Votes: 24 66.7%
  • It was OK.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • It wasn't good at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HATED it!

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
My step-daughters got me in -- while I was sick they registered me, as a get-well present. Very cool! Can't wait! I'm thinking Gryffindor ...

I finally had time to go see the movie. I really liked the shots of the professors stepping up to the challenge to create protection over Hogwarts. It's been a while since I read the book so I don't know if the part about the stone knights is canonical, but I thought it was really impressive and I love Professor M's comment, "I've always wanted to do that spell." Seeing the protective shield go up was beautiful.

And I missed the true ending since I am not so much in to whizbang. But it was a powerful film.

It was a really good film... I was pleasantly surprised to be honest.

I LOVE Professor McGonagall in this film, she's just brilliant, and it's like they've tried to make up for all of her comments that they've missed throughout the movies.

Yes, Prof M does call the Suits of Armor to protect the school, in the book. And I agree with Benisse about the ending, I would have preferred it all reflect the book more rather than action-adventure-Hollywood. But I still enjoyed the film immensely and hope to see it again if it stays long enough in cinema.

Yes, Prof M does call the Suits of Armor to protect the school, in the book. And I agree with Benisse about the ending, I would have preferred it all reflect the book more rather than action-adventure-Hollywood. But I still enjoyed the film immensely and hope to see it again if it stays long enough in cinema.

I wasn't at all happy with the way Voldemort died, but I still enjoyed the movie a lot! I cried watching the movie, as I cried when reading the book. I can't wait for the dvd to come out, and to see what all of the wonderful bonus features are going to be. I've read that its going to come out sometime in November. That would be great if it did!

The deaths of both Voldy and Bella were done for the 3D audience and not for the plot.

I really wished they had at least some of the discussion between Harry and Voldy. What I liked most about the book ending was Harry calling him Tom, completely stripping him of his last vestige of who he wanted to be. To Harry it wasn't fighting against the most feared wizard, just a guy whose name was Tom Marvolo Riddle. That was when Harry truly defeated Voldy, when he refused to play his game.

MrBob

I like the dialog in the book for a different reason, because Harry suggests Voldy try for a little remorse. He has pity for Tom, he has glimpsed what Voldy will become, and despite that Voldy killed his family, he wants to spare him that fate. It truly shows that Harry understands what Dumbledore has been telling him about the power of love ... Harry knows his folks are all right on the other side, and he doesn't want Voldy to suffer for what he did, he wants even the evil villain to be able to show remorse and have his soul put back together. I love that.

bookworm said:
I wasn't at all happy with the way Voldemort died, but I still enjoyed the movie a lot! I cried watching the movie, as I cried when reading the book
Completely agree, I felt the same way.

Everyone cried... I was at the cinema a few days ago, and there was this huge group of kids dressed in Hogwarts uniforms. ^.^ It was epic. :D

Sorry for double posting....but I just saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 ....for the third time!!!!!:D

Do you mean that you can actually go on the Pottermore site, and like, play Pottermore? Because if you do, well, Imma soooo jealous...

I've only seen it once. *sniffle* I want to see it in 2D though.

Do you mean that you can actually go on the Pottermore site, and like, play Pottermore? Because if you do, well, Imma soooo jealous...

I've only seen it once. *sniffle* I want to see it in 2D though.

No, I was mistaken. I can't wait to get in though!

I've seen it in 3D twice, and 2D once. I love the Harry Potter 3D glasses they gave us. I still have mine. :D

IM IN POTTERMORE!!!!! Yeah!!! And I got put into Griffindor. A bit of a surprise, I thought that I would be a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. My wand if holly and Phoenix feather, like Harry's ... (diffident length and firmness though) PM me if you want to add me as a friend there...

Is Harry Potter just for Entertainment?

I have never watched or read any of the Harry Potter series because I was turned away from the witchcraft and the fact the Harry Potter (in one of the books I think) comes back from the dead or something...?

In recent months I considered reading the first book to see what the deal is but I wanted to know...

Is Harry Potter just for Entertainment? or do the books have a "deeper" meaning that is not so good? Are they worth reading? What is the Philosophy behind the books (i.e. any good morals like in Narnia) that I should be aware of?

I'll probably need to stay out of this thread, because I am very opinionated on this topic and will likely get angry if I engage in a debate. However, I'm posting here to offer a link to an article with links to other articles and videos which you may find beneficial.

Interestingly, another Christian author came to the complete opposite conclusion, and has even published a book called Looking for God in Harry Potter. So, the question is not so clear-cut as one might think.

Have you read the Potter series?

Someone who monitors these things better than I, let me know if this thread should be folded into the "Everything Harry Potter" thread.

I'm not going to go into my thoughts on this because I, too, don't want to get angry.

I'll instead take what my (once) homeschooled, 20 year old, christian, harry potter LOVING friend has said on the subject in the past.

The Harry Potter world is an alternate universe from ours. It's a world where magic exits and is, in a way excepted in culture and society. It has a history of wizards to the point where it is completely and utterly NORMAL for them to exist.

As long as one takes that into account when reading then I think nothing's harmful about them at all.

My friend wasn't allowed to read the books until she was 15, once she started she, as said, didn't see anything harmful. Wasn't shocked by them, nor did she feel pulled to believe them as law.

My cousin, my age, conservative and homeschooled was under similar ban until this past month. He's wolfed down the first 5 books in that span of time and seems to enjoy them a lot.

I'm not going to go into my thoughts on this because I, too, don't want to get angry.

I'll instead take what my (once) homeschooled, 20 year old, christian, harry potter LOVING friend has said on the subject in the past.

The Harry Potter world is an alternate universe from ours. It's a world where magic exits and is, in a way excepted in culture and society. It has a history of wizards to the point where it is completely and utterly NORMAL for them to exist.

As long as one takes that into account when reading then I think nothing's harmful about them at all.

My friend wasn't allowed to read the books until she was 15, once she started she, as said, didn't see anything harmful. Wasn't shocked by them, nor did she feel pulled to believe them as law.

My cousin, my age, conservative and homeschooled was under similar ban until this past month. He's wolfed down the first 5 books in that span of time and seems to enjoy them a lot.

That's exactly what I thought when I finally decided to read them. The closest thing I found pertaining to witchcraft was crystal-ball gazing, but it's depicted in such a silly way that even most of the students don't take it seriously. I honestly don't know why Christians got all riled about the series in the first place. The series is pure fantasy written for a fun reading experience for all ages.

Speaking from my own personal experience with reading/watching the series, Harry Potter is not evil or dangerous. In fact, I would say that it is quite the opposite. Every since I started reading them as a kid, the books have taught me to value friendship, loyalty, and love. For me, it was never about the witchcraft. I would compare the witchcraft to the magical elements of Narnia (i.e. the talking animals). The reality is that those elements are of little importance when you think about why you are actually reading the books or watching the movies. I guarantee that the majority of Harry Potter fans would not cite the witchcraft as the main reason that they are interested in the series.

As PotW pointed out, there are many people who find very clear Christian messages in the Harry Potter series. Those messages aren't hard to find, either. In fact, the main themes of the stories revolve around love, sacrifice, and the victory of light over darkness.

Harry Potter is an extremely well crafted story that is very humorous, appealing, and engaging. However, I would not say that the series is for pure entertainment. There are very deep philosophical components that are presented throughout the books and the movies. But they are all very positive and valuable, especially when considered in a Christian light. Coming from someone who is puts her faith above everything else but also appreciates good works of fiction, I would definitely encourage you to try reading the series.

Back