The Hunger Games: Books/Movies

I have seen how actress Jennifer Lawrence deliberately and conspicuously flashed an obscene gesture on nationwide television. And she expects to be admired. Of course, the author of the Hunger Games _books_ is not responsible for this spoiled brat's crude action; but you may be sure that the brat _herself_ is never, ever going to get one cent of MY money -- not in any way, not for anything she may do in the future, ever, at all.

I have seen how actress Jennifer Lawrence deliberately and conspicuously flashed an obscene gesture on nationwide television. And she expects to be admired. Of course, the author of the Hunger Games _books_ is not responsible for this spoiled brat's crude action; but you may be sure that the brat _herself_ is never, ever going to get one cent of MY money -- not in any way, not for anything she may do in the future, ever, at all.
That's nice to know...I love Jennifer Lawrence because she hasn't let Hollywood mold her. She eats what she wants, she's honest and funny. She is who she is. And I admire that. Obscene gestures are not uncommon for people (any people) to make...anywhere. I haven't seen her do something like that. Jennifer is a woman who is herself. She isn't trying to be the perfect Hollywood actress. She's one of the most popular women on earth right now and she's handling that swell!

That's nice to know...I love Jennifer Lawrence because she hasn't let Hollywood mold her. She eats what she wants, she's honest and funny. She is who she is. And I admire that. Obscene gestures are not uncommon for people (any people) to make...anywhere. I haven't seen her do something like that. Jennifer is a woman who is herself. She isn't trying to be the perfect Hollywood actress. She's one of the most popular women on earth right now and she's handling that swell!

I agree. I don't admire Jennifer in one sense because she is rather vulgar and obscene, and frankly, that is 99.9% of Hollywood actors/actresses now. But, I do admire her for being her own person and not bowing down to the pressures of those around her in her business. It's one thing to be vulgar and obscene while being fake; another while you actually mean what you say. And to be perfectly honest, any person in Hollywood who actually is who you see on screen is not your typical A-list actor.

In other news, I'm insanely excited for Catching Fire. I've seen the trailer I don't know how many times, and I've re-read the books recently. Mockingjay still makes me sad, but makes me even MORE excited for the next 3 films! :D

I feel the same way about Mockingjay as you do. The books are so amazing! I've re-read them recently. I too can't wait for the Catching Fire movie. I just hope its done as well and faithful to the book like THG was. I love Jennifer Lawrence! She is truly an amazing actress, and down to earth.

I just finished reading the trilogy, although I confess I skipped over some parts because of the violence. (But I did that when I read War and Peace too.) As a result I don't really have a very good grasp of the plot of Mockingjay, and I don't expect I will be going to any HG films.

They did make me reflect, however, on some really important themes: friendship, family, taking a stand, protecting others, freedom, courage, truth, sacrifice... and more. The books also had a lot to say about handling loss, and dealing with depression and trauma.

"Youths as gladiators" makes a hideous plot platform. Yet against such a dark bleak backdrop love and mercy shine all the brighter.

I finally finished the series over the summer. I wanted to like it, but...I could not make myself like Katniss. She struck me as (and this is just my opinion, mind you) an unlikable, slightly sociopathic pawn. (I found movie-Katniss more sympathetic, due to the lack of cold and calculating inner monologue.) By Mockingjay, the whole message seemed to be "Capitol=evil. Fighting against Capitol=also evil. Humans=evil. DEATH IS THE ONLY OPTION."

*dodges hail of arrows from HG fans*

Okay, okay, maybe it's just not my kind of book. I get that the author was trying to show how terrible war is on both sides, and it is an interesting read, but by the end of the series I was feeling manipulated.

But if you're a fan, good for you, let's agree to disagree.:) I suspect my dislike is due to dystopia not being my usual genre.

I finally finished the series over the summer. I wanted to like it, but...I could not make myself like Katniss. She struck me as (and this is just my opinion, mind you) an unlikable, slightly sociopathic pawn. (I found movie-Katniss more sympathetic, due to the lack of cold and calculating inner monologue.) By Mockingjay, the whole message seemed to be "Capitol=evil. Fighting against Capitol=also evil. Humans=evil. DEATH IS THE ONLY OPTION."

*dodges hail of arrows from HG fans*

I disagree of course, but thank you for being honest and straightforward. :) In a sense, Katniss IS a pawn. She's manipulated by the Capitol, and I think she was manipulated by D13 and associated comrades into fighting on their side. But Katniss is also cold and calculating (in some ways) because that's how she and her family have survived. Of course, if it's a book you don't like, that's hard to see (I know from experience). I am kind of on your side here; I like the movie Katniss much more than the book Katniss, and although I've read all the books several times, I find that's because the movie lacks the inner monologue (ironically, that's one of my complaints against the film!). I attribute the likability of movie Katniss to Jennifer Lawrence. She's almost impossible NOT to like!

In other news: has anyone seen the new iTunes clip featuring Effie, Katniss, and Peeta? Love it!

Last edited:
I saw it and love it. I've been waiting all year for this to come out! You should see my Hunger Games Explorer account...and my house! LOL. My husband supports me. LOL. I love both the books and the movie. I love Jennifer Lawrence, Josh and all of the cast. It's such a perfect cast! One more week!!! :D I think I have that poster too! LOL The one I posted below....except it's still in the round tube...I want to frame it so I'm not taking it out until I have a frame and a place to put it.

Last edited:
I'd love to, but considering I have to work at 8 am the next day, and the nearest theater is 45 miles away, I can't. :( I'm planning to see it Friday night with my big sister. So excited! :D

So...I wish I could say I was posting a review, but I'm not. A winter storm blew through this morning and now I'm pretty much iced in for the weekend plus/minus Monday as well. :( That means I'll have to avoid this thread another few days while I wait to see the movie. Ugh. I hate it when stuff like this happens to plans!

Loved it!!!

It is EPIC, AWESOME, AMAZING,PERFECT! One of the best, if not THE best, book to movie adaption I have ever seen! Jen, Josh, Sam, Woody, Jena and the rest of the cast are amazing! They ARE the characters. There's no difference.

I hated that they didn't have the quote where Peeta said "My nightmares are about losing you." And some other stuff but it's still perfect!

Back