Freud's Last Session

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
Mark St. Germain imagined what it would have been like if, in 1939 London, the dying, atheistic Jewish Sigmund Freud had faced off with the novelist, scholar and apologist C.S. Lewis on God/the meaning of life and more. The result? Freud's Last Session, a deep talking-heads drama that is now playing in San Diego. It had a two year off-Broadway run -- and I just bought tix for my husband and I to go see it in a couple of weeks.

Have any of you seen it? What did you think of it?
I'll let you know how we like it in June.

That sounds like something Peter Kreeft would write. It also reminds me of a public-TV program Carol and I saw not long after we got married. This program contrasted the lives and thought of the wise man and the overrated idiot.

Freud's is a masterful distillation of Lewis' arguments on the existence of God, suffering, logical fallacies of atheism and more. I am not really up on Freud and his biography and writings, but I would guess his dialogue and biographical details would be as carefully researched and synthesized as the treatment given Lewis. In any case it is a fascinating confrontation between Christian and Atheist worldviews.

Warning: This is a talking heads play and the dialogue flows pretty fast, so get plenty of rest beforehand and don't eat a huge meal right before the performance starts so you can stay alert all the way through.

LOL! It sounds so good! I wish I could see it! I looked on the internet, and no one is performing it around here at all ... :(

Back