European football cup!/Congratulations Nederlandse!

I am still pulling for the Netherlands, but I was kinda glad to see Russia won one yesterday. There was a little Russian boy at the resort where we were staying, and I had promised him to cheer for Russia -- in that game, anyway.

Come on Doffen!!! The time Spain was great is over. I didn't think they were playing like fire. I won't say Holland is going to win but I will not dare to say they aren't. Everybody thought Italy would smack Holland down. Owww....France will do it for sure. But neither of them smacked them down. I dare to say Portugal will not smack them down so easily. I won't be surprised if they (Portugal) will win after penalties time. But now you sound like "Happy for you but the party is over".............I used to think the same and I hoped the same because I hate football but it all went differently. And what if Portugal win? I'm not going to cry.

If Netherlands meets Spain or Portugal, Netherlands will get smacked down, bigtime.

Holland has been great this championship, but so has Spain and Portugal. And Spain houses the leading best players of the world.

Ronaldo vs Nistelroy? Clear victory to the portoguese, I'd say.

Germany isn't going to win this year. They miss their best player (His first name starts with a O and his last name with a K)

don't be so sure. we've got quite a few good players as well, maybe not perfect, but we've got team work. for real.

I do agree that our teamwork is very good. And we do have Arjen Robben who managed to score a very good goal last game, and van Persie, quick and fabulous:p

But we'll see, i'm not saying that we will actually beat Spain and/or Portugal, but i'm not saying it's impossible either. We'll just see.

Come on Doffen!!! The time Spain was great is over. I didn't think they were playing like fire. I won't say Holland is going to win but I will not dare to say they aren't. Everybody thought Italy would smack Holland down. Owww....France will do it for sure. But neither of them smacked them down. I dare to say Portugal will not smack them down so easily. I won't be surprised if they (Portugal) will win after penalties time. But now you sound like "Happy for you but the party is over".............I used to think the same and I hoped the same because I hate football but it all went differently. And what if Portugal win? I'm not going to cry.
??? Van, Do you like soccer or not AND do you no much about it or not.???:D
But indeed I would hate it if famous dutchmans would lose because of the penalties. We have lost so much because of it :(. And I don't know what to think about soccer anymore too.
Anyways: Kuyt is great. Kuyt is from Katwijk!!! Cool! Kuyt Kuyt Kuyt.
Lol and that reporter (dutchies) he was talking like this: "Kuyt a real Fisherman son from Katwijk makes a great goal." Or something like that. Kuyt managed to let the name Katwijk be called out loud on the Dutch television. So :cool:!!!!

I do agree that our teamwork is very good. And we do have Arjen Robben who managed to score a very good goal last game, and van Persie, quick and fabulous

But we'll see, i'm not saying that we will actually beat Spain and/or Portugal, but i'm not saying it's impossible either. We'll just see.
I agree. nothing is impossible. Even Switserland could have won this cup. At a low chance apparently :(. I love Switserland. I missed all the matches thoug. Too bad.

No, I don't love football but I do know much about it. It's on the news all the time so I can't miss it and once upon a time I used to love football. 20 years ago I was one of the happy people who watched the 1988 EC in which we became the champion. Back then people also thought we would be sent home very early.
The goal against Ireland was a lucky one by wim kieft but we deserved to win like everybody else.

"The time Spain was great is over"; Vanessa, there has never been a better Spanish squad then now. May I remind you that both Italy and France has lost some of their greatest players through the years and has had difficult time to replace them (especially Italy). What could've happened if France unleashed the beast called Sidan on you? Lucky for everyone, Sidan doesn't play anymore (Or helse he would've headbutted you, literally ;) )

Netherlands DOES have a excellent team this year. The team cooperates perfectly and they have the team spirit that my country lacks. Though Netherlands lacks something that Spain has plenty of, and that's induviduals like Torress, Alonso, Villa, Casillas and Reina. I cannot say with a 100% certainty that Holland will lose, but I'd say you guys have the odds against you. You have the teamspirit, now, do you have the skills and technique to take on the best players in the world..?

Players come and go. The same can be said about our team. What if we still had the players who quit? It is only if, if and if you know. There is a time when even great teams failed and to be honest...what has Spain done the last couple of important tournaments? They have not done much. During tournaments like this you'll see surprises and I'm not going to say we are going to win but I won't dare to say we are thrown out against Spain or Portugal. At Spain I think we might stand a chance. Portugal will be difficult.

Anyway...I'm not going to watch it and I will hear it myself when the crowd cheers or when they don't. First it is going to be important for both France and Italy. Will one of them survive or is Rumania going to be the lucky one to qualify for the next round?

I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see ;)

50% of the fun I get from football is researching and analyzing. I love to be right when it comes to analyzing matches ^^

Moreover, Football is a team sport. You won't win with individuals. Individuals are good, but their ego's can keep them from winning. Five great players, is great, but if the other six are bad, you'll lose (I think). If a team wins it is not only about Torress, Alonso, Villa, Casillas and Reina, it is also about the other players.

Example: Without the other players Kuyt (lol there's the name again :p) wouldn't heve been able the headbut (is that the english word) the ball into the goal. And without van der Sar and our defenders we would have made 4 goals, but France would have been free to make 10 goals against us. A great individual player is nothing without at least a medium team.

Question is: Is Spains team good, and apparently it is. Too bad :(

BTW: I know Kuyt isn't one of the greatest (among the internationals) but it's the best example I could think of.

Bye.

-Hey I'm an expert too. :D
*NO I'M NOT! I JUST LIKE TO TALK A LOT ABOUT THINGS I CAN ONLY GUESS ABOUT!!!

Lol schizofrenia. DO you know it?

Moreover, Football is a team sport. You won't win with individuals. Individuals are good, but their ego's can keep them from winning. Five great players, is great, but if the other six are bad, you'll lose (I think). If a team wins it is not only about Torress, Alonso, Villa, Casillas and Reina, it is also about the other players.

Example: Without the other players Kuyt (lol there's the name again :p) wouldn't heve been able the headbut (is that the english word) the ball into the goal. And without van der Sar and our defenders we would have made 4 goals, but France would have been free to make 10 goals against us. A great individual player is nothing without at least a medium team.

It's the combination of the induviduals that should be interesting. Of course a player can't ego themselves through a whole match (Oh well, they can, Ronaldo being the perfect example, but anyway ...)

With midfielders and attackers that Spain has (Who're all world class players, playing for the best clubs possible), and the cooperation that they deliever on the field, they're a really tough nut to crack. The Spanish players are also quicker and more technical then the Dutch players.

I want the Holland team to win, I really do. But they need a tad bit of luck to do it against such strong teams they're facing.

I was impressed to see that just based on the standings (win loss and goal differential), Netherlands is doing the best so far! That's impressive, and they seem to be in a very tough group don't they?

But does anyone else want to see them draw or lose to Romania just so France and Italy could both be eliminated? :rolleyes: The Netherlands lose nothing by doing so (they will still win their group even if they lose to Romania) and they would eliminate Italy and France in the process.

Doffen, is Spain supposed to be the favourite this year? I can't even remember how they did in the last world cup, do you recall how they finished?

Yah, it's pretty sure Netherlands will not use their first string or try too hard in their match with Romania, so I am with you, Tim. It won't matter if they lose or draw, but it will eliminate some teams we would like to see out!

:)

I was impressed to see that just based on the standings (win loss and goal differential), Netherlands is doing the best so far! That's impressive, and they seem to be in a very tough group don't they?

I was seriously amazed when Holland took out Italy. That was fun. And of course they're a rough bunch.. You have to if you're living under the sea level :eek:

But does anyone else want to see them draw or lose to Romania just so France and Italy could both be eliminated? :rolleyes: The Netherlands lose nothing by doing so (they will still win their group even if they lose to Romania) and they would eliminate Italy and France in the process.

Yes! I hope this championship to be different. Therefor I want both France and Italy to be eliminated.

Doffen, is Spain supposed to be the favourite this year? I can't even remember how they did in the last world cup, do you recall how they finished?

No.. Italy was. I think most football experts is going for Portugal or Holland. I'll say Spain. Italy won the last world cup, Spain got to the quarter finals.

ballack scored!!! yeaaaaaaaah!!!

(finally, though, it's been a very boring game)

Germany was lucky the first 45 minutes. Right now Germany is dominating though.

This hasn't been a boring game at all! The judge just gave BOTH of the trainers a red card, which I've never seen before :p ... plus both countries are playing extrordinary well.

Last edited:
well i'd rather one of them played badly then something would be happening...

... What's interesting in seeing a team just stomping on another team?

and the thing about the trainers... why did he do that??? i don't get that... funny, though ^^

The trainers started to argue. The German trainer got *** of and went over the line (which he's not allowed to), then the other trainer got *** and then the judge got ***... And then everyone was just *** and saw red.

oh, and offside...

Atleast he's blewing his flute against Germany, something he didn't do in the first 45 minutes.

the judge is blowing his whistle whenever he can on the other team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was seriously amazed when Holland took out Italy. That was fun. And of course they're a rough bunch.. You have to if you're living under the sea level
Not that we notice anything of living under the sea level, but what does it matter anyway :rolleyes:

Marco van Basten (the coach) said that he wants to win from Rumania, just because he thinks you have to take every game seriously. He isn't likely going to send the players with yellow cards on the field, though, which is of course understandable. Maybe some players get some rest, but i think the team will still fight hard :)

Germany Austria is very interesting so far...

I'm sorry, MF, but i do think that Portugal will beat Germany in the next round. They're not playing all that well. But we'll see...

Ah, yah, that word Doffen was using innocently is a word some folks think is a cuss word, so I edited.

OK, I still would like to see Romania win or draw with Holland and knock out France. I am sorry to hear their coach takes every game seriously. Tee-hee.

Back