Mark Gordon Company's The Silver Chair

Wish I could have been following this discussion sooner, but here are my thoughts:

Someone mentioned on the non-forum part of the website, that it seems that the Narnia series keeps getting downgraded to a lower production company. I agree with them. I decided, optimistically, to look at what the Mark Gordon production company has done, and it looks like their big titles are "Criminal Minds", "Grey's Anatomy" and "Source Code." Doesn't quite seem fitting, does it :/.

But, we also have to consider that the main factors in movie making (in my opinion) are the writers, actors, and the director, and since we have no idea who will be taking these spots, I'm still going to stay optimistic about this movie.

I mean, VOTDT set a pretty low bar which can only be raised now, right? :D

Maybe we should talk about what can be cut from the book and still be a good movie. You can cut the giants throwing rocks at the children. It doesn't have to be such a long trip from their escape from the giants to the Green Ladies castle (Father time and Jill's Claustrophobia are not important). I know the end where the children attack the bullies with the flat side of the sword will be cut.:rolleyes:

ahyperdude, you're right. I pass no judgement over the choice of company at this time!

I do not think they should cut the giants throwing rocks! The giant part is an interesting part of the book and will be interesting to approach for the filmmakers.

A little book scanning is needed for me to decide what could be cut and what really must stay...

At least with `The Silver Chair` they have a story thats easier to adapt than some of the others, being basically three characters going on a journey.
Some shortening of the plot can probably be expected to fit the length of a film but, provided they get some resonably good writers working on it we shouldn`t be to disappointed.
In some ways whats happened is something of a vindication of Douglas Gresham`s point of view as he always did want `The Silver Chair` to be the next film in the sequence.

I do not think they should cut the giants throwing rocks! The giant part is an interesting part of the book and will be interesting to approach for the filmmakers.

I agree. I feel that that scene will DEFINITELY NOT be cut, since it is a great chance for the writers to fit in an "action" scene. The Hobbit, for example, fit in the rock monsters, although they were barely even mentioned in the book; movie makers will do anything just to fit in a little more action. Let's just hope they don't make them too big a part of the story line :confused:

At least with `The Silver Chair` they have a story thats easier to adapt than some of the others, being basically three characters going on a journey.
Some shortening of the plot can probably be expected to fit the length of a film but, provided they get some resonably good writers working on it we shouldn`t be to disappointed.

I agree! I can understand why the writers had some trouble with PC and VOTDT since they weren't so action filled as LWW, but hopefully this movie won't be so much of a problem in that respect.

The openings of the three previous films were considerably different. LWW had a rise and fall of action before any mention of Narnia. PC set the stage for its namesake in swift action before transitioning to our world. VDT didn't have much of any action until the painting, which was only a matter of minutes after it began.

The beginning of SC is multi-dimensional. It starts in England, then moves to Aslan's Country, and then to Narnia (arguably geographically connected to Aslan's country). Rillian's backstory and Aslan's instructions drive the plot. I suppose they could just translate the chronology of the movie as the book is written.

I'd like first to see the film be true to the novel, and then if possible financially successful as well. I'm not sure how best to advertise the film. Will audiences remember Eustace? How about Caspian, now that he is old? Will they be asking where Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy are? Will they care at all? When I tried to share my love of the CON with a 20-year-old friend, her response was "Let's go hide inside the clothing racks at Wal-Mart and as people browse, shout 'WELCOME TO NARNIA!'"

Nevertheless, yes I'll be patient and wait and see what can happen. Again, I say use Will Poulter. But I guess I won't be heartbroken if they don't (it is kind of hard to picture him on an owl's back). Caspian lost his accent so it wouldn't be the first instance of discontinuity. However, if they do replace one actor, I'd really like it to be the man playing Drinian, who I believe is described as tall and dark-haired.

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. I'll see what casting and crew announcements follow (like who will be playing the green mist). SC is kinda like salmon. Salmon is a great food that even a novice cook should be able to work with. Let's hope it turns out appetizing.

"When I tried to share my love of the CON with a 20-year-old friend, her response was "Let's go hide inside the clothing racks at Wal-Mart and as people browse, shout 'WELCOME TO NARNIA!'"

Brilliant! However, I am not at all sure you ought to have mentioned this, as it's given me ideas!

Will audiences remember Eustace? How about Caspian, now that he is old?

Picturing Ben Barnes made to look older by lots of make-up and sporting a beard has brought me some amusement. :p

I'm sure for Caspian that they could just cast an old, old man. In any case he's only seen from a distance!

Perhaps only the fans will remember much about Eustace, and Caspian isn't too important in this book, so it will be like a fresh adventure for the standard film-goer. It's got enough intrigue in it.

I'm sure for Caspian that they could just cast an old, old man. In any case he's only seen from a distance!
Except at near the end in Aslan`s country where he `reverts` to his younger appearance (sort of).
They`ll need Ben for those scenes so they will most likely just use CGI and prosthetics to make him look much older in the earler part of the story.

Last edited:
Ben Barnes will finally be the right age for his part at the end of SC! He was already a grown man in PC. I hope they do bring him back for that moment. It's one of the loveliest moments in the book, when Caspian is restored in Aslan's country. :)

Ben Barnes has acted skillfully according to the scripts given to him. I understand that Narnia was all new to him when he was first hired for "Prince NON-Caspian." It wasn't his fault that Andrew Adamson decided to make P.C. into a Shrek movie instead of a Narnian movie.

I was so excited when I heard the announcement. It's been a while since we've had a Narnia movie, and even though the last one didn't really meet what I had expected of it, I am still excited for this. :)

Hopefully with this new company they'll continue making the movies and making them accurate to the books! I'd still really love to see a film version of The Last Battle, as it is my favorite.

Very exiting news. I hope it will be better than the last two movies, though. I'm especially curious who will play Puddleglum :) I totally love that character :D Now let's hope, they will not turn it into a Eustace/Jill lovestory, nor in an action movie. And no, I'm not negative, I'm very looking forward to it! Especially, because I soooo want a new Narnia hype. :p

There's one thing I want for Jill Pole in the movies: don't choose a famous actress, just for looks. I want a good actor who is undergroud, so we won't think of her as anything but Jill. I would like some veteran actor's to play supporting roles. I don't know who though.

James Woods looks like Puddleglum, good call, CF.

I agree, an unknown but talented actress for Jill will be great -- like Susan and Lucy in LWW; we didn't know who they were, but they were perfect for their parts.

I have to read the book again now, so I can think what parts are so important they can't be left out and what could be changed for the film ... I hope the Earthmen are just as CSL describes them. So cute. And I can't wait to see the salamanders.

My favorite part was always the giants, I can't wait to see how they design the set for the castle and Jill's guest room!

Back