many others," replied the white man, reaching out to shake the dentist's hand. "I'm Bert Randall, accredited research philologist at the University of Sydney."

"And I'm Yang Sung-Kuo, from Beijing, also in research," said the Chinese man, shaking hands next. When their eyes met, Alipang sensed that the other man's eyes were probing for any possible clue to Alipang's personality. This probing did at least make Yang aware that Alipang's own eyes were taking something in. As soon as the second handshake ended, Yang tapped Mr. Randall's arm for attention, then said to Alipang, "Please don't be alarmed." With this said, the Chinese man slowly drew forth with finger and thumb the pistol whose presence Alipang had divined from the faint bulge of the shoulder holster under Yang's jacket. The Australian followed suit, bringing an identical sidearm into view.

"Please hang on to these during our visit," said Yang, holding out his gun toward Alipang. "I don't know if you've been told, but the Overseers have technology to personalize firearms. These weapons cannot fire at all unless held by my colleague or myself; thus, when they are in your hands, there can be no accidents."

Alipang nodded, mutely accepting Yang's pistol. It had been a long time since he had held any firearm; the touch of this one made him think fleetingly of that Christmas Eve when he had shot a gangster in self-defense with the gangster's own gun. Then Mr. Randall was also handing over his pistol, saying, "The Deputy Commander pressed us to carry them. Obviously unnecessary. We would have left them at Mrs. Lathrop's place, but they make her nervous, poor lady."

"Actually, these weapons _could_ be handy," Alipang told his visitors, "if you meet a wolf or a bobcat on the outskirts at dusk. They seldom come so close, but it isn't unheard of."

Yang's expression grew a bit warmer. "I understand that it was not you Enclave residents who had the idea to bring so many carnivores in here."

"You understand correctly. One of my Amish friends got munched by a grizzly a couple of months ago; he almost made it to Heaven that day. The Amish man, I mean; the grizzly did make it to Heaven, if bears go there. But come on in; we knew that you might be visiting us. You men are interested in homeschooling?"

"As part of a wider picture, yes," replied Bert Randall.

Kim, Brendan and Veronique were startled to see Alipang come in the front door with two semi-automatic pistols thrust through the belt of his trousers; but Kim focussed her attention, and thus also the attention of the children, on polite introductions.

Major Yang didn't take long to notice the flashcards, an old-fashioned invention he could not recall ever seeing in use with Chinese schoolchildren. "Perfectly effective, though, and they need no electricity."

"Which is a good thing," Kim assured him. "Apart from the few homes like ours that have some backup like solar panels, no exile's residence _gets_ any electricity on Saturdays and Sundays."

Yang and Bert exchanged a wordless glance when they heard this. It was something none of the government figures had mentioned to them. And this, in a region which _provided_ a great part of the electrical power for the whole North American continent.

One of the earliest things Bert Randall did was to draw Philippe and Veronique into a conversation in Creole French. He proved to be more proficient in that language than they were. Philippe felt obliged to say, "Papa doesn't require us to be experts in it. We don't even know any other Haitian families anywhere in Wyoming Sector; besides, if we went around speaking to each other in a language so little used, the Overseers might think we were planning something un-mutual."

Veronique, nonetheless, did sing three songs in Creole. (Philippe couldn't join her; his voice was just beginning to change.) Bert remarked on the benefits of songs for vocabulary retention.

Yang asked Esperanza a series of science questions, to which the girl gave informed answers. Bert was invited to test Brendan at spelling, and found that the seven-year-old had mastered words as sophisticated as "vociferous" and "introspective."

The two researchers eventually took a tangent of their own, beginning to ask Alipang and Kim about the experience of home teaching. This discussion extended into Alipang's memories of being taught by his mother; and in this case, he _explicitly_ brought in the fact that he had been adopted because his parents were Christian missionaries. Wilson joined them before this was finished; the youth looked proud of the way his father was fielding all questions, and grabbed his own first opportunity to speak about learning some of his father's dental knowledge. Alipang, in turn, used the opportunity his firstborn had created:

"Gentlemen, one thought I hope you will carry away with you is that it is imperative and logical for us to be provided the means of higher education in the Enclave. The United Nations recognizes education as a human right. For as long as the _Fairness_ Party--" (he scarcely concealed the contempt he felt for the oligarchy which used that hypocritical title) "--judges us to be best suited for this reservation, it is no more than reasonable that we should be able to impart a wide range of productive skills to a new generation."

There was plenty more talk. But what stuck in Yang Sung-Kuo's mind more than anything else in the visit was the action of the host upon saying goodbye, holding out to the visitors the guns he had been keeping for them.

"You have a keen mind, Dr. Havens," Major Yang observed in a courteous tone. "You're offering me the pistol Mr. Randall was originally carrying, and vice-versa. You're wondering whether what I said before meant that _both_ weapons are programmed to work for _either_ of us two. Yes, that is what I meant, either of us can use either sidearm;" and he accepted the one offered to him, not bothering to trade back with Bert.

"Did you ever hear of a singer named Phil Collins?" Alipang asked the Chinese.

"Not that I can recall."

But Bert Randall put in, "I know him. And I can guess the reference, Dr. Havens. In one of his songs there's a line: 'They don't tell me nothing, so I find out all I can.' If I were in your place, I'd find out all I could. So good luck to you, and thanks for the interesting time."

"Maybe we'll meet again," said Alipang.

When the two outsiders were out of Alipang's earshot, walking by choice, Major Yang remarked to Bert in Mandarin, "That dentist has sharp fangs in his mind. I'd like to know the exact formula of the psychotropic drugs dispensed into the air by the Overseers. You and I won't be here long enough to be appreciably affected, but persons who've been here for two years and more--! Well, for Alipang Havens and his family, especially Alipang, to be so alert and mentally active, so clearly free in their will, they must be _very_ strong of spirit, or else the chemicals are worthless."

"That dentist has sharp fangs in his mind. I'd like to know the exact formula of the psychotropic drugs dispensed into the air by the Overseers. You and I won't be here long enough to be appreciably affected, but persons who've been here for two years and more--! Well, for Alipang Havens and his family, especially Alipang, to be so alert and mentally active, so clearly free in their will, they must be _very_ strong of spirit, or else the chemicals are worthless."

I'm wondering that, too.

Chapter 31: Getting In Still Deeper

That night, Bert and the Major had their first taste of pronghorn antelope, essentially the same as venison. A Grange volunteer known to their hostess had brought a parcel of smoked meat to the house while the two men had been out. (The Grange man, a Ute Indian, had kept to himself the reason why he could be so generous with his kill: he had additionally slain a marauding cougar, and he would be eating _that_ animal himself, not expecting anyone else to have the stomach for it.) Accompanying the pronghorn were mashed turnips and steamed asparagus, both grown by Sylvia Lathrop in a fenced garden with a sort of chain-link canopy made for her by Raoul Rochefort. The garden was fenced and roofed not against human thieves, but against raccoons and the like.

After supper, Major Yang went outdoors to phone his wife in Beijing again. Bert washed the dishes for Sylvia, after which he asked her if she felt up to conversation. The old lady smiled mischievously.

"Not only up to it, young man; I was going to double the rent if we _didn't_ have a conversation! One does get tired of a silent house--not that I would prefer to live in one of the communal dormitories they have now in some of the cities outside."

So Bert passed some time telling the white-haired widow about the environmental preservation projects going on in those parts of Australia now under the jurisdiction of the native tribes. "Ever hear of Kakadu National Park?...Well, it's in the Northern Territory, where we have wetlands, you realize not all of Australia is a desert. Kakadu's in Arnhem Land; it used to be divided between the government and the natives, but once the tribes gave recognition to the Pacific Federation, the whole park was placed under their authority, on the stipulation that they wouldn't cut off all tourism. One advantage of the arrangement was that it meant _less_ interference by the United Nations. Last time I was in Kakadu, some Yolnu tribesmen took me boating, showed me the safe lanes, that means routes on the water where they have solar-powered infrasonic emitters which repel the crocs...."

When Major Yang came inside, he didn't linger to join the conversation, but excused himself and went to bed, explaining that he wanted to get up extra early in the morning and do some Tai Chi sets outside. Since Sylvia was not tired yet, Bert soon brought up what he especially wanted to hear _from_ his hostess:

"In Australia--in fact, everyplace else in the world that _isn't_ under Sharia law and isn't in Aztlan or the Venezuelan Alliance--anyone can practice the Christian faith openly, or at least fairly openly. I confess to being a sitter on the fence myself. But here in what used to be the U.S.A., standing for Jesus gets you--in here. So you have to have more than a casual taste for certain songs, to let yourself be confined on a reservation with armed watchers for the sake of your faith. There have to be things which add up for you, which are convincing for you. With my solemn promise that I'll testify that you only spoke because I asked you to...what would you say to a skeptic who asked you _what_ convinces you it's true? Your gospel, I mean."

Something in Sylvia visibly aroused itself, came online as it were. "That's a question deserving of a forthright answer. So without fiddling around, I'll start right out with the subject of death.

"It's a standard line of the Campaign Against Hate that we Christians are enslaved by illogical, emotional wishful thinking, because we believe in a personal, individual existence after death. But look at what most of _them_ say about the departed."

Bert had visited America during the last year _before_ the change to the Diversity States had been mandated. The Campaign Against Hate had already been in existence, though the new regime would make it more powerful. Bert had in fact had occasion to hear some front woman for the Campaign talking about deceased persons in some context or other. So: "I think I know what you mean, ma'am. 'Those who have gone before live on in our memories, and in their works, and in the spirit of the collective.' "

"That's it, all right. Now _examine_ the reasoning. To them, the human being is only a sack of watered-down chemicals; once the sack is emptied out, _nothing_ remains. On their view, nothing remains of my husband but the chromosomes he left in our children--and HIS OWN personal awareness is not in those molecules. Our memories of people we lost might as well be memories of made-up characters in a movie, because the dead aren't _there_ anymore. The works could just as well have been done by others. Living on? Living on how? I promise you, not one Overseer who ever put on the mirrored uniform can tell you the names of all of his great-great-grandparents; what 'lives on' of those departed souls?

"If they're going to say there's no immortal spirit, they should be consistent, and say flat-out to the bereaved, 'Too bad, suckers, there _isn't_ anything living on! The lights went out on your loved ones, and that's all, period! Memories don't count, nothing counts. Accept it--you're only maggot food that the maggots haven't eaten yet.' But they don't say that, or mostly they don't. They contradict themselves, because in one breath they say only the material exists, but in the next breath they announce a kinda-sorta-something-like afterlife built entirely out of sentimentality. And they accuse US of operating on irrational emotion!

"We Christians, at least, are not contradicting ourselves. We believe that the spiritual plane _does_ exist, and the belief in Heaven flows _from_ that premise. At the Last Supper, as soon as He had made a remark about Heaven, Jesus assured His disciples,
'If it were not so, I would have told you.' He made a point of it, that He _wasn't_ offering sentiments with no substance."

Sylvia continued in this manner for more than half an hour. She made use of memorized Bible passages, but the most cynical God-mocker would not have been able to say that she was "only parrotting what she was taught." This elderly lady clearly had thought things through for herself.

And she seemed merely typical of the exiles in the Enclave.

Bert went to bed that night not _quite_ converted yet...but confirmed in a feeling he had already had for years: that exactly the wrong people were running things in America, and exactly the wrong people were locked up like lunatics.

Last edited:
Back