The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia > The Last Battle

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 AM

Princess Frances is on a distinguished road
Default "lipstick, nylons and invitations"

I've just read another statement that using girl-ied up things as symbols of Susan's materialism is sexist. Using feminine markers for a female character isn't sexist. Nor is a girl saying she likes pretty dresses... yet that sort of statement is being removed in reprints of many old children's books.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you, Frances, for supplying some common sense. The pop-culture insistence that EVERY female has to be an indestructible kung-fu goddess has gotten really, really old.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 PM
Friend of Narnia

MrBob has a spectacular aura aboutMrBob has a spectacular aura about

The book was written in the 50s and those things attributed to Susan were symbols of femininity. We can't simply use today's morality to determine if something was sexist back then. However, as has been noted on this site before, it wasn't Susan's interests in the feminine aspects that was her problem, it was her obsession in those things to the detriment of her spiritual life and her academics.

MrBob

What's magic? Nothing but the ability to do what everybody knows is impossible.
...Only my dear little witch, just remember that nothing is impossible.

Marlowe to Anna Maria Rosalita
"Flight to the Lonesome Place" by Alexander Key
Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 PM

Hermit of Archenland will become famous soon enough

what I find rather ironic about this topic is that early feminists might well have applauded Lewis' supposed criticism of such symbols of femininity. They would have regarded lipsticks and nylons as instruments of patriarchal oppression.

The problem is that on this issue Lewis just can't win. No matter how he wrote his female characters people would still accuse him of sexism.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 PM

Lucy Fan is on a distinguished road

I remember being offended when reading the Narnia books about Lewis's attitude towards people who are overweight since I am one of those people. But, someone reminded me that when Lewis wrote the books people thought differently.

I agree that it isn't sexist.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:58 AM

Lucy Fan is on a distinguished road

Hmm...I made a post for this but it disappeared I guess.

As others have stated when C.S. Lewis wrote the books people lived and thought differently. I remember when I was sort of offended at the way people who are overweight were interpreted, thinking as an overweight person I wouldn't be worthy of Narnia. But, I think back then people who were overweight were considered very selfish, during a time when a lot of people didn't have enough money for food or barely had enough money for anything food related so I think lots of people were skinny and the overweight people had more money than they knew what to do with so they used it to make themselves fat among other things.

History isn't my strong point so if I'm wrong I do apologize.