C.S. Lewis, The Most Reluctant Convert

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
Max Maclean of Fellowship for Performing Arts has put together another C.S. Lewis-based show! This time he draws on Surprised by Joy and Jack's other non-fiction writings to dramatize his odyssey to faith.

https://fpatheatre.com/
And I get to go see it with my husband next Sunday!! Can't wait :)
I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, the play is booked for Chicago and London too after it leaves the Los Angeles metroplex.

The trailer for the film, "The Most Reluctant Convert" is out! I can't wait to see it November 3 in the U.S.!
Here is the stirring trailer from Fellowship For Performing Arts!

November 2021 update:
I got to see this on opening night with a full theater.
It followed the play --which I had also enjoyed a couple of years ago as a one-man show-- but the added cinematography, which was beautiful, really fleshed out the script. Prepare to hear a lot of voiceovers rather than a traditional film propelled by dialogue; but considering this movie was shot in the midst of pandemic with so many restrictions, such an approach made a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Far too many Christians imagine that quoting John 3:16 fifty or sixty times should be enough, all by itself, to enlighten any unbeliever. This ultra-simplistic approach flourishes, in part, because they don't understand the very same King James English which they think they understand.

Jesus said (in King James translation) that the way to Heaven was "S-T-R-A-I-T and narrow." I believe that it's translated the same way in the Douay Catholic Bible. Semi-literate Christians just assume that this means "S-T-R-A-I-G-H-T." But in reality, "strait" MEANS NARROW (thus, a Hebrew-style double statement); and a narrow path can have bends and switchbacks. From this error, they move on to the related error (which appeals to their emotions) of believing that the EXPERIENCE of conversion must be and always is kindergarten-simple. A straight line from hearing John 3:16 to being an established Christian, just like that. No details, no complications, no turns in the path, no course corrections, no variety of experiences, no crucial difference in people's individual personalities. "Who cares what Mister Lewis learned OUTSIDE the Bible? All that matters is that he heard John 3:16!"

Mister Lewis himself wrote: "Anyone can be simple if he has no facts to bother about." Excessive simplicity is the MORTAL ENEMY of understanding. Those who refuse to take interest in the INDIVIDUAL DETAILS of a particular person's experience with God, are cheating themselves out of a testimony which could help THEM toward spiritual maturity.

Interesting observation, Copperfox!
In Matthew 7:13-14 (King James Version) it reads:

13 Enter ye in at the strait* gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait* is the gate, and narrow** is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

*strait gate ( = "stene"); which means narrow
**narrow ( = "thlibo") is the way; which means "restricted, narrow, compressed," or figuratively as "distressed, afflicted, oppressed")

Thus, as you observed, "strait" ( or "stene") refers to the narrowness of the gate; also, the way is narrow ( or "thlibo"), which does not suggest straightness of the path at all, only its width. Lewis's journey to faith truly was characterized by distress and affliction -- a very apt description. But what a glory that he did open his heart to the Savior, however reluctantly!

P.S. Thank you Berean Beruna for looking up the Greek vocabulary for me from A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Bauer, Arndt, and Gingrich.

Back