SOUTHWARD THE TIGERS: a Tale in the Days of King Frank

My thanks to Prince for providing one more chance for people to see my Narnian novel..... written, wow, almost _nine_ years ago. Most of the too-few members currently active on T.D.L. have never looked at it.

I want the restoration to be as complete as possible, which means unearthing _another_ author's related work. When I was writing "Southward," I caught the attention of a gentleman then active on this forum, calling himself Timbalionguy. His real name is Tim Stoffel, and he is a real-life expert on the big cats. He approved so well of my depiction of tiger behavior that he began thinking of writing his own novel that would be "in the same universe" as mine.

"Southward the Tigers" begins less than twenty years after the creation of the Narnian world, but Tim decided to go farther back. Using many of my own characters from "Southward" with my consent, he picked up _immediately_ after the completion of Digory and Polly's mission in "The Magician's Nephew." Tim's novel, sadly, was never completed; but _enough_ of it was written that, if you read his work first and _then_ read mine, they will make one coherent story together.

I hope somebody will do just that. As I have a character say in the second Alipang Havens novel, a writer often feels as if he is shining a flashlight into the night sky.

Here is where you can read "Lion's Share" in the Archives:

http://www.narniafans.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-17980.html

Last edited:
Mister Lewis WAS a bit lazy about world-building. One subject he scarcely addressed was this: if people and carnivorous beasts of Narnia ate meat, and if there were talking beasts of herbivorous types, how DID Narnians make sure that they DIDN'T ever kill and eat an INTELLIGENT deer or pig or sheep or cow or goose?

I in my story, and Timbalionguy following suit, examined the ways that the talking versions of predatory animals would have guarded against being guilty of killing intelligent game animals.

In connection with the previous post, here is a portion of what Tim himself wrote about the new talking beasts being instructed by their Creator:

The herbivores were told that they needed to be wary. “You will have a three-day reprieve from being hunted by wild carnivores,” explained Aslan, “I will feed them through My own providence. But after those three days, you will be just as fair game to them as are the dumb herbivores. The talking carnivores will not hunt you, and indeed may actually protect you. But, always be on guard. Your superior intelligence and your ability to learn will help protect you, but it is by no means an absolute safeguard. Now, I will dismiss you to go find homes for yourselves in My fair land of Narnia”.

Aslan then sent the herbivores away in groups. These groups were made up of similar species, or else species that shared a similar type of foraging ground.

The last remaining group of animals was the carnivores, scavengers and aggressive omnivores of various sorts-- dogs, wolves, cats big and little, bears, hyenas, eagles, apes, etc. As Aslan would talk to each group by species or genus, they would happily run off into a nearby woods, not to be seen again for the rest of that day.

Aslan was addressing each group with words to this effect (In this instance, He was addressing the bears): “Now listen, talking bears. Although you can eat just about any food I have provided in this world, I have given you a craving for meat. It is not yet time for you to be hunters, but it is time for you to eat meat. Go yonder into that thicket to My left, and in there you will find meat especially for you. You will eat of this meat (for I will provide as much of it as you care for) until My new King and Queen have laid down the rules for hunting in this world. Heed what they will have to say as they are here for your good and prosperity.” Aslan went on to give them a special blessing, and then He sent them on their way.

At last, Aslan had sent away all of the carnivores, scavengers and omnivores to their special feast, except for the great cats-- the animals the most like Himself. He then addressed them as a group, using words similar to what He had told the others. But He added, “For you, the greatest predators in My land of Narnia, there is a special responsibility. By your hunting skill, your great adaptability, and your big appetites, you more than anyone else among the animals of Narnia will work to keep the dumb animals in proper balance so they will not overrun the land. You will also help keep My talking animals in balance in a much different way, one that will become apparent with time.

"This is both a great burden and a great blessing. Additionally, each of you has a special place and mission in my world, which will be revealed to you in due time. Bear it well, O great cats of Narnia!” With this, Aslan began to send away the cats by pairs into the thicket. As each pair went, out, Aslan gave them special instructions.

My late father, Richard Burton Ravitts, was an Air Force veteran. The character Fear-No-Blast, the talking gander, was partly inspired by his life.

There's also a female talking animal named Tinkswid, based in some degree on my mother, who was a tour guide at an Illinois history museum called Tinker Swiss Cottage.

I'm bumping this thread because I want to read it at last now that things are less busy for a while (both my kids graduated this spring and it's rather relaxed and quiet on the home front).

The link on the space where Copperfox's signature graphic used to be still works also still connects to his Southward the Tigers thread, but I also want it to show up in the Professor's Writing Club forum.

If Antonio Banderas were (1) younger, and (2) a Christian, I would imagine him playing the character of Kuzdikal the Aslan-serving Djinn.

Does anyone remember my story "Emmett and Queenie at Narnia's End"? It featured a pair of Talking Tigers who were descended from the ones in "Southward."

Still keeping the plates spinning on top of the sticks. Maybe my performance at "When Worlds Collide" in Fort Collins will result in being able to get a few new people interested in Dancing Lawn. There still is _somebody_ left who can facilitate new members joining, isn't there?

Repeat question about new-member intake.

Still keeping the plates spinning on top of the sticks. Maybe my performance at "When Worlds Collide" in Fort Collins will result in being able to get a few new people interested in Dancing Lawn. There still is _somebody_ left who can facilitate new members joining, isn't there?

For me, one of the few _unhappy_ things about being a T.D.L. member has been seeing that EveningStar _didn't_ get as much attention as he deserved for _his_ Narnia-pastiche fiction: a series of stories depicting a no-humans town called Byron-On-Wells. (He explained that _before_ "Byron" was a famous British poet's name, it was a _word_ meaning something like a boat pier on a river.)

I've finally started reading "The Lion's Share," Timbalionguy's prequel to "Southward the Tigers". It is a real treat to read a story about big cats and carnivores by someone who really understands them.

Thanks to all (e.g., Timba, Evening Star, Copperfox and others) who have thoughtfully applied their imagination so respectfully to the worlds Lewis created...

Back