New Forum URL Help

At which URL should the Dancing Lawn be found?

• NarniaForum.com

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • NarniaForums.com

Votes: 49 76.6%

• Total voters

Specter

Meeting the World
Staff member
Knight of the Noble Order
Royal Guard
Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I think the time has come to simplify the forum's address. I'd like your thoughts on this before I go through with it.

I've managed to get a couple of URLs that I think would be great for this place.

http://www.narniaforum.com
http://www.narniaforums.com

Currently, both point at www.narniafans.com/forum

My question to you all is this. If we were to move the forum to one of those, which would you prefer. All of the posts and everything would be at shorter URLs than they currently are.

One reason why I want to do this is because it currently costs a ton to run the website, and as there won't be new movies for a little while, I can move the site to a server that will cost me 1/20th what it costs right now per month.

And I'd like to make it so that, even if another movie comes out, I can safely move NarniaFans.com to another server that can handle the traffic that is only there for the news, and keep the community safely running, and online, as a separate unit that is still very much a part of NarniaFans.com without needing to jump through extra hoops. I'm sure Prince of the West can also do a fairly good job of explaining it.

Plus, whenever we post some big news that usually takes down the website, that shouldn't have any effect at all on the forum anymore, as it'd be at a separate domain.

So, I'm asking you for help and your vote as to where we wind up moving the forum to.

I know it's small, and the only difference is an "s" at the end, but I don't know what you'd like, and as the community, I'd like you to decide.

Will the forum actually physically change from this edit? Or just the URL?
(That probably sounds like a stupid question, but I know absolutely nothing about such things.)

I like the 2nd URL better. It just sounds proper.

Definitely narniaforums! Keeps the 'flavor' of narniafans, what with the 'f' at the beginning and 's' at the end of the addendum.

Will the forum actually physically change from this edit? Or just the URL?
(That probably sounds like a stupid question, but I know absolutely nothing about such things.)

I like the 2nd URL better. It just sounds proper.

The forums won't physically change yet. However, it's been about 8 or 9 years with the same look, and the same software. I'm going to look into what it would take to get the forum upgraded to one of the latest versions of vBulletin, and also do kind of a retro theme that looks like this one (or very similar) as well as a new theme as well, with new features.

Forum or fora?

Actually, I think the correct plural of 'forum' is 'fora'. But 'forums' works as well.

I had to think about this a little bit, as I like the concept of 'forum'. But there are a number of broadly differing discussion going on here, each in their own area, so, 'forums' is more correct in this case.

I'm currently learning how much fun it is to be an administrator of a forum. I was just elevated to full administrator on one of the constructed language forums I am involved in (with no hint or warning that it was happening; I just logged in one day and found I was an administrator :) ). A week later, a major expansion of the forums was announced, completely unrelated to this elevation. I will be a busy man for a while!

Last edited:
Actually, I think the correct plural of 'forum' is 'fora'. But 'forums' works as well.

I had to think about this a little bit, as I like the concept of 'forum'. But there are a number of broadly differing discussion going on here, each in their own area, so, 'forums' is more correct in this case.

I'm currently learning how much fun it is to be an administrator of a forum. I was just elevated to full administrator on one of the constructed language forums I am involved in (with no hint or warning that it was happening; I just logged in one day and found I was an administrator :) ). A week later, a major expansion of the forums was announced, completely unrelated to this elevation. I will be a busy man for a while!

The correct plural of forum is, in fact, fora.

However, in doing some searching, people just don't use that term at all anymore.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Narnia Forum, Narnia Forums, Narnia Fora
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Forum, Fora, Forums&cmpt=q

And clicking on "Forums" to see what types of forums people are looking for, with the generic terms, it's the plural that Narnia Forums actually fits in.

In fact, the search "Narnia Forum" will also include "Narnia Forums," making that actually helpful.

Also, yeah, administrating a forum can be extremely difficult. Especially when trying to keep the spam users out while making it easier for others to get in.

Simply being a perfectionist I voted "forum" because the current link is narniafans.com/forum not /forums but as long as you're not changing the forums around (*angry duffer*) I'm cool with whatever. ;)

I assume you will be able to link to the new forum site from the narniafans.com site.:confused:
Yep, it's going to be linked back and forth.

I'll have to update my bookmark and stuff, won't I?
I plan on an auto-redirect from NarniaFans.com/Forum to wherever it ends up.

Simply being a perfectionist I voted "forum" because the current link is narniafans.com/forum not /forums but as long as you're not changing the forums around (*angry duffer*) I'm cool with whatever. ;)
It's funny because it used to be at narniafans.com/forums, but we changed it to /forum back when we got a new forum software and didn't want to break things.

Nah, won't be moving things around. The forums will still be in the same order as they are now.

What's in a name? This site by any other name would be as sweet/fun/stimulating/warm ;)
Either is fine with me, though I voted for Forum.
Thank you for all you do, Paul...

Back