Attention-Deficit Roleplaying

In the aviary section of the zoo, an owl suddenly spoke to Myrddin: "Myrddin! Over here! You won't recognize me, but in another reality I was the companion of a different version of you! My name is Archimedes."

Myrddin's eyes widened, not because an owl was speaking to him (he was quite accustomed to talking animals, as he even understood their own speech), but because there actually was some very vague sense of recognition somewhere in his brain, which caused him to think of a certain word: "wart". "Archimedes!" He cried, "how did you end up here?! And are you happy in this zoo? Most of the birds here seem to be."

"That's because this aviary has adequate space for all of us to fly around some," replied Archimedes, who came from T.H. White's Arthurian cycle. "And none of these others is magical. As for myself, I've avoided letting the zoo management know I can speak, as a precaution; but I am growing weary of being here. The way I came here was by some kind of cosmic something-or-other, involving a man who seemed to be trying to repair an enormous blue box."

"Well then what are we waiting for?" Myrddin walked into the aviary (it was one of those zoos where they have a series of doors so you can go in without birds escaping), and discreetly said to Archimedes, "Perch on my shoulder."

Myrddin carefully exited the aviary with Archimedes. His brown tunic looked superficially similar to a zookeeper's uniform from behind, so he carefully made his way toward the secret staff exit of the zoo.

A little boy who had just lately been introduced to anime films, and who still didn't know very much about them, saw Myrddin with Archimedes and exclaimed, "Is that OWL'S Moving Castle?"

Copperfox was then struck by lightning for posting such a bad pun, and was dead until the next post.

"But it wasn't me!" Thor protested. "I just came by to investigate. The cloud that the bolt came from had something solid inside it, and I could have sworn I heard a sort of buzzing voice crying 'Exterminate!' from inside the solid mass."

Meanwhile, in the Netherworld of the Force, various dead Jedi and Sith were discussing philosophy.

"One, all things are in the Force," said Grand-Master Yoda.

"I would have to disagree, Master," said Master Qui-Gon Jinn. "Merely the fact that we are here individually discussing the Force and disagreeing with each other proves that we are not all one."

"The Dark Side is all I have," chanted Galen 'Starkiller' Marek, Darth Vader's unfortunate secret apprentice.

"Foolish boy," Count Dooku, also known as Darth Tyranus, scoffed. "There is no Dark or Light side to the Force. There are merely the weak, who allow the Force to control them, and the strong, who control the Force."

"Yet it was the Jedi Luke Skywalker, allowing the Force to flow through him, who finally defeated Palpatine and brought Vader back to the Light," Qui-Gon informed his former master.

"I find all of this talk of Dark and Light to be foolishness," an Aing-Tii monk said in a peculiar form of sign language. "The Force is a rainbow, with many shades, and can be used for good or ill."

"The Aing-Tii is right," said a Grey Jedi. "Not about the rainbow thing. About the Light and Dark. Everything is grey. There is no good or evil."

The Grey Jedi was immediately set upon for his obvious foolishness.

"I wonder why Grey Jedi are so popular with the fandom," Anakin Skywalker said, scratching the back of his head. "Well, at least I get to spend time with Padme here."

"I've gotten smarter myself since arriving in eternity," remarked Padme. "Meaning no offense to Yoda, all of that babble about not desiring anything or loving anyone is nonsense. You, Anakin, were NOT wrong to wish to prevent me from dying; you went wrong by falsely blaming the Jedi for supposedly holding you back, and by a willingness to harm INNOCENT people in pursuit of your goals. I sure am glad you got redeemed; but even here, I think it's better to understand how you went wrong."

Aboard the still active SS Derelict, drummer boy Pipin was walking around twirling two drum sticks one to each hand simultaneously, sometimes in the same direction and sometimes in opposite twirls. It was a skills he had learned since he was a wee lad back in the Shire.

Tom Bombadil, in response, would have demonstrated that he could walk and chew gum at the same time; but then he remembered that chewing gum was not yet invented in Middle-Earth.

Back