Barbarianking, were you informed Rose is back!I was snooping around on the BBC DW website and I came across a video labeled Rose! Have you seen it?
WHAT! Where's the link? Is she back for good? ANSWER ME PLEASE!!

I KNOW!!!! ROSE CAME BACK IN THIS EPISODE!!!!!!!!!!!! It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO exciting!!!!:eek:

If it is only one episode I might not watch it, it will only hurt and prolong my agony. But then again, it might just be the balm to heal my broken heart;)

Sarah Jane is back in action!!!

Well, I just saw the premiere episode of "The Sarah Jane Adventures." It was pretty good, even if it did insist (not surprisingly) on sticking in the same politically-correct military-bashing as the parent series.

Sarah Jane was first seen, not from her own viewpoint, but through the eyes of a pre-teen girl who was obviously destined to become the sidekick of "the good witch in the neighborhood." The show's approach to adventure was quickly established--echoing the views once expressed by Doctor Who actor Jon Pertwee. Mr. Pertwee told an interviewer that he liked having adventures take place on Earth, because "Daleks invading London are scarier than Daleks on a far-off planet."

The menace for the pilot story was alien, but operating on Earth. Evil invaders were using a commercial energy drink to get humans addicted as part of a planetary takeover scheme. Ironically, one of the sponsors of the program was an actual energy-drink manufacturer!

Sarah Jane explained to her sidekick about The Doctor, and how she came to have so much knowledge of futuristic science. (She even has her own version of the Sonic Screwdriver; presumably either the Doctor made it for her, or taught her how to make one.) I was wondering if she would still have the K-9 robot which the Doctor had given her: "If she still has her K-9, she might rely too heavily on it to protect her, and she won't seem to be so much in danger; but if they get rid of her K-9, we longtime Doctor Who fans will be disappointed." So the writers compromised: Sarah's K-9 does still exist, but he is unable to help her in her adventures for an indefinite period, because he is on a world-saving mission of his own. Sarah communicated with him, so the audience knows that he may turn up again.

The old series would seldom allow any woman to express anything like romantic love for the Doctor, let alone have HIM express love for any of THEM. Leela, "the savage," was the most obvious about being madly in love with the Doctor. But at long last, in her spin-off series premiere, Sarah Jane was allowed to express her own feelings at least a bit. The fact of her never having married was mentioned...and in a tone of long-cherished wistfulness, our heroine said, "There was only ever one man for me."

My sister Tammi saw the Doctor Who episode which was a set-up for the Sarah Jane series, with Sarah meeting the Doctor for the first time in many years. Tammi says that the Doctor, well aware of Sarah's fine qualities, was himself surprised that she had never married. Oh, those obtuse, insensitive males, even if they're Time Lords! Sarah set the DORK-tor straight with the simple words: "You were a hard act to follow."

I watched the Sarah Jane episode as well, the first one I've ever watched. I miss K-9, he was cool in School Reunion. I liked it, it seems that it will be pretty good

No Rose's return is a major feature of the series as is the fact that Martha will ALSO return meaning there will be three companions at one point! This last episode was brill - set in Pompeii at the eruption, the series is looking great.

Without giving anything away, there was a fine, moving line in the last Doctor Who episode I saw on Sci-Fi: "You're not falling...you're flying."

I'm a Doctor Who fan.

However, I should point out that my interest ends with the episode Survival.

Any doctors after the seventh one don't interest me.

Now, normally I wouldn't bring this up, but seeing as there are Christians here.....

Does anyone find the episodes the Demons and Image of the Fendahl to be crossing the line of what is considerable suitable stories?

They both deal with a subject that Christians would consider inappropriate!
Devil worship as science? That's just plain bad decision making!

A pity, since Leela (one of my favorite companions) is in Image of the Fendahl. But I don't want to see these episodes ever again!

What a Christian has to do to enjoy Doctor Who is to do what Mr. Lewis did when reading decidedly non-Christian literature: enjoy story elements, while not expecting the author to have been writing from a Christian viewpoint.

One could wish the Doctor Who viewpoint to have been different. In fact, I once wrote a sort of parody called "Doctor Whosever," in which my version of the Doctor finally encounters God--or, "The TimeLESS Lord"--and so becomes a believer. But the fact is, the whole thing was made up by unbelievers for unbelievers. So there is a limit to how far we can let ourselves identify with it.

The incompatible elements go MUCH farther back than the Sylvester McCoy Doctor. Almost for the whole history of the series, the writers have done what Star Trek writers also did: give space aliens the credit for every human OR divine triumph of human history. Space aliens built the Pyramids, space aliens taught mankind math and physics, space aliens gave us our laws, etc. and etc. When you say that, you are already saying that the Bible isn't true.

So each of us must decide in conscience if we can enjoy the Doctor. I can, but only with a very large grain of salt. And those of us who write stories can and should see what we can create which has the elements we liked in Doctor Who, WITHOUT the denial and ridicule of our faith.

The single biggest good thing to bring away from the Doctor is the very thing which has always caused him to have armies of adoring FEMALE fans: a thing which, fittingly enough, is also one of his nearer approaches to being compatible with Christianity. I refer to his NOT EXPLOITING PEOPLE, women in particular. He protects women WITHOUT expecting to "get some" in return.

Time for the shameless plug. If you follow my graphic link to the Narnian story I wrote, and if you read it through, you will find a character a little bit in moral nature like the Doctor if the Doctor were a Christian. His name is Kuzdikal; go find him.

Last edited:
In the 1960s, they considering writing a story where the Doctor met God.

Or something like that, it was a giant man's face in space.

But it was deemed too controversial and they never did it.

But the scene was rewritten in the Time Monster, when the Doctor and Jo meet the human form of Kronos, who appears to them as the face of a Grecian woman in the vortex.

Hearing you guys talk about Sara Jane and the Old Dr. Who's series makes me want to watch them. Are the old series available in DVD? When is Sara Jane on in California time on Sci Fi?

I agree with you buck. I know you're not interested in the newer ones but there are examples in that too. In one episode it has the Doctor destroying the Devil... a little controversial, unless you take him as a Jesus figure!?!?

Anyway, awesome Dr. Who last Saturday. Enjoyed it very much. We find out where the Ood come from. Next episodes it's the return of the Salitans and also Martha comes back into it. Can't wait for tomorrow!

The writers are just DYING to let the Doctor have an all-out, unabashed, nothing-hidden ROMANCE with a female companion. But they've sort of trapped themselves; no matter which young lady finally snags him, fans of the OTHER female companions will be outraged! Which reminds me: I'm very sorry that "The Sarah Jane Adventures" appears to have been axed already; it showed promise, and Elizabeth Sladen has aged VERY VERY gracefully.

Meanwhile--no, the BBC does not want the Doctor to be a Jesus figure, because they don't even want JESUS to be a Jesus figure! No matter how much fans may try to overlook it or explain it away, the regrettable fact is that the writers of "Doctor Who" are totally hostile to ANY belief in a personal God.

Last edited:
The writers are just DYING to let the Doctor have an all-out, unabashed, nothing-hidden ROMANCE with a female companion. But they've sort of trapped themselves; no matter which young lady finally snags him, fans of the OTHER female companions will be outraged! Which reminds me: I'm very sorry that "The Sarah Jane Adventures" appears to have been axed already; it showed promise, and Elizabeth Sladen has aged VERY VERY gracefully.

Meanwhile--no, the BBC does not want the Doctor to be a Jesus figure, because they don't even want JESUS to be a Jesus figure! No matter how much fans may try to overlook it or explain it away, the regrettable fact is that the writers of "Doctor Who" are totally hostile to ANY belief in a personal God.

You're right there CF, but still, I think it's funny how much they portray him as one without meaning to. To me, it seem they attempt to make a better than Jesus character, not understanding they're actually just giving him all his qualities.

I was about to resurrect this thread....

How many of you have been following the new series? If so what are your opinions on it? (keep in mind, if you live in England, that we in the US get our episodes slower. We don't even get the new episodes this week because of the 4th of July!)

My comments, remaining spoiler free

Partners in crime was fun, the plot kind of reminded me of what I've seen of the Sarah Jane adventures.... The Adipose were very cute for aliens and that part at the end, wow, I don't think any of us were expecting that

Fires of Pompeii was very cool, the villains were good for the begining of the season and Donna is very sweet, more so than I would ever have expected of her.

Planet of the Ood, was good too. The Ood are too cute to be villains, but they can get pretty scary. Donna is very sweet again and the comment about the Doctor's song still has me stumped...

The two Sontaran episodes were fun, Sontarans are cool and slightly funny and it was more awesome than I can express to have Martha back again

the sixth episode *drumroll* is the most awesome episode of Doctor who that has ever been made, excluding possibly the end of last season. And that's including the slightly depressing ending. There isn't much more I can say about it than that.

The Unicorn and the Wasp was a cool episode, mysteries work very well with Doctor who and adding another explanation of a mystery to the Doctor's list was irresistible I'm sure

The Silence in the library two parter was even freakier than Blink, to this day I still have trouble getting into bed in the dark. The writer of that episode is a genius, and I am so thankful he's still around Doctor Who.

that's as far as we've got so far in the US

Ha ha! I made my new banner with quotes from the very last two-part episode, the one that has Gondorgirl scared! Kind of cool, ain't it?

Spoiler He's leaving becuse in the last episode he was regerating. And also he is going away to play Hamlet in the theater.

I might be wrong though.

Back