The Lord of the Rings- J.R.R. Tolkien

My point was that perhaps when he was expelled, he was weakened again, so he could not take physical form again, until TTT.

That is definitely a possibility. I suppose PJ will attempt explain The Necromancer in The Desolation of Smaug. I shall watch with great interest.

I don't know if this is on topic but I want to get a tattoo in elvish. Something that will go around my arm. Some people have like, barbed wire or something similar tattooed on their arms but I want elvish runes. I also need a good saying, preferably from the bible or a quote from the books. If a quote from the books, it will have to be "not all those who wander are lost" unless of course, someone has some other good saying. I would also need a good translator. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I don't know if this is on topic but I want to get a tattoo in elvish. Something that will go around my arm. Some people have like, barbed wire or something similar tattooed on their arms but I want elvish runes. I also need a good saying, preferably from the bible or a quote from the books. If a quote from the books, it will have to be "not all those who wander are lost" unless of course, someone has some other good saying. I would also need a good translator. Any ideas?

I would recommend not getting a tattoo. Instead opt for a elven ring or necklace that can be taken off whenever you want. My brother has many tattoos, but I frankly subscribe to the Bible on that you shouldn't get a tattoo because it was pagan. Granted many Christians get tattoos, but I think if God had intended for us to mark our bodies he would have stamped us with different symbols.

To be clear I am not calling you or my brother pagan, but I in my convictions am against tattoos.

I would recommend not getting a tattoo. Instead opt for a elven ring or necklace that can be taken off whenever you want. My brother has many tattoos, but I frankly subscribe to the Bible on that you shouldn't get a tattoo because it was pagan. Granted many Christians get tattoos, but I think if God had intended for us to mark our bodies he would have stamped us with different symbols.

To be clear I am not calling you or my brother pagan, but I in my convictions am against tattoos.

Good thing you answered this because those have been my exact thoughts for the longest time. I don't know why all of a sudden I wanted to get a tattoo. I know I'm going through some emotional stuff right now so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think I'll probably go for a necklace. What do you recommend?

Get something you won't regret buying later. Or, if you do regret it, you can always get rid of it. A tattoo is practically forever. ;)

ON another note, I have a question. I was watching the "Everything Wrong with The Hobbit" video on YouTube (those videos are actually pretty funny, if you excuse the language), and something occurred to me. Why in the world does Sting glow blue because "it's of Elvish make" (as Gandalf says), but none of the other Elven-made swords in the films glow? Aragorn's sword Narsil in RotK is Elven made (I guess?), as is Gandalf's. Why don't they glow? What did Peter Jackson leave out to make that make more sense? I mean, if Sting glows blue and it's because it's Elven-made, then all the Elven swords should glow blue. Help me out here!

Sting is a designer Elven-sword. Aragorn and Gandalf got those generic things they sell at Elf-mart, which is why Aragorn's broke so badly and had to be reforged.

:D

Actually, both Glamdring and Orcrist would glow at the presence of Orcs, but I think that's only mentioned in The Hobbit. And I've no idea whether they preserved that in the movies.

Aragorn's sword wasn't elf-made, but dwarf-forged by Telchar. That's why it didn't glow.

Sting is a designer Elven-sword. Aragorn and Gandalf got those generic things they sell at Elf-mart, which is why Aragorn's broke so badly and had to be reforged.

I really wish I could give this a thumbs-up. :D

:D

Actually, both Glamdring and Orcrist would glow at the presence of Orcs, but I think that's only mentioned in The Hobbit. And I've no idea whether they preserved that in the movies.

Aragorn's sword wasn't elf-made, but dwarf-forged by Telchar. That's why it didn't glow.

Thanks for clearing that up. No, Glamdring and Orcrist didn't glow in the movie, which is why I was confused. I don't know why it didn't either; maybe because [partially] they were preserving continuity from the trilogy. Glamdring didn't glow in any film in the trilogy as far as I know, and it didn't in Hobbit. Neither did Orcrist; I guess they were trying to make out that Sting was the only truly special sword in the story.

I'm still thinking about a tattoo, though....

Anyway, to stay on track, it was my understanding that Sting was not the only sword that glowed, I just never bothered to figure out what other swords were there.

Ha, I'm reading LotR to my younger brother right now, and we've been in FotR for a couple months. My mom looks skeptically at the books and tells me she doesn't know if we'll ever be done.

Ha, I'm reading LotR to my younger brother right now, and we've been in FotR for a couple months. My mom looks skeptically at the books and tells me she doesn't know if we'll ever be done.
LOL! I admire your initiative anyway. :)

When I was in 6th grade our English teacher read "The Hobbit" to us. It seemed to fly by. But of course it is tiny compared to LOTR.

According to that other news site, theonering.net, WB and Amazon are currently in talks with Middle Earth Enterprises to make a TV series based on The Lord of the Rings.

Back