The Lion's Share -The first days of the Narnian lions

timbalionguy

This is a new story set in the very earliest time of Narnia. In fact, it begins just hours after the talking beasts were created. This story will explain the origins of all of the great cats that can be found in Narnia. In the early days, these noble animals did much to strengthen and stabilize Narnia. But as time passes, problems develop that leads to a terrible battle.

Copperfox's 'Southward the Tigers' is an offshoot of the events told in this story, and the two stories run parallel for much of the time. You will see references here to events taking place in that story, and vice versa. Indeed, I have been working closely with Copperfox to assure that these two stories taken together are a 'reliable' history of the talking lions and tigers of Narnia.

'Hooks' have been written into this story for future adventures-- written by me or interested others-- of other great cat species. And, there will be an all-new fantastical cat introduced into Narnia, who has never been mentioned elsewhere because it's theater of action is in the far north.

Last, but not least-- being a big cat keeper myself, and an enthusiast of animal life in general, I hope to throw in some tidbits of natural history as well. And being a follower of 'the Great Lion', there will be some challenges to 'follow the Lion' in this story!

Without further ado, here we go!

The Lion's Share – the First Days of the Narnian Lions

It was still the dawn of creation in Narnia. The creation song of Aslan, the Great Lion still hung heavily in the fresh, new air of the world. All of the animals had just been created. And of these animals, Aslan had selected certain ones, and given them the gift of intelligence and speech.

Other matters had intervened during the creation of Narnia. Most notably, four humans, a horse and one powerful witch had been somehow brought into this new world by magic. But as Aslan sees it, nothing happens by mistake. Much evil would eventually come into this new world by the cruel hand of the witch. But, much good would come by the hand of most of the humans. In fact, one of them, a Cabbie from Earth's early 1900's London named Frank, was to be the first king of Narnia. Aslan had seen to it that his wife, Helen was then called into this world to be its first Queen.

Among the humans present for the creation of Narnia were two children. Because it was they who were responsible for humans being in Narnia at all, they were given a special mission to help stave off the evil that would one day overwhelm Narnia. These children, named Digory and Polly, had been sent off to gather a magic apple on the back of the Cabbie's horse. This horse, once a dumb horse like the ones on Earth, was first transformed into a talking horse, and then into a flying horse. It had been given the name of Fledge, and was the father of all flying horses in Narnia. While the children were off to the far west on their mission, the remaining human, a miserable excuse of a professor named Andrew, was cowering from all of the animals and strange beasts suddenly present all around him.

It is during this lull, not more than an hour or two after the talking animals were created, while the children were off on their mission, that our story begins.

Last edited:
Aslan had already told King Frank and Queen Helen that they had been given the task of naming the animals. However, Aslan also told them that not all the animals had to be named.

“Walk in and among the talking animals I have created, and help them find names. You will give names to some of the animals, but by no means all of them. To these whom you do not name, I have given them the wherewithal to name themselves.” Aslan was saying this as He led Frank and Helen into the midst of the sea of animal life that was still milling around the Great Lion.

With Aslan kind of leading them but not really suggesting who they should talk to, Frank and Helen came first to the talking whitetail deer and his mate. Frank was intrigued by the beautiful rack of antlers this Patriarch of the whitetails possessed. To this buck deer, he said, “You have a beautiful rack of antlers; shall you not henceforth be known as 'Branchpoint'?” The buck bowed before his King and said, 'Thank you Sire, I am greatly honored. I will indeed adopt the name 'Branchpoint'.” Meanwhile, Helen was looking at the Matriarch whitetail deer, also called a doe. Her coat was a beautiful brown, lit by flecks of light coming through the tree that was shadowing them. “How would you like to be called 'Dapplesatin', my dear?” asked Helen. With a curtsy, the doe answered, “A highly suitable name. I will adopt it!”

Next, Frank and Helen happened on another member of the Cervid family, the Patriarch elk and his mate. Aslan knowing that Frank would not recognize this species because they were from another continent, He said to Frank, “This animal is called an Elk.” Frank asked the Patriarch elk what he planned to do with the rest of his first day. His reply was “When Aslan gives us leave, I plan to run into the nearest mountain valley, and listen to my bellow echo off the mountains.” Frank asked the elk, “What does your voice sound like?” The elk gave a magnificent bellow, which startled a few of the nearby animals. “How would you like to be called 'Lungtrumpet', elk?” asked Frank. “I would be honored to have that name.” replied the elk. “Then Lungtrumpet it shall be!” cried the king, as if making a proclamation. Then turning to Helen, Frank said to her, “What do you propose for a name for Lungtrumpet's mate?” Helen then asked Lungtrumpet, “What was the very first thing you noticed about your mate?” Lungtrumpet replied “The beautiful daintiness of her walking. It was as if she could step on a flower and not harm it.” “In which case, would the name 'Petalstep' suit you, dear?” asked Helen of the elk Matriarch. “It would most definitely suit me, Queen Helen.” said Petalstep in a beautiful but nontheless 'elky' voice.

Last edited:
And so the pattern continued. As Frank and Helen followed the meandering Aslan, they encountered many animals to which they would suggest names. Frank would usually suggest the Patriarch's name, and Helen would suggest the Matriarch's. Not one animal, except a smart-alecky rabbit, turned down their suggestions. In the end though, the rabbit had to settle for the name 'Funnyears'. His mate wouldn't let him turn it down!

Eventually, Frank and Helen came upon some of the great cats. The first of these was a pair of cheetahs. The cheetah Patriarch was a handsome, muscular fellow that reminded Frank of an Olympic athlete. Thus, the Patriarch received the name 'Springpaw', and his lithe mate, 'Fleetfoot'.

The next cats they met were the tigers. Frank, being an avid fan of poetry remembered William Blake's famous poem, 'The Tyger'. The first stanza of this poem reads,

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Thus the tiger Patriarch came to be known as 'Brightburn'. While King Frank was explaining the poem to to Brightburn, the tiger Matriarch decided she needed to stretch out. She went over to a nearby tree. Putting her forepaws high up on the trunk, she dug in her claws, and proceeded to stretch out her powerful muscles. Helen noticed that her claws, though sharp and deadly, were also slim and petite for such a massive animal. (The claws are actually oval in cross section, and therefore appear slim when viewed in the right direction.) “You have such beautiful claws. Would the name 'Slimtalon' suit you?” Asked Helen. “Slimtalon is a fine name, I will accept it.” replied the tiger matriarch.

The last animals to be assigned names by Frank and Helen were the gryphons. Gryphons are fantastical beasts, one of very many kinds in Narnia. Gryphons have the body of a lion, transitioning into an eagle for the shoulders and heads. They have large wings to carry their heavy bodies, plus a substantial additional load. Their leoine tail tassel is much larger than that of a lion, and acts as a highly maneuverable control surface in flight. Like many other beasts in Narina, gryphons are voracious predators. But, they are also noble and very wise. Their leoine bodies and powerful wings allow them to do maneuvers that no bird could ever possibly do. The gryphons put on an impressive aerial demonstration for their King and Queen. Thus, the Patriarch gained the name 'Vortex' and the Matriarch 'Whirlwind'.

After about two hours of animal naming, a wide variety of animals, from shrews to elephants had been given names by King Frank and Queen Helen. But there were an equally large number of animals who did not receive names from the King and Queen. These animals chose phonetic names that pleased themselves. Some of these animals based their names on sounds that they made. Others simply found a combination of syllables that had a nice sound to them. Among these were the lion Patriarch and Matriarch. They called themselves 'Zetow' and 'Zavax', respectively. Indeed, somehow fascinated by the sound of 'Z', many lions would go on to have Z as the first consonant in their name.

As a general rule, the Patriarch of any species was formally addressed as Lord <name> and the Matriarch, Lady <name>.

Last edited:
I claim the honor of the first comment!

This is like attending the premiere of the "next" movie in a much-enjoyed series!

Now that I've made sure no one beat me to it:

One cool thing about parallel writing is that characters who are minor in one story can become leading roles in the other. I created Vortex the Gryphon in my story almost as an afterthought, because the Gryphons were outraged over Tash having posed as one of them (the phony "Great Gryphon" who appeared to Hookpaw), and I decided that I needed to depict one individual Gryphon in this connection. Tim, however, picked up on Vortex, enthused at speculating how the big-cat behaviors he studies would be modified in a catlike being that could fly. So Vortex is going to be a more prominent character in this story than he had the chance to be in mine.

About the names: I didn't say this to Tim at the time he coined the lion names Zetow and Zavax, but I see symbolism in their names beginning with the LAST letter of our alphabet while Aslan begins with the FIRST letter. In the Book of Revelation, the Lord Jesus Christ is called "Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End." And since Aslan IS the Lord Jesus merely assuming a different material form, this letter-choice with the first mortal talking lions completes the English equivalent of "Alpha and Omega," so that the creat-ED lions help to announce the God-symbolism that identifies the Creat-OR Lion for Who He is.

Last edited:
Interesting theological point there, CF. I guess that's what happens when you get a philosopher writing a story... :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, I love the story, Tim! Keep it coming!

We all know about Tim's work at the zoo; but not everyone here knows that he is also an engineer! It is not giving much away to say that, in the course of "The Lion's Share," Tim wants to look at how humanoid Narnians might have rendered various technological services to intelligent creatures who would NOT have been tool-users by nature. (Hoofed animals in particular, such as horses and goats, would never be able to handle a pair of scissors even in Byron-on-Wells!)

You may recall a recent chapter of my own story, in which Vortex the Gryphon was transporting an injured young lioness named Yar-Kiza to where she could get the help she needed. That scene was designed as a connecting point between my story and Tim's, long _after_ the tigers' insane feud against the lions has been put down. Tim's writing will take awhile to catch up to that point in our shared chronology; he hasn't yet even come within years of where Hookpaw starts to make trouble. But when he and I discussed Yar-Kiza's predicament, he revealed his impressive knowledge of what is entailed in veterinary surgery.

You are going to learn a lot in this story about the many technical skills of dwarves. There will be amajor construction project. The surgery on Yar-kiza will involve the dwarves fabricating tool steels unknown in other ancient worlds, and finding the element tantalum for which to make splint pins.

Sorry I haven't been working more on the story. I have been trying to get ready to travel, and that has used up a lot of my available time. Perhaps tonight or tomorrow, I will get a few additions made.

I will be in a 'real fantasy world' where I am going-- there will be blacksmiths, leathersmiths, fur-dressers, armourers, jewelerly makers, clothiers etc. to make whatever I want (or can pay for!), often on the spot. We will be sleeping in the same kind of canvas tents that they would have used in the middle ages. We will be butchering and smoking our own meat. And, best of all, two lions to spend as much time with as I want! Needless to say, there will be little time for writing-- but lots of inspiration.

Late in the afternoon of that first day, Aslan called all the talking creatures back together. He then separated them into Groups, which more or less consisted of herbivores, carnivores (and aggressive omnivores), and quasi-humans.

The quasi-humans were asked to stay around Aslan. Their services would soon be required of the King and Queen. And indeed, many of these creatures would go on to become faithful servants to all the Kings and Queens of Narnia.

The herbivores were told that they needed to be wary. “You will have a three day reprieve from being hunted by wild carnivores,” explained Aslan, “I will feed them through my own providence. But after those three days, you will be just as fair game to them as are the dumb herbivores. The talking carnivores will not hunt you, and indeed may actually protect you. But, always be on guard. Your superior intelligence and your ability to learn will help protect you, but it is by no means an absolute safeguard. Now, I will dismiss you to go find homes for yourselves in my fair land of Narnia”. Aslan then sent the herbivores away in groups. These groups were made up of similar species, or else species that shared a similar type of foraging ground.

The last remaining group of animals was the carnivores, scavengers and aggressive omnivores of various sorts-- dogs, wolves, cats big and little, bears, hyenas, eagles, apes, etc. As Aslan would talk to each group by species or genus, they would happily run off into a nearby woods, not to be seen again for the rest of that day.

Aslan was addressing each group with words to this effect (In this instance, He was addressing the bears): “Now listen, talking bears. Although you can eat just about any food I have provided in this world, I have given you a craving for meat. It is not yet time for you to be hunters, but it is time for you to eat meat. Go yonder into that thicket to my left, and in there you will find meat especially for you. You will eat of this meat (for I will provide as much of it as you care for) until my new King and Queen have laid down the rules for hunting in this world. Heed what they will have to say as they are here for your good and prosperity.” Aslan then went on to give them a special blessing, and then He sent them on their way.

At last, Aslan had sent away all of the carnivores, scavengers and omnivores to their special feast except for the great cats-- the animals the most like Himself. He then addressed them as a group, using words similar to what he had told the others. But he added, “For you, the greatest predators in my land of Narnia, there is a special responsibility. By your hunting skill, your great adaptability, and your big appetites, you more than anyone else among the animals of Narnia will work to keep the dumb animals in proper balance so they will not overrun the land. You will also help keep my talking animals in balance in a much different way, one that will become apparent with time. This is both a great burden and a great blessing. Additionally, each of you has a special place and mission in my world, which will be revealed to you in due time. Bear it well, O great cats of Narnia!” With this, Aslan began to send away the cats by pairs into the thicket. As each pair went, out, Aslan gave them special instructions.

Last edited:
The leopards were the first cats called out by Aslan. Unlike the other big cats, there were two pair of leopards, and they were sent out together. One pair was black in color (also called a 'panther'), in which the late afternoon sun of that new world revealed in their fur, beautiful dark rosettes. Their names were Lord Blackspot and Lady Jade. The other pair, who were of the normal spotted variety, were named Lord Highbranch and Lady Satari. To them, Aslan said, “You have been chosen to be among the great warcats and defenders of Narnia. You will find the many forests of Narnia to be ideal habitat for you and your families to come. Now, go and enjoy the feast I have set for you, and be listening for the Kings' summons.”

The next cats called were the cheetahs, Lord Springpaw and Lady Fleetfoot. The blessing Aslan gave them was very similar to what the leopards had received, except they were to seek out different habitat for their home. “You have been chosen, fastest of all animals, to be among the defenders and warcats of Narnia. You will find the grassy plains of Narnia and it's surrounding countries to be an ideal place to live, hunt and raise a family. Now, go and enjoy the feast I have prepared for you, until you are called for by your King.”

Aslan next called up the ligers. These fantastical cats, half lionlike and half tigerlike, were easily twice the size of any of the other cats. They had spots on the their heads like a lion cub would, and the Patriarch had a scruffy mane. Their hindquarters were adorned with light stripes like a tiger. Their names were Lord Mafaw and Lady Ganda. To them, Aslan said, “To you, largest and strongest of the great cats is a special calling. You will inhabit the lands to the far north of Narnia, where your enormous strength and size will be needed for the task I have created you for. For now though, spend your days here becoming bigger and stronger, and start your family. In due time, I will call you to your mission. Now go, celebrate your new lives with the feast I have prepared for you in the thicket. Your King will shortly be calling for you.”

Lord Brightburn and Lady Slimtalon, the tigers now had their turn. They were big and impressive cats, and had the typical orange-and-black stripe coloration of their species. This couple had all the best characteristics that tigers could possess. To them, Aslan said “Your kind will have a great and important role in My new world. Protectors and preparers you will be. But you will first be dearly tried to show yourselves worthy of your calling. Take heed, be strong and alert. Now go into the thicket, and enjoy the feast I have prepared for you. Soon, your King will be wanting to talk with you.

The very last animals standing before Aslan were the lions. By earth standards, these would have been among the most impressive of lions to have ever lived. The lion Patriarch, Lord Zetow had a full-length mane of the most beautiful chestnut brown. His mate Lady Zavax was a powerfully built and deadly hunter. But, these otherwise majestic lions looked scrawny and pale in the presence of the Great Lion. For Zetow and Zavax, Aslan had a very special blessing and commission. “You lions, who have been given the privilege of bearing my likeness, to you you is a very special and high calling. Among all of your great cat brethren, it will be you who maintain peace and order in My absence. By your humility and your willingness to serve, you and your race will do great exploits in my happy land of Narnia and beyond. Yet, because you bear my likeness, there will always be those who do not like you. Be strong, wise and wary, and remember where your strength ultimately comes from. The plains of Narnia will provide plenty of large game for you and your growing family, although you will find homes in other parts of My world as well. Go now, eat well and rejoice. The King will soon have words of wisdom for you.”

Last edited:
Do ligers actually grow bigger than the parent tiger?? I wouldn't have thought it; but of course, in your scenario they are a self-sufficient species, not a hybrid, so you can make them bigger if you want. By the way, thanks for posting those pictures over on my thread; now I know what Hobbs looks like (present tense, because he presumably looks the same Up Yonder, so you'll recognize him someday). I didn't realize that ligers came with spots on their foreheads. Probably this huge size will come with some kind of balancing drawback--if nothing else, a greater need for food!

Be that as it may, these chapters have done a good smooth job of covering a lot of ground, so that the real character interactions can soon begin.

Last edited:
As far as Timbalionguy and I are aware, no one but us has ever attempted a fanfic which concentrated specifically on events within the lifetime of King Frank. One reason for this would be that almost everyone gets introduced to Narnia via "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," even though once "The Magician's Nephew" was published Mr. Lewis recommended that people read it first. Another reason would be that, in King Frank's time, there were fewer living creatures even present in the Narnian world for any interactions to occur between them.

But it can be done. It will be noticed that in my tiger story there is mention of Talking Sea Otters existing as neighbors to the Merpeople. Talking Dolphins would be a natural, too. Someone could write a story, independent of these feline stories but also set in King Frank's time, showing how ocean-based societies might have begun in the Narnian world. Tie-ins could be made to the future adventures of the Dawn Treader; for instance, the fanfic author could speculate on the origin of the island of nightmares.

Many people have imagined C.S. Lewis to have been only a cloistered academic all his life, with no understanding of "the real world." Those who think so are in error; Mr. Lewis was also a front-line combat veteran of World War One--something fitting to remember on Memorial Day weekend.

Our friend Tim Stoffel has this in common with Mr. Lewis, that his lively intelligence does not operate in isolation from the hands-on business of living. Tim has had a wide variety of remarkable experiences, and I anticipate seeing how those experiences will give depth and color to the story he is writing.

Among Tim's many interests is the huge Christian shortwave radio station high in the mountains of Ecuador, which is the biggest transmitting station of its kind in the world. It even has its own exclusive hydroelectric plant to provide its power! This is probably well known to Parthian King. Tim has mentioned that he would like to go to Ecuador someday and donate some of his time and skill to serving the technical needs of this worldwide (I heard it on shortwave when I was in Japan!) evangelistic outreach.

But I don't think Tim plans to imagine a radio station in Narnia.

Still, during the reign of the White Witch, underground radio stations would have been a fine way to keep up the people's faith in the eventual return of Aslan.

As a matter of fact, that very sort of image was used by Mr. Lewis in "Mere Christianity." He said that our world as a whole, being under the influence of Satan, is like Nazi-occupied Europe during World War Two. In this analogy, we Christians are like the underground resistance; and when we hear God's Word preached, this is like listening to secret radio broadcasts that give us news of our Liberator's plans.

While I'm thinking of it: Evening Star, if you're looking at this, I told Tim that he should ask you about your speculations on exactly how the Witch's takeover of Narnia would have occurred. He also is interested in conjecturing this. I have said in connection with my own story that Jadis' "hangman" function COULD NOT have been in effect from the VERY start of her presence in the Narnian world. If it had been so, then every time any Narnian being deserted Aslan to serve her, that being would have been a traitor; so Jadis would have been compelled to keep killing the deserters as fast as they came to her, and she would never have had an army.

Back