Quote Thread

"The others all voted for going on in the hopes of finding land. I felt it my duty to point out that we didn't know there was any land ahead and tried to get them to see the dangers of wishful thinking. Instead of producing a better plan they had the cheek to ask me what I proposed. So I just explained coolly and quietly that I had been kidnapped and brought away on this idiotic voyage without my consent and it was hardly my business to get them out of their scrape"
- Eustace Clarence Scrubb

Perspectives of a wonderful journey from sourpuss. This to me is a warning against grumbling and complaining. His journal entries made me laugh, that's why I enjoyed them so much.

LOL! I thought so, too -- Eustace's journal just pointed up what a twit he was! Sometimes I wonder, if someone reads my journal a hundred years from now, if they will think what a twit I must have been! :p

Eustace's journal reminds me of listening to certain "intellectuals" talk about how rediculous the concept of faith and God is. It shows us all how miserable this outlook can be, also how miserable we can be when we start to complain as well.

When you want to be typicaly english, you pretend to be very hospitable and honest, and hearty. When you want to be typicaly irish, you pretend to be very witty and dashing and fanciful... But the typical Scotch attitude consists not in being loud or quiet, or merry or sad, but in just being, SCOTCH.
sorry if this is unacceptable to other people but C.S. Lewis said it, not me, and I am particularly partial to scotch people mostly cus I am one.

I like it, Tarkheena.

I was not aware that "Scotch" applied to people, I thought it was only a drink. I thought the proper adjective was "Scottish," but if Lewis said it, it must be right.

you're right there Inkspot

Scotch is a drink, and also mist - as in 'Scotch Mist' something which does not exist

also hopscotch - a chidren's playground game
i think 'scotch' also has some meaning to do with marking in games, not sure

butterscotch is a caramalised sugar and butter mixture, making a hard boiled sweet

the Scots do not like being referred to as the Scotch any more than Americans like being called Yanks, Brits Pommies or Limeys - not pc

nor is reffering to them as 'the Scottish' - it is strictly an adjective

btw a 'Scottische' (spelling?) is a dance as well

tumnus

edit:

it seems likely that the giants in con indicate the Scots, ie tall people living in the north

Last edited:
I have many Fav. Quites but one of my all time Favs. Is this....

But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.-Aslan

Favorite Quotes

Hi Everyone!
This is my first time posting but I would like to ask a question:

What is your favorite Narnia quote?

Thanks!
Narnian :)

Favorite quotes from the novel...

“‘You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,’ said Aslan. ‘And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth.’“

“‘I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t any Aslan to lead it. I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.’
-Puddleglum”

And my favorite passage from the novel is Jill's Encounter with Aslan in TSC...

“Are you not thirsty?” said the lion.
“I’m dying of thirst,” said Jill.
“Then drink,” said the lion.
“May I – could I – would you mind going away while I do?” said Jill.
The Lion answered this only by a look and a very low growl. And as Jill gazed at its motionless bulk, she realized that she might as well have asked the whole mountain to move aside for her convenience.
The delicious rippling noise of the stream was driving her nearly frantic.
“Will you promise not to – do anything to me, if I do come?” said Jill.
“I make no promise,” said the Lion.
Jill was so thirsty now that, without noticing it, she had come a step nearer.
“Do you eat girls?” she said.
“I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms,” said the Lion. It didn’t say this as if it were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it.
“I daren’t come and drink,” said Jill
“Then you will die of thirst,” said the Lion.
“Oh dear!” said Jill, coming another step nearer. “I suppose I must go and look for another stream then.”
“There is no other stream,” said the Lion.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but one of mine is this:

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you." --Mr. Beaver the the Pevensie Children, LWW

Oh so many quotes but so little time!!! I will have to really think this one out and get back to you.

By the way, welcome to the site!!!

I like to keep a note-book that has ideas/questions and favorite quotes. Whenever I'm re-reading one of the books I keep it close by so I can write any thing that comes to me/stands out to me down. Here are a few of my favorites:
"It was all Edmund's doing, Aslan," Peter was saying. "We'd have been beaten if it hadn't been for him. The Witch was turning our troops into stone right and left. But nothing would stop him. He fought his way through three ogres to where she was just turning one of you leopards into a statue. And when he reached her he had to sense to bring his sword smashing down on her wand instead of trying to go for her directly and simply getting made a statue for his pains."

"Once a King or Queen in Narnia, always a King or Queen."

Mr. Beaver: Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight. At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more. When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death. And when he shakes his mane, it will be spring again. (LWW)

-----------------------------------------------
Puddleglum: Suppose... suppose we have only dreamed and made up these things like sun, sky, stars, and moon, and Aslan himself. In that case, it seems to me that the made-up things are a good deal better than the real ones. And if this black pits of a kingdom is the best you can make, then it's a poor world. And we four can make a dream world to lick your real one hollow.
Green Lady: How dare you threaten me!
Puddleglum: As for me, I shall live like a Narnian even if there isn't any Narnia. So thank you very much for supper. We're going to leave your court at once and make our way across your great darkness to search for our land above! (the Silverchair)

--------------------------------------------------
Susan:"ooh"
:"I'd thougth he was a man. Is he--quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about
meeting a lion."

Mrs. Beaver: "That you will, dearie, and no mistake,"
: "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking,
they're either braver than most or else silly."
Lucy: Is he... safe?
Mr. Beaver: Safe? Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Of course he isn't safe... but... he's GOOD... He's the King. (LWW)

Puddleglum: I know these expeditions usually 'end' that way: knifing one another, I shouldn't wonder before it's all done.
Puddleglum: I once knew a little girl... But I better not tell that story. It might lower your spirits and that's a thing I'd never do.
And I like the Professor quotes in my signature

Back