Magician's Nephew Speculation

While we are waiting for news...

Here is someone who I think would make a great Uncle Andrew for the Magician's Nephew and that would be John Lithgow. Many of you would know what a great actor he is on stage, screen and televison. :cool:

I have just seen the new "Rise Of The Planet of The Apes" John plays the father of James Franco and suffers from Alzheimers. He stands his own against the central character known as Caesar. :D

Here is someone who I think would make a great Uncle Andrew for the Magician's Nephew and that would be John Lithgow. Many of you would know what a great actor he is on stage, screen and televison. :cool:

I have just seen the new "Rise Of The Planet of The Apes" John plays the father of James Franco and suffers from Alzheimers. He stands his own against the central character known as Caesar. :D
Wow, I never thought of that... But now that you've mentioned it, I can't get the image out of my head!

So I went to see Star Wars in 3D last night, and this trailer came up. I actually thought for half a second that it was for "The Magician's Nephew." I know that is just plain silly, considering there is no Narnia movie in production or anything. And looking back at the trailer, the first shot of the city and the modern-day living room are clear indicators that the setting is not turn-of-the-Century England. However, listen to the music for the first 10 seconds or so of the trailer. Is it not completely identical to the music at the beginning of the first "Prince Caspian" trailer? And the fact that in the beginning of the trailer, a boy has to go live with his Aunt and Uncle. I was like, "What?! Is this some version of "The Magician's Nephew." Silly me. It's the trailer for the new "Spider Man" movie. A reboot. Not the reboot I wanted. Check out the trailer and tell me I was not completely insane for being fooled for a few seconds. Lol

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/spider-man-2012/trailer

It seems to be a thing about trailers sometimes that they reuse music from other sources to set a scene.
I dont know quite why they do this unless its got something to do with the trailer being put together before the final cut of the film is finished, so they just use something `off the shelf` rather than music from the soundtrack.
Ever notice, for example how often the theme from the old Kevin Costner `Robin Hood` movie tends to turn up.

Sometimes they HAVE to do this for two reasons.

1) The music they wrote for the film does not "come to the point" fast enough to be useful in underscoring a quick-flick trailer, or...

2) The music is written to "Cues" that don't exist yet, so it can't be performed. This is especially true in action or horror films where the music tells you what's about to happen and climaxes the instant they press the button, pull the trigger, detonate the device or kill the campers with an axe.

It seems to be a thing about trailers sometimes that they reuse music from other sources to set a scene....
Ever notice, for example how often the theme from the old Kevin Costner `Robin Hood` movie tends to turn up.

When the Costner movie was new and about to be released, IT ALSO used older music in the trailer: music from George Lucas' "Willow."

Enrapture through beauty not battle

Kind of changing topics and I haven't read every post on here so hopefully I'm not repeating anything. However, I'd like to know what others think on how they are going to create TMN. Specifically Charn and the creation of Narnia. Because when you really consider it, there really isn't any "battles" (like full-out war) in TMN. Which makes me wonder does this mean once more they will alter the plot line notably (like Voyage of the Dawn Treader)? I still love the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but one thing I disliked is they took away the exploratory and mystical adventure aspect and rather changed it to a focus on a dualism with a "dark evil". It seems like the creators are focused on always keeping some exciting, thrilling, battle-like aspect to Narnia that I think isn't necessary. Movies should be able to rapture attention with the revealing of a world and something new, artistic, and tangible without that "action-moment". I'd be fine with say they do flashbacks of old Charn. They could perhaps add minute action flicks there as if Jadis is reminiscing, which I think could really work well. But I want movies focused on the art and beauty simply of Narnia itself and the simple splendor of that "new world" aspect. Any thoughts?

Kind of changing topics and I haven't read every post on here so hopefully I'm not repeating anything. However, I'd like to know what others think on how they are going to create TMN. Specifically Charn and the creation of Narnia. Because when you really consider it, there really isn't any "battles" (like full-out war) in TMN. Which makes me wonder does this mean once more they will alter the plot line notably (like Voyage of the Dawn Treader)? I still love the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but one thing I disliked is they took away the exploratory and mystical adventure aspect and rather changed it to a focus on a dualism with a "dark evil". It seems like the creators are focused on always keeping some exciting, thrilling, battle-like aspect to Narnia that I think isn't necessary. Movies should be able to rapture attention with the revealing of a world and something new, artistic, and tangible without that "action-moment". I'd be fine with say they do flashbacks of old Charn. They could perhaps add minute action flicks there as if Jadis is reminiscing, which I think could really work well. But I want movies focused on the art and beauty simply of Narnia itself and the simple splendor of that "new world" aspect. Any thoughts?
I think the film (should it even get made) would have an epic quality not present in the books for several reasons: A). It's the first Narnia film in __ years B). It's suppose to revitalize a franchise that has now died twice --and C). because this is the origin of everything Narnian.
I believe the filmmakers will probably want to foreshadow the cracker-jacks out of LWW, and give more personality to Jadis, so we understand she isn't just a cold stand in villain, but the impersonation of Evil. I believe they might take some of the Episodic nature of the last half by tying things together into a semi-quest. Something along the lines of, Jadis having taken the trip with Uncle Andrew, turns into Jadis taking over London before they all get sucked into the woods and then back into Charn's puddle. Since Digory is at fault the Apple will probably be some kind of McGuffin that will either end/strengthen Jadis depending on how the filmmakers spin it, and returning it not only saves everyone (not only taking the Divine intervention out of the mix from the book) but sets Digory right with Aslan.
Now, hopefully they don't do something that becomes a self-saving plot instead of rely-on-faith plot, but I assume they'll want to tackle some sort of little plot there---maybe Digory's guilt and wanting to give up?
Personally I would love to see the death of Charn start the film, before it moves to Victorian London.

I hope Polly is blonde, though I always pictured Lucy as a blonde in my mind because she was in the animated LWW and I saw that before I read any of the books...

Same here. I didn't actually start reading the books until Prince Caspian I believe.

So I went to see Star Wars in 3D last night, and this trailer came up. I actually thought for half a second that it was for "The Magician's Nephew." I know that is just plain silly, considering there is no Narnia movie in production or anything. And looking back at the trailer, the first shot of the city and the modern-day living room are clear indicators that the setting is not turn-of-the-Century England. However, listen to the music for the first 10 seconds or so of the trailer. Is it not completely identical to the music at the beginning of the first "Prince Caspian" trailer? And the fact that in the beginning of the trailer, a boy has to go live with his Aunt and Uncle. I was like, "What?! Is this some version of "The Magician's Nephew." Silly me. It's the trailer for the new "Spider Man" movie. A reboot. Not the reboot I wanted. Check out the trailer and tell me I was not completely insane for being fooled for a few seconds. Lol

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/spider-man-2012/trailer

I've heard lots of trailers have music from the movie Dragonheart.

I've heard lots of trailers have music from the movie Dragonheart.

Yes, I've noticed the same. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was used in the trailer for at least one "real world" dramatic movie.

= = = = = = = = =

NOW AVAILABLE!! For those who have shown interest in my past music ministry, somebody has made a YouTube video of a song I wrote the words for! Lead vocal is Kevin S. Johnson, but I'm singing on there too. Recorded in 1976.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8fOzBbBHvQ&feature=youtu.be

The Magicians Nephew

I sort of feel uncomfortable with them making TMN, because then the other actors of other Narnian characters would grow older. But, I respect Walden Media's decision. If they want to make TMN, I totally respect that. I'd completly understand. That wouldn't change my love for Narnia, the acors, or the moviemakers by one bit.
On the other hand, I really don't know what Polly or Diggory would look like in the movie. I've always imagined Polly with blonde hair and Diggory with chocolate brown hair. Bur really, I just probably want actors who can portray those two like they are in the books. Don't you think personality is better than looks?

Last edited:
On the other hand, I really don't know what Polly or Diggory would look like in the movie. I've always imagined Polly with blonde hair and Diggory with choclate brown hair. Bur really, I just probably want actors who can portray those two like they are in the books. Don't you think personality is better than looks?

I've always pictured Polly as blonde and Digory with light brown hair, too, but I agree with you that I would rather have an actor who can accurately portray what I feel like is the personality of Polly or Digory rather than someone who meshes perfectly with my imagined appearance of Polly or Digory. I think Georgie is the epitome of how the overall personality is much more important than appearance. (Not that Georgie is ugly. She is adorable.) Georgie is a brunette, and the books describe Lucy as blonde, but Georgie nails Lucy's personality so wonderfully that I couldn't imagine and wouldn't want anyone else to play Lucy.

The point is, we want the all of Narnia movies to have a feel of Narnia. Everything's just have to feel Narnian feel, from the actors to the sets. You have to, like, get this voice in your head while your watching the movies that says, "I have just traveled into Narnia." When it has a Narnian feel, it's like you got pulled into Narnia and your there when all of the action happens and the battles.

The point is, we want the all of Narnia movies to have a feel of Narnia. Everything's just have to feel Narnian feel, from the actors to the sets. You have to, like, get this voice in your head while your watching the movies that says, "I have just traveled into Narnia." When it has a Narnian feel, it's like you got pulled into Narnia and your there when all of the action happens and the battles.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. That feel is what gives you the magic feeling that you are in Narnia, rather than watching a movie about a magical land. The feeling is hard to describe, but when you have it, you know what it is, and when you don't have it, you know what you're missing.

I wonder how the castle with all of Jadis' statues would look like in the movie. All of the stone people and the errie feeling and sun. Good luck with that filmakers!

Back