The Nymph Who Captured His Heart

Twilight

Push the curtain of green, lush leaves aside, careful, mind you, and step into the world of the Nymphs. Meet Nianna, a nymph living in the forest nigh to Cair Paravel, who hums her days away while selecting flowers to adorn her hair.

What happens to her peaceful world when someone very new--very different--enters?

nianna.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! :)

The flowers were beautiful. They were surrounding the glade in which I lived, every colour of the rainbow galore. I hummed to myself, picking a few large ones and carefully setting them in my hair. Bending over the river, I looked at my reflection. No, the pink flowers were too big in my raven black tresses. I sighed and plucked them out, ready to try some smaller yellow ones.

As my hand reached up, cheerful noises and babbles reached my ears. I nearly jumped in surprise and leapt behind a rock covered in twining ivy. Carefully peeking from behind it, I caught sight of four human children. 'Children' may not have been the right word--in fact, only one looked like a child, though she seemed as though she were on her way to become a young lady.

One in particular caught my eye; he had slightly long brownish-blonde hair that wisped about his face. He was tall and looked the same age as me (if I were human, that is). Eyeing him curiously, I took a tentative step forwards, and then shrank back as the younger boy swept the area where I was.

With a quick motion, I leapt with ease behind another boulder so he wouldn’t be able to spot me. Those dark eyes seemed too serious and too critical for my liking. Their voices were not getting farther or closer, but I nimbly sprang over a few stones away from them, dropping my yellow flowers in the process.

Once again, I peeked out. I could only see the edge of a brightly hued dress whirling around accompanied with contagious giggling. This made me giggle as well, as nymphs love to laugh. That’s why I wondered why I wasn’t joining them. Maybe it was the darkness I sensed in that boy, even though it wasn’t bad darkness—it was a darkness that would forever linger there but wasn’t exactly negative.

The older boy with the blonde hair trotted over to the place near where I was hiding. He bent down and picked up the yellow flowers, staring at them, intrigued. Straightening up, he looked around, but I don’t think he saw anything. If he did, all he would have seen was two bright green eyes staring back at him.

Last edited:
Wonderful! Post more!! :) This almost sounds like my story too, One Day as a Human. Only mine is about a Dryad.

TrueNarnian said:
Wonderful! Post more!! :) This almost sounds like my story too, One Day as a Human. Only mine is about a Dryad.

Thankies! Ooo, that's cool. I'll try to check it out later. ;)

Natasia_Vae said:
It's very good! :)

I'm glad you like it!

Pollywannabe said:
that's really good! write some more!

Thank you, I will try to write more when I can. :)

SaffronRose said:
it's awesome, post soon!

:D Here's another post. Sorry it's short, I'll try to get more in next post:

The next day, I was outside, frolicking with my fellow nymph friends. “Did you see those four humans the other day?” I asked them casually, plucking a flower from a cluster on the ground.

They shook their heads, curls swaying with the slight breeze. “Look’s like Nianna’s daydreaming again,” Vaele teased, giving me a bright smile. She twirled a blossom on her finger. “How old were they, anyways?”

I shrugged. “Two of them, a boy and a girl, looked our age. The other boy and girl were younger.”

“A boy our age?” Lua inquired, nudging my arm. “So perhaps you have been daydreaming about him!”

The glade was filled with ringing laughter.

“No,” I protested, turning a slight shade of pink at their bantering. I giggled nonetheless. “He’s human, after all.”

Lua told me, “Humans can be very nice, you know. The Kings and Queens of Narnia are human, and from what I’ve heard, they’re good rulers.”

“They’ve been ruling for four years now,” Vaele added knowledgably. My group of friends and I didn’t know very much of the current events; often we were too much in our own little world of birds and flowers to notice.

TrueNarnian said:
Your a great Writer. :) Post some more.

*blushes* Thanks, I'm just glad y'all like it. Here's another postie!

There he was. It was the boy who’d caught my eye earlier. I glanced at him curiously, wondering if he was lost; he was by himself, after all. There was something in his stride, though, that made him look confident.

A few moments passed and he didn’t notice me, so I decided to pipe up. “Excuse me, do you need any help?” I flounced towards him, the small blossoms in my waves bouncing with every stride I took.

His eyes lit up when he saw me. “Oh, hello there.” In his hands were the yellow flowers I’d dropped previously. I looked at them, cocking my head.

“Hi. I’m Nianna the Nymph.” I smiled at him. “What’s your name?”

He seemed a bit surprised at my forwardness, but grew accustomed to my chitchat. “You’re a Nymph? I’ve never met one before!” he mused. “Very pleased to meet you. I’m Peter,” he introduced, sticking out his hand as if he expected me to latch on.

Staring at his hand, perplexed, I held up the flowers I was holding in my hands.

Peter laughed, eyes twinkling, and dropped his hand. “I forgot. Here in Narnia shaking hands isn’t done…” he chuckled to himself. “I was actually trying to find where these flowers came from.”

“Oh, I can tell you that. I pick them all the time,” I informed him, then paused. “Your name’s Peter? Isn’t that the name of the King of Narnia?” I recalled Vaele’s words when she shared her wisdom with me.

Peter sort of gawked at me for a moment, and then nodded with a little laugh. I decided that I liked it when he laughed. It was so genuine and hardy. “Yeah. Yeah, I do have the same name as the King of Narnia.” There was a look of amusement in his eyes.

“That’s neat!” I exclaimed, beaming.

He gave me a shaky smile. “Yeah, funny how it works.” His gaze went back to the flowers in his hand. “These flowers are really beautiful; I don’t know why they drew my attention or anything; flowers aren’t really a guy thing, if you know what I mean.”

I cocked my head. “It isn’t? All the make nymphs I know adore flowers, though not as much as us girls.”

Raising his eyebrows in surprised, Peter commented, “Hmm…that’s interesting. I guess the different races in Narnia have their different ways, eh?”

Nodding in agreement, I asked, “So, where are you from?”

He paused, as if considering what to say. Finally, he waved a hand vaguely in the direction of Cair Paravel. “I live over there,” he told me. He changed the subject quickly. “I take it you live in the forest?”

I nodded cheerfully. “Yes, I live wherever in the forest I wish. It’s great fun, of course.”

“I’ll be it is,” he replied with a grin. He squinted up at the sky, which was bathing us in reddish light; night was quickly approaching. “Well, I’d better go,” he told me, drumming his fingers on the flowers. “It was nice meeting you.”

“Alright. Bye!” I gave him a jovial wave as he walked away, his feet sinking slightly into some moss. As I turned to go back to the ‘home’ I had, his voice called out to me.

“Would it be okay if I visited you again?” he asked, more like shouted, since I could barely make his figure out; he was a fast walker, that one.

I grinned. “Of course! If you can’t find me, look for yellow flowers.”

pink-cheetah: Hee hee, I'm glad you like it. Yup, you spelled it right. ;)

TrueNarnian:*blushes more* Wow, I'm honored! Thank you so much!

Pollywannabe:Thanks. :)

<Turkish Delight>:Merci! I will try to write more, perhaps one for later today. For sure I will have a post by tomorrow evening.

Another post, as promised.

Rain pattered gently on the leaves, sprinkling down on me. My hair was soaked, but I didn’t mind; the rain was warm, anyways. I could see dark curls of hair dangling in front of my eyes.

I sighed. Peter hadn’t visited yesterday. I’d waited for him the whole day, but he hadn’t showed. He was a very mysterious boy. What could have kept him from the forest? Perhaps he had chores to do. Humans—they always had to work, didn’t they?

“Why are you looking so down, Nianna?” Vaele asked, bouncing towards me, water droplets spraying in all directions.

My eyes were focused far away. “He…he hasn’t come yet.” My lip quivered. Had he forgotten about me already?

“Oh, Nianna,” Vaele cooed, sitting beside me and patting my black tendrils. “You’re being ever so silly. Did Peter even say the specific day he was going to come back to visit you?”

Pausing for a moment, I honestly considered her question. Once I looked back, I didn’t recall him telling me personally when he would visit again—he just said he would. “You’re too wise, Vaele.” A reluctant smile crept to my mouth. “But I like it.”

Wrapping her arms around me in a wet hug, Vaele smiled into my hair. “You’re so innocent, Nianna.” After a moment, she added, “I guess all nymphs are. We’re young and innocent and naïve.”

I closed my eyes, letting the lessening raindrops fall on my eyelids. Soon, they stopped all together, and the sun broke through the clouds.

Back