The Hunger Games: Books/Movies

amdd97

Has anyone here read The Hunger Games and enjoyed them? Does anyone know that they are making movies in 2013? This is the thread for all things about The Hunger Games, by Susanne Collins. I highly recommend them for anyone who has not read them.

"May the odds ever be in your favor"

Well, one of my nieces is reading that series. According to her, it's a post-apocalyptic really-icky-future-world kind of story. "Book of Eli" for young readers?

I thought I liked the series. But then i hit the third book. And it ruined EVERYTHING for me. I'll spare you my rant; it took up ten pages of my journal.

I'm not looking forward to the movies either. Reading graphic violence is one thing; watching it is another. In addition to that, there are sexual things in the books that I could handle reading but visually would be unacceptable.

I agree with Reepicheep. MockingJay was really disappointing. I loved the first one though, the second one wasn't as good. They might edit somethings out though. I hope they will for the 3rd one, I really didn't like Peeta in that one.

I absolutely love the first and second books. I haven't gotten around to reading the third one yet, but I'm excited to do so. I've heard mixed reactions about it... my sister hated it, my friend seemed undecided, and my mom said she liked it. I will be very, very angry if the end to the series is unsatisfying or stupid. I've fallen so in love with the first two installments that it's hard to even imagine how Suzanne Collins could have messed this one up.

As for the movies... I'm very skeptical of how they'll turn out. I have a very specific image in my head of what the characters and setting are like, and I will be very disappointed if the films don't live up to my expectations. I might scream if these movies do to the Hunger Games what the Twilight movies did to Stephenie Meyer's novels. =[

I have read all three books and will not likely be seeing the movies for reasons listed above. I read them since my teenage children were reading them, but certainly won't be taking them to see that degree of graphic violence on screen.

yes,every one is talking about the violence. I hope that they will edit some of it out.I'm looking forward to seeing Rue on screen.

I have really mixed feelings. There are parts of the books that I would love to see on screen, but I highly doubt I would watch the movies- even if it were just the first two.

I enjoyed reading the series in a way--the high-energy plot kept me interested--but I probably won't re-read the series. For one thing, Katniss is really a fairly unlikable main character in a lot of ways. The violence can also get pretty extreme, especially in the last book, where I felt as if I was almost being told "only those with the capacity for brutality survive, unless they happen to be Peeta." Great plot, but good often doesn't seem as if it's even an option for the characters.

I enjoyed reading the series in a way--the high-energy plot kept me interested--but I probably won't re-read the series. For one thing, Katniss is really a fairly unlikable main character in a lot of ways. The violence can also get pretty extreme, especially in the last book, where I felt as if I was almost being told "only those with the capacity for brutality survive, unless they happen to be Peeta." Great plot, but good often doesn't seem as if it's even an option for the characters.
My feelings exactly. There are so many things like this throughout the book that I never even noticed until after the initial excitement of the book had faded. And then I felt cheated.

I was disappointed with the way Gale went bad, too. I suppose having him possibly cause "you know" might be an easy way of clearing things out for Peeta, but I was still disappointed. I think that Collins does a better job fleshing out Gale's character than she does Peeta's; as largely as he figures in the story, Collins never really seems to get inside of him.

I was disappointed with the way Gale went bad, too. I suppose having him possibly cause "you know" might be an easy way of clearing things out for Peeta, but I was still disappointed. I think that Collins does a better job fleshing out Gale's character than she does Peeta's; as largely as he figures in the story, Collins never really seems to get inside of him.
Same here! I liked Gale so much in the first two books! But in the end... he disgusted me. :(

I don't think Peeta was very well fleshed out. :( I liked Gale so much more before he went bad.

OMG!! MOST OF YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY (with a capital "everything)!!

i loved the series and consider it to be the best book series ive read. the hunger games is a great opening book; i couldnt put it down. catching fire is incredible!! its got everything you could want from a book: action, drama, romance, and a great plot. i was expecting a lot from mockingjay, i was a bit dissapointed at first . . . with peeta's story and katniss' handling of it, but then it really grew on me, and gale got a chance to really shine for the first time in the series. come to the ending, ive heard a lot of people say they were really dissapointed in the ending but i loved it. its like saying "nothing can ever be the same, we cant go back to once was, because too much has been destroyed; weve been too destroyed to go back. but we can get up, and eventually well get to a place where we can bare all thats happened." and that to me is more realistic than anything ive ever read..the truth is how can you go on after going thru everything all the lead characters went thru? idk if you really can.

about the films, i was the first person to say "I DO NOT WANT THESE BOOKS TO BE MADE INTO FILMS!!" but now that they decided to go ahead with it, im really interested in how they come out. i want the three main stars (kat, peeta, and gale) to be "nobodys" im really interested in who theyre going to get to play the incredible finnick odair.

so..? id love to have a full blown discussion, so people reply to this "reply"

Last edited:
Please don't spoil it for me! I'm just reading Catching Fire right now... just finished The Hunger Games in a record 9 hours.... yes, this included breaks. I love it so far!

The part of katniss is here!

Katniss- Jennifer Lawrence
Jennifer-Lawrence-cast-in-The-Hunger-Games.jpg

I really wanted the girl from True Grit to play her(the name escapes me)

Back