Oh my goodness! Hobbiton! I'm totally switching my dream vacation from Australia to New Zealand. Or maybe both while I am in that part of the world.

I've never read The Hobbit or any of the books in the series. I have seen all the Lord of The Rings movies so I am excited for The Hobbit. The trailers look awesome.

Wow Hobbiton. Now, is that the set they left when they made The Lord of the Rings or is that a new set for The Hobbit? Anyway, the detail is awesome.

Last edited:
I've never read The Hobbit or any of the books in the series. I have seen all the Lord of The Rings movies so I am excited for The Hobbit. The trailers look awesome.

Wow Hobbiton. Now, is that the set they left when they made The Lord of the Rings or is that a new set for The Hobbit? Anyway, the detail is awesome.

Yeah, they basically just rebuilt it and turned it into a tourist attraction. I'd like to see it in person though.

That's very sad... you really should. They are awesome...

In some ways I actually liked The Hobbit better than The Lord of the Rings. There was less fatalism in The Hobbit, less of a sense that you can't do this, you can't do that, you're destined for this, you're destined for that.

" " " " " " " " " " " " " "

NOW AVAILABLE!! For those who have shown interest in my past music ministry, somebody has made a YouTube video of a song I wrote the words for! Lead vocal is Kevin S. Johnson, but I'm singing on there too. Recorded in 1976.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8fOzBbBHvQ&feature=youtu.be

In some ways I actually liked The Hobbit better than The Lord of the Rings. There was less fatalism in The Hobbit, less of a sense that you can't do this, you can't do that, you're destined for this, you're destined for that.
It was definitely more of a light-hearted story! My English teacher read it aloud to the class when we were in 5th or 6th grade. Too old to be read to, but we loved it ...

I wonder though if they'll let the movie remain more light-hearted than the LOTR movies?

It's Peter Jackson; I seriously doubt he will add, change, or remove anything from the story that isn't absolutely necessary. His reasoning for the changes in LotR make much sense, and I think were necessary for a successful trilogy of films. I've never considered The Hobbit very lighthearted, but I do find it much easier to read.

It's Peter Jackson; I seriously doubt he will add, change, or remove anything from the story that isn't absolutely necessary. His reasoning for the changes in LotR make much sense, and I think were necessary for a successful trilogy of films. I've never considered The Hobbit very lighthearted, but I do find it much easier to read.

Very classy comment AK ;)

I think I ever have waited for a movie to be released since RotK. The funny thing is I am going to do exactly the same thing for my work as I did almost 10 years ago and now the Hobbit is coming out this year :D

Very classy comment AK ;)

I think I ever have waited for a movie to be released since RotK. The funny thing is I am going to do exactly the same thing for my work as I did almost 10 years ago and now the Hobbit is coming out this year :D

It's so crazy that its coming out this year :eek: ... 10 years... such a long time...

Is everyone still discussing the movie seriously or is everyone still fangirling about the dwarf dudes?

It is quite nostalgic to have a new PJ/Tolkien film to look forward to for my birthday! I loved those years when the LOTR movies came out one after another in December, and each one in time for my birthday! One year I won tickets to one of the films at church, by answering a trivia question about Gollum ... Totally geeky!

It is quite nostalgic to have a new PJ/Tolkien film to look forward to for my birthday! I loved those years when the LOTR movies came out one after another in December, and each one in time for my birthday! One year I won tickets to one of the films at church, by answering a trivia question about Gollum ... Totally geeky!
That's awesome. :D

I never got to see LotR in theater, because I was too young. xD That's why I'm guiltily pleased that it took them so long to make the Hobbit. ;)

That's awesome. :D

I never got to see LotR in theater, because I was too young. xD That's why I'm guiltily pleased that it took them so long to make the Hobbit. ;)
Bah, I forget how long it's been and how young some of our little folks are! I think it's fabulous that it has been 10 years so a new generation can get excited about a new LOTR film. Oh my goodness, I can still remember seeing the first preview for the first LOTR film -- I didn't even know they were making one, and I saw the Orcs and Hobbits, and I was about to have a fit in the cinema! I mean a live action LOTR movie and it looked so cool, not cheesy at all -- I was freaking out. Then I freaked out over every movie when it came out ... and when ROTK won for Best Picture, I was totally over the moon!

I'm glad there's going to be another one!

Well, here are two changes:

Ringwraiths have tombs (what the?)

Radagast is pulled on a sled by bunnies/jackrabbits. (could be Beorn, which would make more sense)

Discuss.

Back