The First Love Of Alipang Havens

Oh, my, word!!! I love this story!!! Like said in the film twilight This is my own personal brand of herione! lolx I love that line but I am addicted to this story!!! I would faint but then I miss the story!:D:):p:cool:

By "heroine," I assume you mean Chilena. She was the character created and played by Gentle Voice in the "Homeschoolers" roleplay. Interestingly, GV's concept of the character changed. As first imagined by GV, Chilena was Filipino by blood like Alipang, but was part of a different family. Then GV decided that she wanted instead for Chilena to be a blonde Caucasian girl--but a sister to Alipang through also having been adopted by the childless Eric and Cecilia Havens.

As a matter of fact, the very title of my story has a double meaning. The purpose of the whole story is to show what happens between Alipang and his teenage crush Kim Tisdale--the character played briefly by Kim Hightower, known to us as Dayhawk. I have yet to reach that time in Alipang's life in this forum-novel; but there is another sense in which _Chilena_ is Alipang's first love, entirely within her sisterly role. She plays a vital part in changing him from a desperate wild creature back into the loving brother he had been before his original family was destroyed. In addition to the romantic love that Kim brings into Alipang's heart, GV and I made family love a big part of the old roleplay, and I continue that in this version--because a good relationship with an opposite-sex sibling can make a _huge_ difference in enabling us to relate well to the opposite sex.

Last edited:
Saturday evening, the Havens family in their new SUV went for supper to a house which was just a notch or two more moved-into than theirs: the new home of Dad's friend, the Navy SEALS veteran Wilson Kramer. Lieutenant Kramer surprised them all with his cooking ability, offering a selection of dishes from several countries including a pretty passable rendition of Filipino eggrolls or lumpia. Alipang and Chilena praised their host's achievement, though privately they had no doubt that they would taste better when they ate at the Pansit Paradise in the near future.

After supper, Quinn Kramer showed Alipang and Chilena how to play one of his least violent video games, while Cecilia Havens kept her Chinese daughters occupied....and, out of the children's hearing, Eric talked with their host about the faithlessness of Lorraine Kramer.

Before the evening was ended, Eric asked his friend, "Will you come attend Redemption Church with us tomorrow? We really like the leadership there."

"I promise I'll worship with you there soon," replied the counterterrorist veteran. "But for tomorrow I'm committed to attend House On Rock Baptist Church. It was recommended to me by a Baptist chaplain at Norfolk. Poor guy was always under pressure _never_ to mention Jesus by name; so I want to give him a moral victory by taking his recommendation."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

That night, when everyone else was asleep, Alipang and Chilena once again held a nocturnal meeting in their nightwear. But not _inside_ either one's new bedroom. They _would_ visit each other's rooms in the future, even at night; but on this first night of using them, by an unspoken agreement, each would stay out of the other one's bedroom--to begin accustoming themselves to the subtle increase of personal distance which came with their growing older.

Much like their predawn meeting, they sat close together on the used sofa downstairs...hugged and snuggled at will...spoke of whatever interested them, including their new friends the Katons...prayed together for several minutes with joined hands...felt the onslaught of yawning, and finally went upstairs.

On the landing, halfway between his door and hers, they kissed goodnight, then went to their separate territories.

Chilena slept peacefully. Alipang, however, had another nightmare, again about being unable to rescue loved ones in peril. Chilena heard him shouting in his sleep...but made herself stay where she was, allowing Dad to be the one who went into Alipang's room and reassured him.

I can't believe I haven't commented here yet! shame on me! I've been reading it diligently and love it to pieces so why haven't I said so yet!? :D
Great story please keep it up.

Sunday morning, for once, Alipang _outslept_ most of the family.

When he did awaken, and consciously took in just what a comfortable bed he was lying in, he decided to turn over and go back to sleep. He was sure there was time yet before he would need to start preparing for church. He had almost fallen asleep again, when a tap on his door was accompanied by Chilena's voice, half-whispering simply, "Al?"

"Don't you dare come in," he responded in a blatantly fake-annoyed voice--in Tagalog, so he would be sure his words made sense. "Not only don't I have any clothes on, I've unzipped my skin and removed part of my skeleton, so I can inspect my internal organs."

The door creaked open, admitting a familiar giggle. "Okay, I'll just send in some of my lymph glands." The lymph glands came in, but still encased in the rest of Chilena, who was in turn clad in jeans and a floral blouse, but still barefoot. Deciding that the T-shirt and baggy jogging shorts he had slept in were as decent for her to see him in now as they had been last night, Alipang threw off his covers and sat up.

"You're already dressed. What time IS it?" he asked. Chilena closed his door behind her before stepping closer and answering with a sly grin:

"Time for an...AMBUSH HUG!!"--and she flung herself upon him, his arms receiving her in a familiar game. They playfully wrestled onto and over the floor, until--as was always the outcome unless Alipang felt like letting Chilena win--she was helplessly pinned beneath him. But then, his own arms which encircled her were also pinned beneath her back.

"Before I let you up," he breathed into her face, trying somehow to _make_ his breath stinky, "you have to tell me what time it is on the _clock,_ so I know if I have to hurry for church."

"Stinky breath right back!" said his vanquished-yet-still-defiant antagonist, making her own attempt to generate halitosis with will power, while still hugging him as tightly as he hugged her. "It's only eight-fifteen, so there's plenty of time even for a _lazy_ boy like you!"

"LAZY? Okay, you asked for it!"--and soon the siblings were locked in an all-out stinky-breath duel, puffing at each other like opposing steam engines until they were both light-headed. Rather than slump his full weight upon Chilena, Alipang tugged his right arm out from under the small of his sister's back, and rolled to his left, off of her and onto the floor beside her, with his left arm still under her shoulderblades and her right arm under his waist. Their faces turned toward each other, to brace forehead against forehead in a last feeble faint vestige of pretending to be angry and fighting.

"If there's so much time," grumbled Alipang, "why did you get me up so soon?"

Chilena's free left hand slid across his T-shirt to grip his right shoulder, pulling her partway up and over him. "Because I wanted you to promise me something."

He grinned broadly. "As a gracious winner, I can afford to be nice to my _defeated_ opponent."

She made a silly mock-furious face. "DEFEATED? That's an insult! I demand a rematch!"--and they wrestled again, with the same result, except that this time Alipang pulled his arms out from under her at the last instant and held her down by the wrists, again keeping most of his weight off her.

"Now that I've defeated you twice, I'm feeling even _more_ generous. I'll make you _two_ promises." Then he let her up, so that they could sit side by side on the floor with their backs against his bed...for he realized that there _was_ something she seriously wanted him to promise. "What can I do for you, Chil?" he whispered, pulling her close.

Chilena looked around as if she expected the rest of the family to barge in and interrupt their bonding moment. Then: "Things will change a lot for us, Al, but I don't want US to change more than we _have_ to. First, I want you to please, please promise me that even when you get married someday, you'll still always love me too."

"Of course I will;" and he kissed her temple. "Only, you have to promise the same thing to me."

She smiled like a sunrise over the Leyte Gulf. "That's what the second promise I want from you is about: that you'll _believe_ me that _I'll_ still always love _you_ too even when I get married."

"Sounds good; so, do we both promise and both believe the other one's promise?"

"Forever;" and she snuggled up still closer, till the point was made on both sides. Then Alipang gently shooed her out so he could start his own morning routine. He and Chilena had been each other's great source of emotional stability for a long time now; although the _ways_ in which they continued their closeness would change with time and growing up, nothing could possibly remove the _fact_ of the love between them. At the same time, he was looking forward to making more new friends at church, and so much the better if Chilena also made a crowd of pals.

Last edited:
PART ONE: NEW FACES IN OLD VIRGINIA

At a ranch-style house on the outskirts of Smoky Lake, Virginia, beautiful fortyish Elizabeth Tisdale watched her four daughters, fatherless by reason of abandonment, caring busily for the family's growing menagerie of pets and four-legged visitors. The latter category currently comprised two yearling Morgan horses, whose owners had brought them to Mrs. Tisdale to be given low-pressure early training at being led with a bridle. The income Elizabeth would earn from this would help keep the Tisdales' heads above water. The twins Susan and Sharon, oldest of her offspring, were graduates of Smoky Lake East High School; but there was not yet money to send them even to Doverhill Community College within reach of home. Not with Harvey Tisdale enjoying a new life in Argentina with a tango instructress.

Amid making friends with the yearlings, Elizabeth glanced at her youngest, 13-year-old Kim, who was playing with her tawny kitten Leo. Kim was no great burden when it came to clothing expenditures; she favored thrift-shop grunge. But it was a shame that her _reason_ for this preference was what it was.

Baeline, alias Betsy, next up from Kim in age and a sophomore at East High, turned from feeding the hutch rabbits to assess her little sister's oversize babydoll dress and combat boots. Quietly, almost apologetically, she said, "Kimmy--"

"Don't add the Cocopuff part," the younger girl interrupted, her thick dark hair tossing as she faced her fairer-haired sister.

"Kim, then. Do you have any idea _how_ pretty you're getting? I mean, top to toe pretty?"

Hugging Betsy to confirm no hard feelings, Kim said, "You're a flatterer. But flattery from you is safer than flattery from the sharks."

Betsy hugged her back. "In middle school? They're not _that_ bad, Kimmy."

"Ounce of prevention," muttered Kim. "The combat boots stay."

lol I love it!!! ha ha ha ha
but I dont think I could say any of that when I was 13! lolz:p:D

Kim-the-actual-person, I am sincerely pleased to have your approval for my portrayal of Kim-the-character. I still welcome any input you may decide to send me about the fictional Tisdale family which was your creation, such as if you think the twins would get husbands soon.

Hannah, I am no less pleased with your approval of how your Chilena is shown here. By now it may not surprise anyone when I say that my actual sisters and I were, and are, close.

Last edited:
PART TWO: A WARM CHRISTMAS IN THE COLD

It was a mercy but also a disappointment for the now 13-year-old Alipang (whose birthday was November 5) that Virginia saw very little snow in December of 2004. Even very mild winter temperatures were still bitterly frigid to the Filipino boy, and he had no compensating thrills of sledding and snowball fights. But he and his sisters derived plenty of enjoyment from Christmas season itself.

The first Christmas carolling party of the winter was held by Redemption Free Church. So many participants showed up that they split into two singing squads. One, led by the Stetzers, began its itinerary by going to carol for the local nursing home. The other, led by the Richardsons, hit the streets immediately. In this second group, besides the Richardson family, were the Katons, the Capshaws, the Havens (with Alipang bundled up enough for three people, and only barely able to carry a tune), Dr. Diana Wicklund who was now the general practicioner for the Havens family's own medical needs, and two extra teenagers named Pete Gordon and Lucinda Rockwell, who had become friendly with Alipang and Chilena.

They had not been out for very long--Alipang still had normal feeling in his feet--when they came to the Heron family residence, which was missing the husband of the house this Christmas. Here lived one of Alipang and Chilena's church friends, a fellow homeschooler: Summer Heron, about the same age as the older Havens children. Right now, a hospital in Richmond was in its third month of trying to help Summer's Dad, the brain-injured Nick Heron, become more responsive. Alipang felt for his friend Summer, and hoped she would feel up to joining the carolling.

She did feel up to it, and she did join.

Between "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" and "Angels We Have Heard On High," Summer told Alipang and Chilena, "Mom is trying to see if our insurance will let us move Dad up to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore..."

"Our jet landed in that city!" interjected Alipang, who for the past six or seven weeks had been especially enthusiastic for United States geography. "Biggest city in Maryland, but Annapolis is the state capital."

"Stop that, Al!" Chilena scolded. "Summer's talking about something important--" Then the next carol began. A crestfallen Alipang didn't sing.

After the final "In excelsis Deo," and while a choice was being made between "Jingle Bells" and "Silver Bells," Summer noticed Alipang's sudden gloom. Laying a hand on his shoulder--or rather, on the two scarves passing over that shoulder--she said, "Don't feel bad, Al, I'm not mad at you. Anyway, Johns Hopkins is a very prestigious hospital--"

The boy cheered up with the assurance that his friend was not offended. "I guess a church hospital is good."

Summer smiled. "No, Al, you're thinking of 'Presbyterian.' 'Prestigious' means it's famous and people respect it. And don't feel bad about _that,_ either." This was all she had time to say, before "Silver Bells" won the vote.

While singing, Chilena--who could sing immeasurably better than her brother--purposely wrapped her arms around Alipang. This was partly to help warm him; partly to second Summer's forgiveness of the interruption of Summer's talk about her father; and partly because Chilena felt just a _little_ jealous of Summer's friendship with her brother.

Last edited:
Summer, a smart and perceptive girl, said nothing about Chilena's mild possessiveness of her brother, but subtly gravitated to Dr. and Mrs. Havens, who were sincerely interested in news of Mr. Heron. Cecilia Havens had brought more than one homecooked supper to the Herons over the months since their first introduction, and twice had brought Summer on homeschool-related field trips along with her own children.

Chilena remained latched onto Alipang for many carols following. At one point, when he complained of numb hands, she took one of his hands, momentarily removed its glove and set the bare hand against the side of her own neck to warm it, then did as much for his other hand.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Meanwhile, the pastor's contingent, including Jim Castle the church worship leader, was invading the relatively poor neighborhood on the south edge of town. War veteran Wilson Kramer was in this group with his son Quinn, his special-forces eyes on the alert as always. One of the best voices belonged to a boy named Grant Perry, who was about seven months younger than Alipang.

At one of the outermost houses, its land extending some ways out with apple trees, Susan Tisdale and her mother called for the other human occupants of the house to hurry and see the carollers. Sharon and Betsy came, but--

"Where's Kim?" asked Elizabeth, the mother.

"She won't come out of her room," replied Betsy, Kim's closest confidante. "The bruise on her face is too big. She doesn't want any of the carollers to see it."

"So they won't know she was in another fight?" asked Susan.

"So they won't know she lost," explained Betsy.

"If she wouldn't GET in fights with stuck-up rich girls--at least not with two or three of them at the same time--she wouldn't HAVE bruises," grumbled Sharon.

"Be fair," protested Betsy. "Those girls in her study hall had been ragging on her for her tomboy look for days; it finally got to be too much for her. And she was doing fine against them, till the boyfriend of one of them knocked her down with his fist."

The subject of this discussion sat in her room, losing herself in a CD of Tori Amos. It wasn't that she hated Christmas carols; but Betsy was right. Kim Tisdale's tough-chick image would suffer if people were reminded of the fact that a mere male had clocked her so easily. Thus it was not ordained that Kim would at this time become acquainted with anyone from Redemption Church; but her mother, seeing the wholesome and positive look of the singers, filed the existence of their church in her mind....

Last edited:
When the carolling was over, those who didn't have to race instantly home gathered in the church basement for refreshments. This included some lumpia brought over by the Imadas, who had just closed their restaurant for the night. Lucinda Rockwell engaged Chilena in conversation over cocoa and popcorn, so Summer could reclaim her friend for awhile at the same table.

"Are the police any closer to catching the snakes who hurt your father?" Alipang asked Summer.

She sadly shook her head. "Sergeant Costamesa, the policeman who questioned Mom and me before, dropped in on us just yesterday. He thinks that the muggers were from out of town: gang members, maybe from Richmond or even the D.C. area, trying out a new fishing hole."

Alipang leaned in closer to Summer, lowering his voice: "Whenever the object--excuse me, the _subject_ of your family comes up, Mom always tells me just to pray for those robbers. But what I pray is that they'll be _caught_ before they hurt more honest people..."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Later, at home, Alipang and Chilena stayed up to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" on cable TV. Still getting over his evening out in the chilly weather, Alipang was warmed first by hot herbal tea, then by the embrace of Chilena, and by a huge quilt wrapped around both of them together. He bombarded his sister with questions about the movie, until she silenced him with a sudden smacking kiss right on the mouth, and said, "Quiet, Al! There'll be other times you can watch it again; Mom says they show it over and over in December. I'll explain more about it later; but try to enjoy it for now."

Alipang acquiesced, not wanting to antagonize his living warmer. He kept still, and enjoyed the scene where Clarence the angel pretended to be a mortal and in danger of drowning so that George Bailey would save him. But the alternate-reality segment baffled him, as he had never seen anything like it in his extremely limited cinema experience. At last, he fell asleep with his head on Chilena's shoulder; she, having used _his_ shoulder in the same way often enough, was content to cradle him there for the rest of the movie.

He still was _her_ brother, not Summer's. Chilena was confident that she would not be jealous when someday Alipang found a GIRLfriend-type girlfriend; that would be apples and oranges, not competing with brother-sister affection. But Summer's growing closeness to Alipang as a FRIEND-friend seemed like _more_ of a potential intrusion upon the comradeship of the siblings.

She went on silently holding Alipang after the movie ended, for almost another hour, before he woke up saying, "Did they catch that thief Mr. Potter?"

Eric Havens had built his new dental practice well in his first half-year in Smoky Lake, entering a partnership with the older dentist Luis Quintero. Luis had a daughter named Luisa, who soon came into the circle of acquaintance of Alipang and Chilena. Eric had also followed up on his interest in helping at the Free Clinic downtown. It was the latter arena of ministry--for so Eric had regarded his dental career, even before he had put it in the service of World Vision--that summoned him by telephone on Christmas Day, before the Havens family had even unwrapped all its gifts, to help a small immigrant girl who had had five teeth broken in a fall on concrete steps.

The boy determined to be the _next_ dentist in the Havens family accompanied his Dad so he could watch.

After studying the damage, Eric spoke to the child's mother in the only language she would admit to knowing, saying: "Senora Melendez, I can place a temporary cap on one of Lupita's broken upper teeth; but the other four are too deeply cracked to salvage without enormous labor and expense. I would still attempt it, except that your girl was very near to losing these baby teeth naturally anyway."

Judging by the abrasively indignant sound of the mother's torrential objections following this prognosis, Alipang was glad that he _didn't_ know Spanish. But the noisy woman had no alternative in the end. This place was the only free source of dental help; the child's ruined teeth had to be extracted, and they were, after which the salvageable one was capped. "Lupita's permanent teeth will begin filling those gaps within a month," Dr. Havens told Mrs. Melendez. "If the temporary cap starts to fail before this bicuspid falls out naturally, just have it pulled."

When all was done, Mrs. Melendez, her expensive nail job, her fancy shoes and her designer purse departed with Lupita; even Alipang could tell that not a word of thanks had been spoken. Everything about the woman screamed out a haughty sense of entitlement.

"Dad," asked Alipang--speaking in Tagalog even though patient and mother were already gone, "was that lady an illegal alien?"

"Yes, that _woman_ is an illegal alien," said Eric. "The only identification she could show was a Consular Matricula card; the Mexican government issues those, _knowing_ that they can't really be verified, so they're a fraud. Luis is no more pleased with the fraud than I am. That woman is here to take what she can get from this country, _never_ intending to give any loyalty in return. In a word, son, she is the exact _opposite_ kind of immigrant from you. She is a parasite, and enjoys being one; you are an honorable young man."

"But you helped her daughter for free anyway," observed the boy, his voice filled with genuine reverence for the father God had given him. "Is that because it isn't the little girl's fault what her parents do?"

"That's right, Al. But I would have given the _same_ help to the mother herself if she had been the patient. Our Savior said that God the Father is kind even to the ungrateful and the selfish. This kindness in God's heart is the _reason_ why He sent His Son to us as the baby in Bethlehem. There may be things that should be done about people stealing into this nation so they can steal _from_ it; but medical professionals, including dentists, aren't called to be the police. Our duty is to help anyone in need, to the limit of our ability."

Alipang's face was like that of a new squire avidly absorbing instruction from a knight. In English now, he said, "When I grow up, Dad, it will be MY duty too."

Father and son enjoyed a manly hug. Then they headed home to resume Christmas.

Last edited:
PART THREE: THE EDGE OF THE EDGE OF ADULTHOOD
(spring of 2005)

"Don't you know _anything,_ Al? Haven't Mom and I _both_ told you?"

Chilena's face was almost livid. She ranted on: "The _green_ towels all go in the _downstairs_ closet, because they go with the wallpaper color in the _bathroom_ downstairs. _Yellow_ towels in the upstairs closet! Why do you have to be so--"

The palm of an open brown hand suddenly appeared before Chilena's face like a traffic cop's hand signalling Stop. "Wait," said Alipang. "Let me guess. Is it 'be so lazy,' or 'be so stupid'? Got to think...I was putting the wood stain on _your_ new chair yesterday, so I must not have been lazy then. If I was stupid then...yes, today's an even-numbered day, so it's _today_ I must be lazy." This routine would once have been certain to set his sister laughing, but she didn't laugh now; and after two full days of her temper tantrums--which were direly hinted at as being something about girls growing up, though she had already been emotionally mercurial for as long as he'd known her--Alipang wasn't even trying to make her laugh anymore. Instead, he was setting up a punchline for his own satisfaction.

"Since I'm lazy today, you can put away towels yourself;" and he dropped a green towel over his sister's head like a hood with no eyeholes, then stalked downstairs to find Mom. Bent over a workbook, Mom was helping Melody copy words with a pencil. "Mom, Chilena is having more of the 'wonderful things' happen to her--you know, the things that make _nothing_ be her fault, and let her act any way she wants and never have to apologize for it!"

Cecilia Havens was caught, busted. She _had_ been giving all the slack to Chilena since the girl's increase in moodiness with adolescence had emerged into certainty; she _had_ been talking as if Chilena had NO responsibility to control her own temper, while Alipang bore ALL responsibility for magically knowing his sister's every next mood.

Cecilia was playing favorites, she realized, and she had been doing so for a long time. How to amend that?

Chilena was already fuming before Mom called her to the kitchen table. In her own mind, she had practically _created_ Alipang, making a halfway decent brother out of a failed imitation of Tarzan. Mom and Dad's achievements in civilizing the island orphan, and Al's own efforts, were conveniently and self-servingly suppressed in Chilena's memory. And now, after living the better part of a year in America, Al _still_ was neglecting _important_ things like color coordination in the bathrooms--places that would be _seen_ by guests and form the guests' opinion of the family!

Once arriving in the kitchen turned classroom turned courtroom, it only got worse. Mom _wasn't_ chewing out Al the way she was _supposed_ to for not deferring enough to his _older_ sister...

"Sit down, Chilena," Mom commanded. The girl took a seat as far as possible from her brother. Melody was directly in Mom's lap now, near tears but being lovingly reassured. "Young lady, do you remember what we discussed last week about what sets mankind apart as being made in God's image?"

"Yes, ma'am. Animals are fundamentally guided by instinct; but people are able to step _outside_ their feelings and impulses to see them for what they are." Suddenly Chilena had a horrible feeling that she knew where this was going.

"Tell me, Chilena: in the whole time since Alipang joined our family, apart from the three times _very_ early on when he struck at your father in a berserk rage--for which he then meekly begged forgiveness--have you known your brother _ever_ to hurt any member of this family physically on purpose?"

"No, ma'am."

"Do you care to tell me why that is? Al certainly has that fury somewhere inside him. He nearly _killed_ that boy who assaulted you in Seattle. Then there was the time he piled into four boys who were ganging up on his friend Jason; and just last month while we were in Shilohsville, he put real fear into those boys who harassed you in the parking lot. But he never hurts _anyone_ who hasn't given serious provocation, even if he has angry disagreements with them, and _absolutely_ never lifts a hand in anger against anyone in this household. Why do you suppose that is?"

Chilena wanted to see Al being smug now, so that she could resent him for tattling and getting Mom on his side; but he looked as if he felt as miserable about this whole business as she did. She turned her gaze back to Mom. "Because he _doesn't_ just live by instinct. Because he steps outside of his feelings and looks at them. Like a human being. And he _tells_ himself not to hurt us no matter what."

"Correct. And since you consider yourself older and wiser than your brother--even though you know he is pulling ahead of you in most academic subjects--is it too much to expect that you could _also_ step outside your emotions and see them for what they are?"

Last edited:
Chilena went into self-justification mode. "But, Mom, Al's disobeying _you_ when he ignores things like--"

"The towels?" Mom cut in. "Don't look surprised; you were shouting at your brother so loudly, _I'm_ surprised that Mrs. Capshaw hasn't come over from next door to investigate. But before you throw the word 'disobeying' around, think of the last time we had to detour back from a homeschool field trip because _you_ left something behind that you were supposed to bring. Did I accuse you of 'disobedience' then?"

Deflated now, Chilena lowered her eyes. "No, Mom, you didn't."

"And Al didn't act out of intentional defiance either when he mixed up the towels. I won't _order_ you to apologize to him right now, though you do owe him that, because there's more at stake here than an empty 'I'm sorry' that you're forced to say while not meaning it. Chilena, you need to learn that you can hurt people with words as surely as Al can hurt them with his fists. The key to _not_ hurting them is in _understanding_ what's inside you, and then taking authority over it.

"Long ago, it used to be that women were judged harshly, unfairly, in many ways; blamed for things beyond their control, and often assumed to be inferior. But already before you were born, the pendulum was swinging far in the opposite direction. By now, it's gone _too_ far here in America. Popular culture now tells women that _every_ emotional impulse of theirs is justified, simply because it's _their_ impulse; that they have no responsibility to master their feelings; that as long as it comes from a strong enough emotion, the most selfish action can be justified by waving around misleading excuses like 'freedom to choooooooooooooose.'

"But I expect better from you, Chilena. You're allowed to disagree with your brother, even to criticize him; but you are _not_ allowed to fight dirty, and then hide behind an excuse that you couldn't help it because of how you feel."

"Am I grounded?" the girl asked in a tiny, chastened voice.

"Not in the usual sense. But you are not to speak another word of _any_ kind to Al for the next twenty-four hours, unless the house is on fire. I want you to have time to _think_ about the way you have been treating a brother who loves you very much--so that the next time you DO speak to him, you will be thinking about _how_ you speak to him. Al, you also are not to speak to Chilena during this time, not because I blame you at all for the problem, but to leave her in peace to think about her behavior."

The decision of the court made class instruction a little awkward for the rest of the day; but it did have the effect of making Chilena think about her attempts to act superior to Al.

Back