Mark Gordon Company's The Silver Chair

Sorry off topic from current character discussion, but my biggest hope for the movie is that Liam Neeson continues to do the voice of Aslan. That's really all I want. :)

Sorry off topic from current character discussion, but my biggest hope for the movie is that Liam Neeson continues to do the voice of Aslan. That's really all I want. :)
It's on topic with the thread so it's ok. And as for your wish, I can't imagine anyone else as the voice of Aslan. They definitely should continue with Liam.

I think probably more Christians would be upset by their changing the voice of Aslan in the films at this point; we're all used to Liam.

Right. It's not like they can call up say, Kirk Cameron this late in the game and have him replace Liam . No place in replacing him this late in the game. Even if they could, I just can't hear Mr. Cameron as Aslan. I remember seeing Batman Begins back when LWW was in production and Brian Cox left the roll and when I first heard Liam's voice I thought "he would be the perfect Aslan." And this comes from some one who as a kid wanted James Earl Jones to voice Aslan because of Mufasa in Lion King.

Shifting topic a bit, you know who would make a good voice for Glimfeather the Owl? Sylvester McCoy! I was watching The Hobbit and when I heard his voice I thought... there is something ....Owlish... to his voice.

Plus an Owl would be voiced by Dr. "Who." ( Sorry I couldn't resist.)

Lets see what other former Time Lords can we squeeze into Narnia rolls... hey! Maybe that's how Narnia time runs differently from Earth time! It's filled with retired Time Lords!

Last edited:
It is hard to get a clear quote of what Liam Neeson actually said, but basically he said that Aslan didn't just represent Christ, but that he could just as easily represent Mohammad or Buddha. There were also rumors that he might convert from Catholic to Muslim.

Based from this website, Neeson said: ‘"Aslan symbolises a Christ-like figure but he also symbolises for me Mohammed, Buddha and all the great spiritual leaders and prophets over the centuries."

In truth, I don't care about that but only in how well he does in his voice role as Aslan. So far, he has been great and I see no reason to recast him.

MrBob

I always thought it was a missed opportunity that James Earl Jones's was not used for Aslan. If they ever reboot this series, they should seriously consider giving the part to him. Liam Neeson's voice simply doesn't cut it.

Sven-El said:
Lets see what other former Time Lords can we squeeze into Narnia rolls... hey! Maybe that's how Narnia time runs differently from Earth time! It's filled with retired Time Lords!
LOL! Love that. :)

I am excited and a little wary! I hope they make it a lot more like the book then they did with VotD and even PC!

What did Liam say in 2010??

I will be looking forward to seeing The Silver Chair at the theater. Depending on what Will Poulter will look like when/if filming starts, I would like to see him play Eustace again. James Van Der Beek played a teenager on Dawson's Creek even though he was in his 20's at the time.

It is hard to get a clear quote of what Liam Neeson actually said, but basically he said that Aslan didn't just represent Christ, but that he could just as easily represent Mohammad or Buddha. There were also rumors that he might convert from Catholic to Muslim.
Woah OK, thank you. I thought he insulted Christians or so... But that... I mean, Aslan is Christ. That's it. However, there is always freedom for interpretations. Not that I think it's OK, what he said, but... I have heard WAY worse things. It's better than saying Aslan portarys nothing or Aslan portrays the devil or - the worst - Aslan is used to portray Jesus - who is something bad (as many anti-christians and radical atheists say).
Saying Aslan portrays Christ but can also be interpreted as Buddha or Mohammed who - honestly - did nothing wrong or bad... Well, I don't agree with him, however... I really thought he INSULTED Christians or something similar and had for a couple of days a completely different view of him (and uncomfortable view! Especially while watching him in a movie) so I'm actually a little delighted.

I always thought it was a missed opportunity that James Earl Jones's was not used for Aslan. If they ever reboot this series, they should seriously consider giving the part to him. Liam Neeson's voice simply doesn't cut it.
James would have been good I agree, however, I do think Liam neeson's voice portrays the softness and empathy of aslan's character. Just my opinion anyway :)

James already voiced Mufasa! It would be too typical if he had been cast for Aslan's voice, especially when they were both Disney films, so I'm glad they didn't just go with that. :)

I wasn't sure about Liam's voice at first, and then I just got used to it and it's fine now. Having said that, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they got another actor for Aslan, as long as he was of a similar tone.

Back