Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Janeway, Voyager

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Archer, Enterprise

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Other - state who in your post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
While I was at a sleepover, my parents saw it. They said it was by far the best Star Trek movie yet. I'll have to see it next weekend.

While I was at a sleepover, my parents saw it. They said it was by far the best Star Trek movie yet. I'll have to see it next weekend.

Considering that this is a more modern era, the film had little language. I was honestly shocked; I was really afraid there'd be an f-word thrown in there, but Abrams kept it clean.

Also, Kirk and Uhura; they didn't sleep together. All this fuss about their relationship (again, going back to my original point of people griping before they see it) was not needed. Yes, Kirk hit on Uhura, but that was it. What we perceived as Uhura getting ready to get in bed with Kirk, was something else entirely; Kirk was watching Uhura getting undressed in her quarters, which she shared with the girl Kirk was on top of in the trailer. The green girl(presumably an Orion) had promised Uhura that she wouldn't bring any more guys into their room, so she made Kirk hide under the bed. Hence, there was no physical relationship between Kirk and Uhura, but there WERE several kisses shared between Spock and Uhura. I'm not entirely sure where that whole romance thing came from, but I think it added another dimension to Spock's character, because the Spock inthis movie is still struggling with his human side.

And yes, this is by far the best Trek movie. Many critics are saying as such; in fact they gave it a B+ on Yahoo, while fans\users gave it an A. I give it an A+. And, good grief, Trek Canon isn't as strict as Star Wars canon, so they can do pretty much whatever they want...and since this was a time-travel plot, they don't have to stick to the original series. ;)

Gaaaaa! I can't read the review at the top of the page cuz I didn't see the film yet, and it's killing me!

I hope to see it tomorrow. I'm so glad everyone is liking it!

Lol. I really think this is the only Trek film that can be watched by people who aren't Trekkies. Abrams did a really good job with keeping it Trek, but also making it good enough for non-Trekkies. It does have a slight Star Wars feel to it though, especially in the opening moments. That's probably because Abrams is more of a Wars fan than a Trek fan. But nevertheless, it's certainly well worth your time and money...oh, and be advised, if you ever cry in movies, you will probably cry in this one. I nearly did, but I didn't because I thought people might think I was weird. :p

It is cool. :) The effects are amazing. I know people have issues with the effects because, it's supposed to be before TOS, and the effects of TOS were even worse than the original Star Wars. But, in all honesty, the effects of the prequels were more advanced than the originals, and those were supposed to be even more ancient than the originals. (because the prequels took place before the originals), so whether or not the effects matched up with the original series made no difference to me.

I should also say that it's a very mild PG-13, not one that's bordering on an R. It's barely over PG, and I think it's more kid friendly than the other 10. But, the effects are the best. It was honestly amazing how much detail was put into Nero's ship\drilling rig. And the Enterprise was cool looking too, even though it's more advanced than the original. lol. And the transporter is cooler; instead of the "glitter" transport, it's a whirlwind. ;)

i'm going to see star trek on monday ... i'm not a star trek fan. but i wanna see this film ... i think the cast is wonderful. my brother was in berlin on the press screening a few weeks ago and he swarms so much about it ...

a german tv station broadcast next generation now ... i have so many memories about it. i watched it always with my brother many years ago =)

and one other **SPOILER** Uhura is not cheapened into being some random romance for Capt Kirk and she is very important to the ship.
I will say I could understand Anton Yelchin just fine (Chekov) but I never watched the original series so I don't know how different it was.

Question -)

Is this a 'Star Trek' film, true to the idea's and visions of the departed Gene Roddenberry. Or is it an 'Action film.' about drama, tension, special effects, women and making Paramount some big bucks?

Because it is important to me that it is the former, and I refuse to financially condone the latter.

and one other **SPOILER** Uhura is not cheapened into being some random romance for Capt Kirk and she is very important to the ship.
I will say I could understand Anton Yelchin just fine (Chekov) but I never watched the original series so I don't know how different it was.

His accent was much thicker in this movie than in the other movies and series. I think he went a little too overboard on trying to imitate Walter Koenig.

Question -)

Is this a 'Star Trek' film, true to the idea's and visions of the departed Gene Roddenberry. Or is it an 'Action film.' about drama, tension, special effects, women and making Paramount some big bucks?

Because it is important to me that it is the former, and I refuse to financially condone the latter.

It's both. For me, the ideas and vision of roddenberry are filled with error and sinfulness (because he was a humanist, and that's one thing I dislike about Star Trek are the humanist aspects) so any Christian shoudln't worry about the "ideas and visions" of Roddenberry being presented faithfully. No spiritual content is present in this movie (thank goodness!) because it's really not needed and isn't necessary to the story at all. That's one thing I'm glad abrams did; the other films and series delved a little too much into humanism and evolution. The funny thing was, none of that was in the story, and the story didn't need it, so why are the other movies and series laced so heavily with it?

That's one thing that makes this film worth watching. And, if nothing else, seeing Karl Urban as Bones is another reason altogether. He was the one who was the closest to Deforest Kelley in terms of performance, and I don't think he was trying to imitate Kelley. He was easily the one that was the best, and my favorite character is Bones, so for me to say that he was the best and he did a great job means that he really did. ;)

If your question is still not answered, you should see the film yourself. You will not be able to judge something if you don't see it.

I'm dying to see it! My husband has a stupid muscle spasm in his neck and didn't feel like going to the movies today. It's killing me! He's going to the chiropractor tomorrow and says we'll catch a matinee after work later this week. Can't wait. :)

iMerge the other Trek/movie thread into this one as theoretically we're only allowed one thread about Star Trek on TDL. One thread apiece about other fantasy/sci-fi worlds, and only multiple threads about Narnia or CSL's other works.

Last edited:
I don't blame him; I think it'd be hard sitting through a 2 and a half hour film with a spasm! I'm dying to see it again, but doubt I will see it again before it comes out on dvd. :(

I absolutely loved the movie.
I loved scotty. haha, I'm glad they used him (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz)

Last edited:
I haven't seen the new movie!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOT!!..

ok, so maybe I'll go next weekend. Or I'll just wait for it to come out on dvd.

I absolutely loved the movie.
I loved scotty. haha, I'm glad they used him (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz)

I wasn't crazy about Sulu, Scotty, or Chekov. Especially Chekov.

So, for those who've seen it, what were your favorite moments?

Some of mine were of course, all of Bones' scenes, and especiallly the ones where he keeps injecting Kirk and Kirk says, "Stop it!" :D

I've seen it ...
omg i'm still flashed ... it was so amazing and i really enjoyed it.. and there were so many funny moments in which the entire room has laughed ... i'm not a star trek fan ... but Star Trek could change that. and the dubbing was good. they cast good voices. but i have to see the film in english. i hope soon ... XD and the score was just awesome =)

Last edited:
I grew up on Star Trek, I've always been somewhat of a Trekkie or Trekkier as they call us now. I have watched the Enterprise and It's crew change time and time again. However James T. Kirk and Jaun Luce Picard will always be the true Captians of the Enterprise.

As for this new film, I've read up on it. From what I gather It's going to be an alternate universe kind of thing. I hear even Leonard Nimoy is reprising his role as Spock Prime. Just because of him I am inclined to see the film. HoweveR I am also curious to see what this Next Gen Star Trek is like. It looks nothing like what I grew up on, infact it almost looks more like a fusion of Star Trek and Star Wars. But since I have not seen the film, I cannot judge it. I being Trekkie must reserve my opinion.

I must ask if anyone knows who this Nero villan is? He's obviously not Klingon or of any other race from known Star Trek universe.

looks more like a fusion of Star Trek and Star Wars.
i thought the same ... at the beginning i felt like i saw revenge of the sith the space battle.
but maybe it's because the director is more a star wars fan ... and ILM makes the CGI-effects.

I must ask if anyone knows who this Nero villan is? He's obviously not Klingon or of any other race from known Star Trek universe.
he's a Romulan

Back