Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Lantern

• Aquaman

• Cyborg

• Total voters
So, since DC is starting up their own cinematic universe, I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread for it.

So, what did everyone think of Man of Steel? Is Ben Affleck really that bad of an actor? Flash, Arrow, Gotham, or Supergirl? Anyone looking forward to the Titans show starting soon? I know I am.

The Titans, sometimes known as the Teen Titans, started when the sidekicks wanted to hang out. The original team was Robin, Kid Flash, Speedy (Green Arrow's sidekick) Aqualad, and Wonder Girl.

The team shifts a lot though. The most famous team was in a cartoon, and was based on the 'New Teen Titans' run from the '80s. It consists of Nightwing (Robin's 2nd ID), an alien princess called Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy, and a sorceress named Raven.

The current Titans team in the comics is Red Robin (Robin III), Raven, Beast Boy, a guy called Bunker who makes purple bricks, Power Girl II, Wonder Girl II, Kid Flash II, Chimera (a shapeshifting alien), and some guy called Doomed.

Villains include Brother Blood, who can mind-control people; Deathstroke the Terminator, and Trigon, who is Raven's evil father that she has rejected.

The team for the show would have been Nightwing, Raven, Starfire, Hawk, Dove, and Oracle. Oracle is what they called Batgirl after she lost the use of her legs and became a computer and surveillance wiz.

The Titans, sometimes known as the Teen Titans, started when the sidekicks wanted to hang out. The original team was Robin, Kid Flash, Speedy (Green Arrow's sidekick) Aqualad, and Wonder Girl.

The team shifts a lot though. The most famous team was in a cartoon, and was based on the 'New Teen Titans' run from the '80s. It consists of Nightwing (Robin's 2nd ID), an alien princess called Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy, and a sorceress named Raven.

The current Titans team in the comics is Red Robin (Robin III), Raven, Beast Boy, a guy called Bunker who makes purple bricks, Power Girl II, Wonder Girl II, Kid Flash II, Chimera (a shapeshifting alien), and some guy called Doomed.

Villains include Brother Blood, who can mind-control people; Deathstroke the Terminator, and Trigon, who is Raven's evil father that she has rejected.

The team for the show would have been Nightwing, Raven, Starfire, Hawk, Dove, and Oracle. Oracle is what they called Batgirl after she lost the use of her legs and became a computer and surveillance wiz.
Wow, that's a lot. I know the Teen Titan that were on Cartoon Network. I guess it was the "New Teen Titans" you mentioned, with Robin, Raven, Starfire, Cyborg, and Beast Boy. I kinda liked that show but I stopped watching when my kids grew up:)

I just discovered that show recently, when I stumbled on an episode of 'Teen Titans GO' (a terrible show) that had a clip from the original cartoon. It wasn't at the library, so I made a leap of faith and bought the first season. It may be a slight obsession now.

Suicide Squad trailer came out a few days ago. I won't post it here because of slightly questionable content. However, it seems as though they are trying to copy Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' a little bit.

One book I highly recommend is Supersons. It focuses on Jonathan "Jono" Lane-Kent, the son of Superman and Lois Lane, and Damian Wayne the son of Batman and Talia Al'Ghul. The book is a fun, fast paced story. The characters play off each other well, and for the first time in almost ever, they have an artist and writer who actualy write and draw kids like, well kids, not miniature adults. For example the two debate over who is better, Batman or Superman, and through Jon and Damian it's more of a "my dad can beat up your dad".

Agreed. Certainly the best DC has produced so far. Come on Marvel, we need a Black Widow film!

Indeed! They actually let a DC hero be what DC heroes are supposed to be. DC heroes are supposed to be "inspirational, larger than life" figures, while Marvel heroes, they are the relatable guys you could grab a burger with.

I loved the no man's land scene. It called to mind the World War I legend of the Angel of Mons. I also loved when she geeked out about seeing a baby for the first time. If she didn't smile and squeal with glee at seeing and hearing a baby it would mean she was a strong female, it would mean she is emotionally dead.

I've been liking the DC superhero TV shows, for the most, Arrow had it's strongest season so far, and Legends of Tomorrow season 2 was better than season 1 ( they even had an episode where they traveled back in time and met Tolkien while he was serving in World War I.) The recent season of the Flash was a bit of a let down, mainly as I had been looking forward to theme doing Flashpoint but they didn't do enough with the whole alternate time-line. In fact an episode of Arrow and Legends would have fit in perfect with the story arc.

Most disappointing was Supergirl season 2. They were juggling too many narratives and it got so political I felt sometimes like I sat on my remote and flipped it to C-Span, and more important side characters got reduced to nothing in order to focus on a character story arc which shall not be mentioned here due to the family nature of this site. Lets just say a friend of mine who would preview episodes before watching it with her 6 year old decided to stop watching it as she didn't want to explain something to him until she felt it was necessary. It was a shame too as season 1 had been such a delight.

Indeed! They actually let a DC hero be what DC heroes are supposed to be. DC heroes are supposed to be "inspirational, larger than life" figures, while Marvel heroes, they are the relatable guys you could grab a burger with.

So, Batman fits the DC description because he's not particularly relatable? I always liked him because a real person could conceivably become him if they had enough money. No need to get bit by a radioactive spider first.

So, Batman fits the DC description because he's not particularly relatable? I always liked him because a real person could conceivably become him if they had enough money. No need to get bit by a radioactive spider first.

Well, not just money but years and years of training and a brilliant mind. And it's not to say they aren't "relatable" but there is something about Bats that is inspiring in the sense that he used this personal tragedy to rebuild himself into something more. Perhaps the more operative word should have been approachable. After all, you want to hang with Iron Man, but Batman well, he's not always very user friendly. Just ask his his flock of Robins.

As for the spider-bite, despite it, I've always related to Peter Parker more than Bruce Wayne as his struggles are a "real person" struggles, like not catching the bus, having problems at work, getting bullied at school, relationship problems, a loved one getting laid off, his childhood home getting foreclosed upon, a loved one falling ill, etc.

I would even make the case that Barry Allen is the only character who comes closest to being like Peter Parker that DC has due to the fact he has an ordinary 9 to 5 job as a police forensics scientist. But even than at the end of the day he sifts through grizzly crime scene evidence and this doesn't throw him into despair or depression. In fact in his line of work, it isn't uncommon for the CSI guys to need to take a leave of absense in order to mentally and emotionally recover.

Last edited:
Sven-El, you've shared many fine insights. Allow me, though, to assist you with clarity....

>>> I also loved when she geeked out about seeing a baby for the first time. If she didn't smile and squeal with glee at seeing and hearing a baby it would mean she was a strong female, it would mean she is emotionally dead.

In the last sentence there, you meant to say "--it WOULDN'T mean," etc.

And now for the matter of double surnames, like "Lane-Kent." Not only in naming offspring, but in what names are borne by spouses. As far as I can tell, I am the only human being alive who has traced this politically-correct fad to its obvious and inescapable conclusion.

Suppose that Ricardo Lopez marries Alberta Turner. Around the same time, Boris Menshikov marries Susan Grant; Jeff Yasuhiro marries Lorna Peterson; and Oscar Caldwell marries Fifi Mugabe. The fad requires that both spouses assume both surnames, so now we have Ricardo and Alberta Lopez-Turner, Boris and Susan Menshikov-Grant, Jeff and Lorna Yasuhiro-Peterson, and Oscar and Fifi Caldwell-Mugabe.

A new generation arises, and eventually sons of the first and third couples respectively marry daughters of the second and fourth couples. No surname can be dropped, lest someone feel all triggered and micro-aggressed; so now we have:

1) Kenneth and Olivia Lopez-Turner-Menshikov-Grant; and

2) Theodore and Janice Yasuhiro-Peterson-Caldwell-Mugabe.

Enter the THIRD generation, and a son of one above-listed second-generation couple marries a daughter of the other above-listed second-generation couple. We still have to make everybody equal, equal, equal; so we STILL can't drop any surnames. Accordingly, we now have:

William and Mariko Lopez-Turner-Menshikov-Grant-Yasuhiro-Peterson-Caldwell-Mugabe.

Care to see how the FOURTH generation will be? No?

If women looking at marriage decide that assuming their husband's last name will make them slaves, there's a much easier solution than the ever-increasing hyphenation: just have EVERYONE keep the last name they were born with. In that arrangement, Ricardo Lopez and Alberta Turner would simply continue being a Lopez and a Turner -- and so on.

That's the way the Chinese have ALWAYS done it, and they are perfectly capable of having good marriages.

I've noticed that when doing passports for Chinese married couples and had wondered if it was customary....

Speaking as a member of the Millenials, I'd be glad to change my name to my husband's if I ever marry. I don't see it as a mark of slavery, but as a symbol of my vows of marriage. I've never understood this fad of hyphenation; to me it's silly.

Eh. Some people like it, some don't. In the case of comic book characters, I think that it's a case of making sure someone's name stays recognizable.

Back