Mafia XXVI: Traverses in Telmar

Sopespian

MAFIA XXVI: Traverses through Telmar

A group of Telmarine travelers were taking a sightseeing trip through the great land of Telmar. They were spending the night in the Telmarine Castle Hotel, which is next to King Caspian IX’s castle. In the morning when they went to the breakfast room, the chairs and tables had been overturned. Food and juice were all over the floor. Ignoring the hotel staff desperately trying to clean up, their eyes gravitated to the wall, upon which had been painted these words:

Dear Traversers of Telmar,

We are the Calormenes. We are in your midst and you don’t even know it – or us. We will kill you one by one until you are all dead. Then we will take over your kingdom and completely destroy every last memory of Telmar. This breakfast room is merely a symbol of what we will do to Telmar. Watch your backs!

Sincerely,

The Calormenes

The Jobs:

Telmarines: The majority of players are Telmarines. Telmarines do nothing special; they just vote every day for whom they think is a Calormene.

Calormene: There are three Calormenes, whose deep, passionate desire is to kill Telmarines. They get to kill one player every night. They PM the Telmarine lord (that’s me!), telling him whom they want to kill. The Calormenes are devious, and have clever disguises that make them look like ordinary Telmarines. They all know each other, though they know no one else’s job.

Mr. Holmes: It’s a little-known fact, but the original Sherlock Holmes was really a Telmarine. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, having passed through a magical chasm leading him to Telmar, met Mr. Holmes and his pal, Dr. Watson. Holmes and Watson told Sir Doyle all of their exciting adventures solving mysteries. When Sir Doyle returned to England, he wrote all of Mr. Holmes tales in a book, setting the stories in England. Mr. Holmes gets to find out the job of one person per night, by PMing the Telmarine lord.

Apothecary: In ancient Telmar, the Apothecary was a respected member of the community. His loving care of the people was evidenced through his house calls, bedside manner, and diligence. He put this diligence to use creating medicines and potions, and saving lives. The Apothecary heals one person every night, by PMing the Telmarine lord. If the Apothecary heals the same person as the Calormenes decide to kill, then that person doesn’t die (yay!). He currently has a special on something he calls “hair-growth elixir”, which he claims will put hair on a billiard ball. I’m not sure why anyone would want hair on a billiard ball, but, hey, the stuff tastes pretty good. However, he is pretty touchy…

Matchmaker: The Matchmaker, apprentice to the Apothecary, is becoming quite good at what he does. He can make a potion so powerful that if administered to two people (even if the two hated each other previously), those two will follow each other around and interact so closely that anyone would suppose that they love each other. On the first night only, the Matchmaker PMs the Telmarine lord with the names of two people he wants to be ‘lovebirds’. The Telmarine lord will then administer the potion (don’t worry, it tastes good and comes in grape and orange). If one of these lovebirds dies at any time in the game, the other one will too. If one is healed by the apothecary, the other is (naturally) healed also. I’m thinking of taking some of the Matchmaker’s potion myself; who wants to be my lucky fellow lovebird? ;)

The Game Play:

There are 2 periods of the game: day and night (there is no twilight zone). During the nights, the Calormenes kill somebody, Mr. Holmes finds out somebody’s job, and the Apothecary heals somebody. During the days everybody votes on whom to hang at the end of the day.

The object of the game for the Calormenes is to kill everybody before they themselves are all hung. The object of the game for everybody else is to hang all the Calormenes before they're all dead. During the night, the Calormenes kill one person, Mr. Holmes finds out the job of one person, the Apothecary heals one person, and (on the first night only) the Matchmaker picks two lovebirds. During the day, everybody votes on whom to hang for the last murder. Please put your votes in bold; otherwise, they WILL NOT count. (I will be putting people’s votes up in bold next to their names after they vote.) Then it goes back to night and the cycle starts over again.

We will be playing this game with time constraints, so each day and night will last 84 hours at the most.
For the days: The day ends (1) when all of the people have voted, (2) when one person has more than half of the active votes or (3) when the 84 hours are up. If the vote is tied after the day ends, I will flip a coin to determine who gets hanged (that’s the fun part!).

For the nights: The night ends when (1) the Calormenes, Mr. Holmes, the Apothecary, and (on the first night only) Matchmaker have all PMed the Telmarine lord, or (2) when the 84 hours are up. If any of the people with night jobs have not PMed the Telmarine lord by the end of the night, said Telmarine lord selects a name at random to go to that job. Thus if the Calormenes fail to PM the Telmarine lord, said Telmarine lord selects a name at random for them to kill, if Mr. Holmes fails to PM the Telmarine lord, said Telmarine lord selects a person at random whose job to tell to Mr. Holmes, and so forth. Nights are dark in Telmar; carry a flashlight.

Ghosts of killed or hanged players will please post no more than two posts per period (night, day) if you can help it. It is up to you to govern yourselves, as I cannot enforce this.

*** THERE IS A TWIST TO THIS GAME! ***

This game will be indirect-reveal. When a person is killed or hanged, I will hide a clue to that person’s job in the story describing the player’s demise. Look carefully! It will not be obvious!

Notable things:

Please keep your inbox as empty as possible. I will send PMs regularly to the players with jobs. You can download .xml or .txt files of your favorite PMs if necessary.

Don't be scared to make alliances, lie, and do anything else to win! Just remember, don't trust anyone, as we have Calormenes in our midst! If you prefer to play in a sportsmanlike manner (which is most noble), you may decline from using devious methods to win, but be forewarned that they are allowed in the rules and that you may be targeted by other players. Please do not take anything personally and don’t chew out people who kill you! Don’t learn things the hard way in this game!

You are always free to ask questions by PMing me or by asking everyone in general.

IT IS NOW NIGHT; YOU HAVE 84 HOURS TO PM ME.

The dead players:
VictorianLady - killed Night 2
Lossy - hanged Day 1
Korkoa - killed Night 1
loverble - hanged Day 2
Elsesta - killed Night 3
Glenburne - hanged Day 3
MissReepicheep - hanged Day 4

The living players:
Gondorgirl
Twilightdryadhobbit
Zella
~Lava~

Last edited:
(Before I rush off to class...)

Amazing! :eek:
I love the setting. It all fit together so nicely.

I love semi-reveal!!! What a stroke of inspiration that was!

On the other hand, I'm not too fond of not being able to speak more than twice if dead - though hopefully I don't die off soon. What if it's non-mafia related? Such as offering a cookie to a fellow ghostie or something?

But then, I guess we don't really want to spam the thread too much... *sigh* :p

On the other hand, I'm not too fond of not being able to speak more than twice if dead - though hopefully I don't die off soon. What if it's non-mafia related? Such as offering a cookie to a fellow ghostie or something?

But then, I guess we don't really want to spam the thread too much... *sigh* :p

More than twice per "day" or "night" period. However, I won't be upset if your posts are not game related. Maybe I should just take that rule out...

No, as long as I can still whack people over the head with various objects, I'm happy. My main fear was being unable to whack Glen or Zella or someone if they deserved it. :D

Ooh, this is going to be good! I like it, Mike.

No, as long as I can still whack people over the head with various objects, I'm happy. My main fear was being unable to whack Glen or Zella or someone if they deserved it. :D

Hey, now. When do I ever deserve to be whacked over the head?:D

Hey, I just got murdered last game, and that without the comfort of fighting to the death with a dragon. *pouts*

You're right, though--indirect reveal should be very interesting. And I love the creative roles. :)

Of course, there will never be a game as colossally, incredibly wonderful as this one, but I suppose the next one will be pretty good. ;) Perhaps you can get a feel for the game by observing this one.
I daresay I agree. :D I am overwhelmed with the impending awesitude of this game. x)

I think that the rule about ghosts speaking is fine, as long as post unrelated to the game are unlimited.

So, Glen, are you going to tell us the rest of the story of the king and the penguin now?:D

I thought it was over... Am I just being ignorant? I've always known that I'm not too learned in the ways of penguins. Now, kings, I know all about them.

Keep up the PMing, folks! Don't be shy! ;)

This is awesome, Mike. XD

Minus the whole dying thing...

*Sets up blanket fort*

So, Glen, are you going to tell us the rest of the story of the king and the penguin now?:D

Here goes:

Then the king, revived by the purple smoke, jumped up and began to dance. He grabbed his penguin love by the flippers and blew smoke in her face. She stirred and jumped up, and they began to polka together--waddle-hop, waddle-hop, waddle-hop. Noah began to weep tears of joy. "Will you make her your bride this day, O my king, that we may have a queen to grace our land?"

"Yep," said the king. (Being dead tends to ruin one's courtly language.) "So, where's the marrier guy?"

It suddenly occurred to Noah that the only surviving government official was the king, and that getting a marriage certificate could be a problem.

But the king saw the hut and gave a shriek of joy. "The hermit will do it!" He danced with the penguin again--waddle-hop, waddle-hop--and then scooped her into his arms and dashed toward the hut....

Now we need to have a nice discussion about books. Mafia threads seem to always contain those.

*huggles copy of VDT*

Back