If I Were a Mod (The Power of Blue)

You misunderstood what WS was saying. If he wanted Humph to take that, he would have written "Humph, take That" rather than "Humph. Take That." Commas are extremely important.

An example:

Attachments

• letseatgrandma copy.jpg
    letseatgrandma copy.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 15
Then I would like an interpretation of the sentence "Humph." Because as far as I know, the only permissible one-word-sentence in English would be an imperative, and that would have to be followed by an exclamation point. But it isn't here.

Or maybe as an answer to a question, like, "Who has been eating off my plate?" But no such question was asked.

So what's Humph?

Humph is an interjection (although he could be an imperative if "humph" was a verb). In other words, Humph interrupts. He was interrupting WS.

Humph is not a word. Humph is a transliteration of a noise I make when I'm ridiculously proud of myself.

Also, I hate Marvel Comics right now, and I want to talk to Copperfox about it.

What's this about--Captain America turning out to be Hydra?

Humph is still an interjection, even if it isn't in the dictionary. Things do not have to be words to be classified by the Grammar Police.

NO! No misusing the "i before e except after c and when sounding like a" rule! I forbid it. *smashes Freckles with a fire hydrant*

That's an ad hominem argument.

For the record, I'm high on introversion and somewhere in the middle on agreeableness. But I don't get annoyed by incorrect grammar because of social convention. I get annoyed because people have forgotten years of English drills from grade school. The difference between its and it's is not rocket science. And yes, sometimes I make typos. Accidents are one thing. Having forgotten everything from grade school is another. /end rant

Also, English is weird. But French is weirder.

I didn't even read the whole article, I just remembered seeing it and posted it without thinking, I'm sorry. I'll change it.

I think I've forgotten lots of things from grade school. I couldn't even apply the rule of three anymore...

Exactly.

Let's just say that it was a lot easier for my voice teacher to teach me Italian and German pronunciations, because French...well, seeing a letter in a word doesn't necessarily mean anything....

In English, seeing letters in words means that you either pronounce them, or that they are some sort of vestigial form that we can blame on the Normans. I.e. the French.

Not always. I think a good number of words ending in a silent -e aren't of French origin, like love, give, spoke, etc. And the vowel shift takes half the blame for the horror that is English pronunciation. I wonder if you had any spelling reforms in the last 100 years. Did you?

The closest thing to a spelling reform we've had is txt lnguag. Bt tht is nt mch of a rfrm.

Melvil Dewey apparently wanted to reform English spelling, to the point that he simplified the spelling of his first name to take an unnecessary l and e out. But nobody paid much attention to his spelling ideas. The only thing they liked was his system for classifying books by number.

Exactly.

Let's just say that it was a lot easier for my voice teacher to teach me Italian and German pronunciations, because French...well, seeing a letter in a word doesn't necessarily mean anything....

In English, seeing letters in words means that you either pronounce them, or that they are some sort of vestigial form that we can blame on the Normans. I.e. the French.

I took French and I still found German pronunciations easier. However, I am incapable of rolling my R's, so Italian was basically impossible.

Back