Whats your fave between lotr and CON?

I would have to say LotR. I love CoN too, but LotR is...I don't know, my favorite of the two. I've delved into it so deeply that it's hard to replace!

When it comes down to it, although I was introduced to Mr. Tolkien far earlier in life than to Mr. Lewis, I must vote for Narnia. "Lord of the Rings" did provide role models of heroism; but signs of Mr. Tolkien's Christian faith were buried so deep down that they might as well not have been there at all, for all the good they did me at first. (Note that I knew nothing back then about the Silmarillion with its revelations about God as Eru Iluvatar.) In fact, some aspects of the story were positive hindrances to my spiritual enlightenment as a teenager--for they led me to conceive the half-articulated question, "What kind of God would create a world and let Sauron do whatever he liked in it, without doing _anything_ to stop him, and then let the very salvation of that world depend, NOT on God Himself bearing the burden, but on the roll of the dice that a hobbit who was _not_ God incarnate _might_ make it to Mount Doom and throw the Ring into it?"

The Chronicles, on the other hand, put evil in its proper place vis-a-vis good, i.e. there IS a force of good clearly mightier than the White Witch or the Calormene empire.

Last edited:
The choncles of narnia

the chroncles of narnia, i like all 7 of them, wonderworks versions and the new version, i have rented the animated versions of the hobbit, the lord of the rings, the return of the king

It is tough to compare those two. You have to get into the world of LOTR although it is much harder and tougher to read than CoN. CoN is more written for children and much more to understand. LOTR is such a whole world itself. I am addicted to this world. When I read the books, I was lost forever in the world of hobbits, elves and dwarves etc. And when I saw the movies, (I don't always agree with some changes PJ made, but I do love the movies anyway) I was lost forever in this world.
HP is also very cool and CoN is of course very great as well. With Aslan as the person who makes you feel so comfortable and happy. but I do choose LOTR over CoN. I guess whatever poll will be made, LOTR will always be my number one. But of course it is great to read other books as well. I enjoyed CoN and I am proud to have those books also in my collection.

Aravis of Archenland said:
Narnia is so much easier to read and understand. though I suppose LOTR would be considered more of a literary classic.

Agree......I finished Narnia (translate edition) just a month but since last January until this time, I've finished not a single of any LOTR novels :rolleyes: sooooo lameeeeee :D

Back