CoN D&D PRG Rules and Races.

GrayCloak

These are the rules for the CoN RPG - question are encouraged, and don't be scared by the length of this post - I'll explain anything that you don't understand.

Gaming and Role Play for Beginners:

Common Courtesy Rules:

1.All out-of-character talking should take place OUTSIDE of the RPG. PMing is preferred.

2.You cannot post twice in succession – make sure to allow your fellow RPGers time to partake in conversations.

3.Keep your backstory and character origins to a minimum – It’s all right to have backstory and to be able to work it into the RPG, but please be conscious that there are other people playing the game, and lengthy posts can hinder the gameplay.

How to Start: To become a part of the game, all you have to do is write a post on the RPG game thread detailing your chosen race/class, and what weapon you wish to use. (Upon reading your post the DM will roll up stats for your character and add them to the game) You should also include the name of your character, and a physical description if desired. Your first post should look something like this:

A woman with dark hair and pale skin came forwards. She carried a simple longbow strung across her back.

“I am Gray, an Archenland Ranger from the wilds beyond Narnia. I come to join the adventure.”

After the game has been going on for a while, should any new people wish to join the RPG a personal message to the DM would be in common courtesy. This will make is easier for me to keep track of the number of player and see if a second RPG is required.

Basics on Play: Each person will have the freedom to write dialogue, reactions, and actions for their own character, however, the DM will be the only person allowed to apply narrative to the story. You cannot speak for other characters or people, and players are not allowed to mess with the story. The DM has predetermined the plot, and the players may not change or mess around with it. (Think of it as being a character in a novel, and the DM is the author) The correct way to post should look like this (the below posts, of course, are grossly oversimplified):

DM: The Company came to a fork in the road and wondered which path to take:

Player 1: “I say we take the left road,’

Player 2: ‘That sounds good to me, left it is!’

DM: The Company finally decided upon the left course and took it.

The DM: The DM (Dungeon Master) is the ruler of the world being played in. The DM is the only person allowed to write the narrative of the story as well as the reaction to all non-playable creatures and characters in the world. The DM also writes the effects of attacks in battle and determines when damage and wounds are inflicted upon party members. Though the player are free to ‘do as they please’ in the world provided by the DM, the DM reserves the right of ultimate control over her world. A person can say ‘I’m going to walk into that cave,’ but whether they find a golden ring or an angry bear in that cave is up to the DM.

The DM is also able to give certain people ‘revelation’ which means that they will be informed about something ahead of time or given a clue on a problem the company is facing.

Taking Turns: The CoN D&D RPG is a turn-based game; simply put, it means that you take turns posting with your fellow RPG-ers and the DM. You cannot post twice in succession. (i.e. I make the first post; Dead Rain makes the second – Dead Rain CANNOT post again until someone else does)

This is essential in combat, as you will need to read the effects of your attacks against the enemy. It’s common courtesy to wait for at least half the members of the party to post again before you do; however, some people are bound to be more diligent in posting than others, so at the end of the DM’s post it will tell you when you can post again. i.e. the DM’s post may read something like ‘attacks are free to everyone in the company’ to indicate that anyone can post an attack.

When in Battle: Battle is simple. Should the company choose to attack an enemy then each player will post with a statement such as ‘I hacked at the Calormen’s leg’. However, the players cannot write the effect of their own attack; that is a right reserved for the DM. When sufficient members have attacked an enemy, the DM will write the attacks of the enemies, as well as results of previous attacks. i.e. ‘the Calormen has taken 21/42 damage, he is moderately wounded’

Spells: Spells work the same way as melee or ranged attacks. A player who wishes to use a spell must state “I used [name of spell]” and the DM will write the effects of the spell on an enemy. A list of spells useable for the magic classes is found below their class/race.

Dice Rolls, and all that scary stuff: No one needs to know about dice rolls and statistics besides the DM. (Statistics are, however, available upon request by PM) Upon the start of a battle the DM will post (based on the statistics of the team) the probability of a successful attack against an enemy. i.e. the company encounters a Minotaur whose base class is a ‘large’ the post about the enemy would contain a statement to the extent of ‘the company would have a hard time defeating such a foe’ to indicate that it will be a hard battle and could eventually lead to death. The company will then have the option to either continue with the attack, or flee.

Death; Yes, it can happen to you!: Death is indeed a possibility in this RPG. Death will occur when 1) you are engaged in battle with a particularly difficult enemy and lose, or 2) if a player continues to flout the rules, and hinders the game for other players. In the latter, the DM reserves the right to kill such people. (So play nice!;) )

Resurrection; You’re ALIVE!: There are several ways to come back from the dead – but all are limited so should never be abused.

Coming back by a Teammate: Certain creatures, such as Centaurs, have the ability to heal – if a Centaur survives long enough in the game he will eventually gain the ability to resurrect ONE teammate ONCE. (The DM will notify him when the power is available) This means that he will have to weigh carefully when he uses this power, as it will not be given back during the rest of the game. So pick the resurrected character carefully.

Aslan’s Grace: There may be times when death wasn’t really warranted. (As in a bad luck of dice roll, or a person sacrificing himself for the sake of a teammate). In which case the DM will have the ability to raise a fallen character. If such a case should occur then the DM shall announce to the party that Aslan has sent back their friend; the company may or may not have to journey a ways before meeting back up with their teammate.

All death is advised against, however, as when you resurrect you will loose some of your more powerful weapons, armor etc. Let’s all try and stay alive…

Looting and Treasure; the Adventurer’s Reward: So why fight in battles when it’s possible to die, you may ask? Simple. The loot! Every time that a battle is won the company will be rewarded with something – new armor, new weapons, gold etc. These will all be added to the players’ statistics giving them a better attack and defense. If enough gold is acquired (The DM will keep track of the gold…don’t worry) the DM will permit certain transaction to occur. Namely, the buying and selling of goods.

They Grow-up so Fast: As the game progresses, your character will get stronger, and more able to fight tougher enemies. The DM will keep track of numbers of enemies killed by each person, and award bonuses in statistics accordingly. At certain turning points in the game magic users will be awarded new, more powerful spells, and non-magic users will gain even better attacking and defending statistics. When the game ends the DM will post the finishing statistics for every player; including number of enemies killed, amount of loot acquired, times you died…etc.

Ending Comments: These are the basics of the rules; questions and comments are encouraged, and I hope people PM me with suggestions on how to make the game better. Make sure to tell me what you think of the game-play and how you think it could be improved. I hope no one is discouraged by the length of these rules – the only way to learn how to play is by diving in headfirst and I hope to see people doing so. And I’ll be happy to help out anyone who doesn’t think they have a good handle on anything in this thread.

Have Fun.

The Class Sheet

Pick a class/race from the list below to play in the CoN D&D RPG.

Note: All classes fall under the categories of ‘small’ ‘medium’ or ‘large’. Each will have an advantage over one of the other two. i.e. ‘large’ is good against ‘medium’, ‘medium is good against ‘small’ and ‘small is good against ‘large’. Think of it as a big game of ‘rock, paper scissors.’

Humans:

1)Narnian/Telmarine Champion (Medium)= Narnian Champions are the second toughest fighting class; they prefer long, straight weapons such as hand-and-a-half swords and longbows to smaller blades. They are more apt at fighting quick, agile enemies than the heavily armored Calormens. A good Narnian also has the ability to call upon Aslan to heal himself or a companion of minor wounds. (Unlimited)

2)Archenland Ranger (Small)= Archenland Rangers are masters of quick combat, and use bows, varying swords and knives. Though physically ‘weaker’ than the Champion or the Tarkan, an Archenlander’s ability to fight fast makes him ideal for combat against slower, heavier combatants. An Archenlander can attack twice as fast as any other class and gets an extra attack against enemies.

3)Calormen Tarkan (Large)= Tarkan’s are the warriors of the Tisroc, and trained in the most deadly arts of war. They are the toughest of all the fighting classes, and use scimitars and lances to deal out painful amounts of damage. Though their heavy armor makes them ideal for fighting Narnians, they are too slow to be very effective against an agile opponent. A sturdy Tarkan can place himself in-between a companion and an enemy and soak the damage intended for a teammate.

Animals:

Note: All animals able animals have the ability to use simple weapons such as swords, knives and clubs. These weapons will add an attack and defense to their statistics. Animals’ natural defenses and agility is more than that of any other race.

1)Small Animals = Small animals are the most agile of the three; their size ranges from a mouse to a badger, and their quick attacks and fast feet make them ideal for using small swords and daggers. Due to their diminutive statue smaller animals are most likely to find hidden treasure. (Through revelation by the DM)

2)Medium Animals = Medium animals are the second toughest of the beasts. Their size ranges from a badger to a bear, and are best used when fighting smaller creatures, or humans. The keen senses of medium animals can often direct their companions on the right path to take when in the wilds. (Mediums animals will be given special revelation by the DM at cross-roads)

3)Big Animals = Big animals are the strongest of the three, and make a formidable opponent. Their size ranges from a bear and above, and are able to make short work of lesser beasts and foes alike. However they are less agile than smaller creatures. Big animals have the ability to hunt food for the party.

4)Birds = A bird must be sorted into one of the three above categories – their greatest advantage is being able to flee an attack without sustaining any injuries.

Mythical Beast:

Note: All mythical beasts have a lower defense than their human and animal counterparts. They rely heavily upon magic and cunning, and are recommended to be played alongside at least one fighting class.

1)Dryads, Nymphs/Hamma Dyads = The wood folk are slight, flighty and slim. They do not make good fighters, but make up for their lack of strength with powerful magical abilities. They are able to call upon lesser elements of nature to aid them, and when all else fails, can retreat into their tree form to hide.

a)Sun attack (hits enemies with a ball of fire, damage determined in battle)
b)Sleep (puts 1 foe to sleep 1-6 chance of hitting)
c)Hiding (the Fay retreats to its tree form and gains defense, though looses the ability to fight)

2)Centaurs = Centaurs call themselves prophets and stargazer, but above all else they are noble servants of the Great Lion, Aslan. They are tough enough to withstand enemy blows, and can fight if need be, but what makes them such a coveted companion is their ability to heal teammates. A good Centaur can save his friends from the brink of death.

a)Heal minor wounds (3x per battle)
b)Heal moderate wounds (2x per battle)
c)Heal critical wounds (1x per battle)

3)Fauns = Fauns are usually more gentle creatures that prefer dancing and songs to battle and blood. When a faun is in the company he has the ability to give both attack and defensive advantages to his companions, as well as immobilizing an enemy by non-violent means. If all else fails, fauns can use daggers and knives for close up combat, however, this should only be used as a last resort, as fauns, unaided, cannot hope to survive long in battle.

a)Heartening song (Attack or defense of all companions goes up)
b)Deafening song (Attack or defense of all enemies goes down)
c)Sand-throw (The faun throws sand into an enemy’s eyes, blinding him. 1 in 6 chance of hitting him)

Animals:

Note: All animals able animals have the ability to use simple weapons such as swords, knives and clubs. These weapons will add an attack and defense to their statistics. Animals’ natural defenses and agility is more than that of any other race.

1)Small Animals = Small animals are the most agile of the three; their size ranges from a mouse to a badger, and their quick attacks and fast feet make them ideal for using small swords and daggers. Due to their diminutive statue smaller animals are most likely to find hidden treasure. (Through revelation by the DM)

2)Medium Animals = Medium animals are the second toughest of the beasts. Their size ranges from a badger to a bear, and are best used when fighting smaller creatures, or humans. The keen senses of medium animals can often direct their companions on the right path to take when in the wilds. (Mediums animals will be given special revelation by the DM at cross-roads)

3)Big Animals = Big animals are the strongest of the three, and make a formidable opponent. Their size ranges from a bear and above, and are able to make short work of lesser beasts and foes alike. However they are less agile than smaller creatures. Big animals have the ability to hunt food for the party.

4)Birds = A bird must be sorted into one of the three above categories – their greatest advantage is being able to flee an attack without sustaining any injuries.

so...what would a leopard or some other big cat(cheater,panther ect) be ranked as ?would they be able to use a weopen for instance a bow or sword?
thanks

Hmmmmm

Okay so let me get this strait. I can be a character that I make up as long as it is within the lists that I just read.
EX. say i wanted to be a centaur. Could I be one that is like a ranger?

Back