The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Professor's Writing Club

Notices

The Professor's Writing Club Poetry, Fan Fiction, etc

Old 05-06-2017, 02:37 AM

TheGardener is on a distinguished road
Default Underland of Narnia

Partly because TSC is probably my favourite of the Narnia books (and I hope they don't ruin ths movie of it) and partly because I love the idea behind the world of Fallen London (although not every part of the world design), which in turn was probably inspired by TSC, I wrote a little fanfic extra epilogue to TSC.

Sailing in the Cavernsea soon became popular in northern Narnia. Soon enough (around the middle of the reign of King Rilian) a little town, or rather a pair of little towns were formed in that area. The twin towns of Cavernmouth and Cavernport, Cavernmouth above ground, around the cavern entrance in northern Narnia and Cavernport underground on the nearest shore of the Cavernsea. Being underground, Cavernport was founded and primarily populated by Dwarfs, Moles and Half-Dwarfs, while Cavernmouth had a wide variety of inhabitants.
By late in the reign of King Rilian however, Cavernport was also home to a number of badgers, mice and fawns and even some dryads. It was afterall a freshwater sea, for the most part however, dryads prefered flowing water and daylight.
Owls came visiting frequently, but very few lived there. They were comfortable in the dark, but liked to have an open sky and the nightbreezes of the overland to fly and hunt in, they said.
Suprisingly, it wasn’t until the beginning of the reign of King Edmund II (whom Rilian named after King Edmund I of the Golden Age, who had sailed with his father Caspian the Seafarer to the world’s end) that any talking bats settled in Cavernport. So it wasn’t until around the middle of the reign of Edmund II, that any bats joined the sailors. And it was only the bat’s sonar that was able to find the islands that previous sailors, Narnians and Underlanders before them, must have sailed past many times before and missed in the dark.

"Freedom without limits is just a word." - Constable Dorfl, Feet of clay

"May it please your High Majesty, we are all waiting to cut off our own tails if our Chief must go without his."

I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

... so to summarise, God is Awesome
Old 05-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Friend of Narnia

CORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura about

I like this, it's very interesting. Is there going to be more?
Old 05-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Come on, get back here and write more of this!
Old 05-30-2017, 02:35 AM

I only intended it as a one off. I may write a little bit more but probably not a lot.

"May it please your High Majesty, we are all waiting to cut off our own tails if our Chief must go without his."

Old 06-17-2017, 04:36 AM

Default The Cone

A Narnian ship was sailing in the Cavernsea, much further west than most voyages went, but not much further north than Cavernport. Three bats were with them, although they hadn't echoed any islands recently.
Suddenly Wingsong Echo echoed something conical in the distance ahead of her. She signalled her brother Flutternote Echo and he flew over to check before they flew back to report.
“Something conical? Like a stalagmite?”
Asked the mate.
“But you don't get stalagmites in the middle of the sea…”
They turned to the direction that Wingsong and Flutternote gave them.
On the next shift, the third bat, who was called Richard Ping (a strange name for a bat, but apparently he was named after 'Uncle Richard’, a human who had been a close friend of the Ping family), flew with them to get another echo of the cone. But they still got some strange blurring in their echoes. The flight back to the ship seemed to take slightly longer than they felt it should.
After they had spent some hours discussing what the cone could be, the captain got up, stood still for a moment, and then climbed up to the forecastle and a moment later called out.
“Do you feel that? Because that's something I've never felt on the Cavernsea before. That feels like a breeze.”

Old 06-23-2017, 10:23 PM

The breeze explained why the return flight had taken the bats longer than usual. However it wasn't much use to the ship, which was built for rowing rather than sailing, as breezes were very rare on the Cavernsea.
As the ship gradually pulled closer the bats started to make a bit more sense of what they were echoing. The blurring in their echoes seemed to be mostly at the to of the cone and the mild blurring lower down could perhaps be explained by the air currents, which seemed to be getting stronger as they got closer to the cone.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

Hmm. Interesting to think of a Talking Beast using sonar.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Decades ago, a not-quite-fantasy novel came out titled something like Whalesong, about the lives of sperm whales as a community. The author described whale characters having conversations of a sort, all based on how THEY PERCEIVED objects and events around them ALL IN TERMS OF how their sonar "felt" things.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:55 PM

Well before the ship got too close to the cone, the bats found that it had beaches to land at. As they got even closer, they echoed a scattering of some mushroom tree things and even what seemed to be one or two huts.
Once the ship was close enough to see the shore of the cone island, they saw a few lights on the beach, then they noticed what looked like figures.
The figures soon seemed to notice the ship and started waving at it. When the ship got close enough, the figures helped them land, and then introduced themselves as Grog, Blog, Golg and Brundergrum, who it turned out was the daughter of Mullugutherum.
They had found, with help from the salamanders, a vent from Bism, all the way to Cavernsea or “the shallow lands” as they called it.

Last edited by TheGardener; 07-03-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Friend of Narnia

Looks like new-plot-developments time.