Shaking Hands

Lucy Fan

I've always wondered this but in LWW when Lucy introduces herself and puts her hand out to Mr. Tumnus and in response he looks confused to which Lucy says, "oh you shake it".

Being from the U.S. I've always thought shaking hands when introducing yourself to someone was an American tradition. Did they have Lucy do this to appeal to American audiences or is shaking hands something people do in other countries?

As an added note I find less and less people shake hands in the U.S. nowadays. I've found myself in an awkward position too many times now where I put my hand out to shake hands with someone when I first meet them and I get the same look that Mr. Tumnus gave to Lucy.

Shaking hands is a very ancient ritual that may have originated, like the hand wave, to show the other person was unarmed.

I think they did the scene in the movie as a way to have a cute and naïve ice breaker.

MrBob

Shaking hands is a very ancient ritual that may have originated, like the hand wave, to show the other person was unarmed.

I think they did the scene in the movie as a way to have a cute and naïve ice breaker.

MrBob

That's a good point. :)

Shaking hands is pretty normal in the UK when you meet someone for the first time - especially in formal situations; in informal situations you have to judge the mood more carefully. Though for a child of Lucy's age, I'm not sure it would be that normal!

In Germany, shaking hands is the normal greeting. I remember when I went there and was taken aback that I was expected to shake people's hands every time I met them.

Peeps

Back