The Lord of the Rings- J.R.R. Tolkien

I like LOTR, but not nearly as much as I love Narnia. I've only read LOTR once. I plan to read them again. However, I've read CoN probably around 5 times each...maybe only 3 or 4 on some of them.

I, also, love Middle Earth, though Narnia was my first love. I've read the Lord of the Rings several dozen times, though The Hobbit only three or four. I've even had papers on the trilogy published!

I like LOTR I'm a big fan. I actually got into Lord of the Rings because a theatre teacher I had new I liked the Narnia stuff and told be that "the guys who wrote The Chronicles of Narnia was tutored by the guy who wrote The Lord of the Rings"Welcome to the board Peter.

I'm a big fan of Lotr also. I've read the trilogy once and The Hobbit once, and now I'm trying to read the Silmarillion(sp?). Welcome by the way... :D

Hello, I'm a HUGE fan of Lord of the Rings too! I have 3 shelves of books and dvds on Lord of the Rings! I have read the trilogy lots of times and i have read all the other books as well such as Unfinished Tales and the Silmarillion! Lord of the Rings is my first love but Chronicles of Narnia is my second favourite and i love it so much! I think my family think i'm a little strange..my sister likes shopping and my brother likes sports and well, i'm...just abit of a bookworm really! It was nice meeting all you Rings/Narnia fans!

Gondor Knight of Narnia said:
The Silmarillion is kinda hard to follow....i don't recommend reading it late @ night :D

As I advise my children: if you like Bulfinch's Mythology, you'll love The Silmarillion!

My wife, who's an avid reader and Tolkien fan, found The Sil so hard that she just stopped. Later she was reading an article on how they guage "reading level" (as in, "3rd Grade Reading Level", etc.) One of the criteria was word count in sentences. Turns out a high school reading level book will have betwen 15 and 30 words in it. Out of curiosity, she opened The Sil and started counting. She found several sentences with over 100 words! No wonder it's tough going!

yes, the Silmarillion was very very hard to follow. i had to go through it at a snail pace and it makes your brain hurt! lol

Hey! I love the Narnia and the lotr books equally :) I read them both every year hehe :D
and I love the Silmarillion. The first time I read it I was 15, and I thought there were too many names. Now, it's one of my favourite books of all time

I count myself as one of the few Tolkien fans who read the Silmarillian before reading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I love it, the history and mythology is so deep.

I am a certified Tolkien geek.

well this is quite a turn out glad to know im with friends i my self have read the lotr series 10 times and the hobbit at least 5 :)

From the ashes a fire shall be woken

A light from the shadows shall spring

Renewed shall be blade that was broken

The crownless again shall be king

I'm bigger into Tolkien than Lewis, but this site is bringing me back to Lewis a bit. I wonder if we might have a place to talk about the Space Trilogy around here? Anyway, I've read The Hobbit oh about four times, LotR five times, the Sil twice (tried a 3rd but couldn't hold on), the Unfinished Tales twice; scanned many of the Christopher Tolkien volumes, my favorite of all that stuff is The Lays of Beleriand. I've been a member ofThe Barrowdowns since 2001, which is a really good Tolkien dedicated site, based on the same structure and format as this site, which I like a lot too.

Back