Nellie and the Native.

Narnia_bookworm

Nellie Oleson was sitting on the edge of the creek. Her curly blonde hair was swaying in the breeze. The smell of wood and sweet briny grass permeated her nostrils. She was just as shocked as you probably we're to hear of Nellie sitting on a patch of grass near the creek. Nellie's bubblegum pink bonnet was tied to her neck and placed perfectly on her head, so her complexion wouldn't become ruined.

Her lace dress was also in the hue of pink. It was the finest material that her mother could find. She had it imported from Paris. Just then a girl's voice rang gallantly along the prairie.

"Do you think Ma will let us go camping with Pa?"

"I don't know Laura! It would be awhile before we were back, and Ma wouldn't want us to risk being late for the first day of school."

"You're probably right!", Laura said in a disappointed tone.

Nellie couldn't help overhearing Laura and Mary talking about camping. She got off the creek bank and ran to Laura.

"So your Pa's going to let you go camping, is he?"

"I don't know Nellie. What's it to you anyway?"

"I was just wondering, because it would be good to go with my two dearest friends."

Nellie began to smile at Laura. Laura's face looked surprised at this comment.

"Well. It's not certain if we can go or not Nellie. Our Pa still has to talk it over with Ma. Camping's not as easy as it seems. There will be a lot of rocks, cliffs, and many wild animals surrounding the camp site."

"You don't think I can handle the wilderness. If you let me go with Laura, I'll let you play with my new doll for a week and give you whatever candy you want from the Mercantile."

Just then Laura remembered that Nellie grew up in upstate New York before coming to Walnut Grove.

I saw Laura the next day and immediately ran up to her.

"Laura! Laura! What did your Pa say?"

"He said that we're going camping. I told him that you asked if you could come along, and he thought it was a splendid idea."

"Oh, thank you so much Laura! I'm surprised that you're letting me go."

"Why should you ever be Nellie?"

"Because of all the nasty things I've done to you before."

"I can't a hold a grudge, Plus my Ma and Pa say it's better to forgive and to treat someone how you would want to be treated. Plus if you were going to go camping, and I asked it would be nice to go along, even if we quarreled in the past."

I then did something that I even surprised myself with. I went up to Laura and I hugged her. I could tell she was taken aback at first, but then a smile spread wide across her face.

I felt a sense of warmth and happiness spreading throughout my whole body. That night I was sitting in the parlor that was adjacent to my parents store. Ma came in.

"You seem so happy Nellie, darling."

"Oh, I am mother. Laura invited me to go camping with her this weekend. At first I didn't believe it, but then you could see the sincerity in her eyes and hear it in her voice. I am ever so excited, mother. I'm also nervous. Not because of Laura, because I realized she is sweet after all, but because I haven't been camping ever since we left New York State five years ago."

"I'm sure it will be fine dear. Plus you'll have Mr. Ingalls with you. He knows a lot about camping and won't let anything happen to anyone."

I felt a little relieved from my mother's reassurance. I went up to my room to think of what I would need to bring for camping.

Especially if it were a venomous one! However, my guess is that Nellie would scream, and run a mile if she were to see a snake, even a harmless grass snake!

Last edited:
Nellie was awoken on Saturday morning from a shout downstairs.

"Who in tarnation's is knocking this early in the morning?", said her pa.

Nellie crept down the stairs in her night clothes.

"Why, Laura, whatever are you doing here this early?"

"I was just wondering if Nellie's all ready for the trip. My pa and I got up early this morning."

Just then I came running down the last few steps.

"Laura! I didn't expect you this early! I had everything packed since last night. Let me just get out of my day clothes and I'll be right down".

I picked up the sack full of my clothes, and parasol, and then headed back downstairs.

"It's good to see that you're ready Nellie. Thanks for letting Nellie come along", said Laura.

"It's no problem. I'm glad that you and your Pa invited my girl to go camping".

"It's no problem, Mr. Oleson".

Pa turned towards me, and started to speak.

"Now Nellie you have a good time. Remember to mind Mr, Ingalls, and do as he says".

"Yes, father. I'll be such a sweet girl".

I waved goodbye to pa, and put my arm around Laura, and she put hers around me. We walked gayly to the store steps, and began to descend them together. Her pa was already there in the wagon with his team of mustangs in front of the rig.

"Good morning, Mr. Ingalls".

"Good morning, Nellie. I see you're all set. I'll take that", he said as he reached for my camping sack.

I climbed up the side of the wagon and Laura gave me a boost as I had a hard climbing over the board of the rig as my dress kept getting caught on a pole.

"Westward to camp", said Mr. Ingalls.

The wagon jeered and started to rumble across the ground. Soon we were moving in quick succession onto the camp site.

"Don't you like wagon rides, Nellie?". said Laura.

"Not much", I replied as I closed my eyes so I couldn't see the ground move by on our view from the side of the wagon.

"But you came from New York to here in a wagon".

"Yes. But it was horrible. I was laying down a lot, so I didn't have to see the scenery flashing in a blur before my eyes".

"How are you girls making out back there"?, said Mr. Ingalls.

"We're fine, Pa", I heard Laura say. "Nellie's just not used to wagon travel".

"It's ok Nellie. We're almost through the rough part. Anyways, you're with Half-Pint. She'll keep you safe."

I felt a little better upon the words of encouragement, but the queasy feeling was still there. I inched towards Laura.

"Can I rest my head on your lap Laura"?

"You may, Nellie".

I felt a hand brushing my head and telling me everything will be alright. It was at that moment that I realized that the girl who I once thought was my arch enemy possessed a sweet nature. She was truly a friend.

Last edited:
I found two pictures that are from the NBC "Little House" series that go along with my fan-fiction. The first one represents Nellie coming out of her parents place to go in the wagon with Laura. The second one represents where Laura and Nellie are at the campsite.

Attachments

• anne-gables-little-house-nellie-cute-untitled.jpg
    anne-gables-little-house-nellie-cute-untitled.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 23
  • anne-gables-little-house-laura-nellie-campout-untitled.jpg
    anne-gables-little-house-laura-nellie-campout-untitled.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 23
I woke up to sound of water running downstream. We we're at the camp site.

"We're here Nellie!", piped up Laura. "Isn't this so grand"?

The sun was up and it sparkled beautifully on calm creek. The smell and feel of fresh water made me perk. Or it could've been the rest I took in the wagon on our way over. Laura was still smiling at me, and I realized there was a special quality of beauty about her. The fact that she was just being who she was made her natural beauty shine. I walked to creek's edge where Laura was standing and she playfully splashed water towards my direction.

"Don't you dare get me wet, Laura Ingalls, or I get even with you for this", I said jokingly. "Or that's how I would've reacted before".

"You seem so different Nellie. It's as if something has changed inside of you".

"Well. I saw how nice you were to me Laura, and for some reason it felt like I couldn't hate you anymore".

"I'm touched Nellie. That's the nicest thing that you ever said to me".

The fish that Laura's pa caught for dinner was sizzling and smelling delicious at high noon. And I had a hearty appetite

As Laura was talking to her Pa, I started to walk into the woods. The river was flowing and sounding like music to my ears. I was taking in all the sites and sounds that the woods offered. I made my way to the edge of the river, and noticed I was on a steep cliff. I was not used to be on such a cliff or up that high, or maybe I forgot what it was like being away from New York State for so long. As I continued to walk I heard footsteps in the woods. At first I thought it was Laura.

I turned around and there was an Indian standing in front of me. She had long dark hair that was braided on each side just like Laura's. I was so startled by seeing her, and how she creeped up behind me without making a sound. I let out a little shriek and started to tumble over the cliff. Just as I was about to fully fall, I saw a hand reach towards me, and pull back to the grass and away from the river.

"Thank You for saving me! My name is Nellie."

The Indian girl was looking at me as though she didn;t understand a thing I just said. Another girl walked up next to the other, and she started to speak.

"Hi, Nellie. This is my sister Anpaytoo and I am Chumani."

"Hi, Anypaytoo and Chumani. I'm so glad your sister was here to rescue me."

"It's our pleasure. It would've been a nasty fall if you went over the edge. My Sister is ever observant when people are in danger."

Just at that moment Laura and her Pa came to where I was.

"Who we're you talking to Nellie?"

Oh, just two Native girls."

"How could you be? We didn't see anyone on our way over to come and get you."

Nellie looked back to where she saw the two Native girls, and they were nowhere around.

The End

Back