Would You Want To Live In Narnia?

Lucy Fan

I don't mean heaven because we all would love to do that. :D I mean Narnia as in the world of talking animals and legendary/mythical animals. As long as there is no white witch taking over everything that's good I would. You'd still be a human of course but I don't know if you'd be a king or queen.

I would for sure. The world of humanity, in my opinion, has been very corrupted, the environment is being destroyed, animals are dying because of stupid human mistakes, etc. Maybe I'm just speaking for my own country of the United States.

Anyway, as an animal lover my belief is that animals have better hearts and bigger hearts than people. I know the animals would simulate humans in their own way but I feel like living in a world where animals are the main citizens wouldn't be bad at this point.

Last edited:
The tricky thing about Talking Beasts, though, is that they have free will in a sense that animals here don't, and can make a choice to go bad. I think that Narnia is presented as a generally less violent place than our world, but it has faced its share of bad situations. I think Lewis indicates that it generally had strong community relationships between the various creatures, which would certainly help support Narnians' mental and emotional health.

I think I've also heard people debate whether they would prefer to live in Narnia or Middle Earth. I seem to recall the consensus being that Narnians are likely to live longer!

Last edited:
Well, regarding Narnia, there were a number of different time periods to live in. Would you want to live in the beginning (first few hundred years), during the 100 year Winter, the Golden Age of the Pevensies, between the Golden Age and the invasion of the Tekmarines, during the reins of Caspian I-IX and Miraz, during the rein of Caspian X, or after that.

I would love to live in Narnia proper during the Golden Age, Archenland during any of that time, and the Lone Islands up to the time they were far more influenced by the Calormenes (during the slave trade).

Of course, there is also the many other lands in the Wood Between the Worlds.

As for the talking animals, we don't know how well they actually got along. The Pevensies, just as all of the other kinds and queens of Narnia, were there to ensure their protections as well as keep them peaceful. Why was Edmund given the title "The Just"? Could he have been dealing with disputes between the talking animals?

Also remember that Shift was a talking animal and helped to usher in the end of Narnia.

MrBob

You guys are right, about animals having free will. I feel like cats and dogs have free will though, especially if you are a cat owner like me. Cats will decide where they want to sleep and when they want your attention and they will demand when they want to be fed, etc. I agree though they really don't make choices which can be bad for others.

I'd personally want to live in the golden age as well. I had thought after the white witch's rein was over but then the telemarines invaded so that wouldn't work out.

The good times before the Witch took over would be cool also--with King Gale, Swanwhite, etc.

It occurs to me that the only book that mentions a Talking Cat is TLB, where Ginger is decidedly a bad character. (Who has plenty of free will, at least initially....) It would be interesting to see how cats with better character would relate to the other Narnians.

Yes, I would. I fell in love with it as soon as I read about it in the 4th grade.

The animal kingdom - I look at my cat and how she has a totally unique personality but she's innocent. It's a glimpse of what was and a dull reflection of what our Lord has in store for those who love Him.

Last edited:
Technically, lions are cats so there were at least two others in the series.

Another question related to this would be who would you want to be your king or queen regardless of when or where in Narnia you wanted to live?

MrBob

Living in the Golden Age would kind of stink in the sense that you would have about a dozen really incredible years, and then your leaders would mysteriously vanish.

I'm inclined to say King Gale or King Caspian for that reason.

Of course, there is also the many other lands in the Wood Between the Worlds.

The Wood Between the Worlds always fascinated me. Pieces of lore and mysteries that we know almost nothing about hold a huge amount of appeal to me for some strange reason. I'd love to have a couple of rings and just go world hoping.

I think I'd have to pick either the golden age (because childhood nostalgia) or sometime shortly after the world was created. I love the idea of exploring the world while it was all so new.

Back