What are you reading II

Canticle for Leibowitz -- I'm half way through and I still don't really understand what's going on!

I loved that book. It's very...different. In a good way.

The end is really important to make sense of the main point. Hopefully it will become clearer eventually. :)

I just finished Love Alone Is Credible by Hans Urs von Balthasar and need to go back and finish Augustine's Confessions.

Red Dragon, by Thomas Harris, the first book in the Hannibal series.

I've been in kind of what I call a "reading rut" lately, where I couldn't find anything I really wanted to read/couldn't get into anything I tried to read, and this seems to have gotten me out of it -- I've been reading it every night for about a week and I'm almost done! (Not a big deal for most, but I'm usually a really slow reader -- I like to take a while to read the book and really live with the story and the characters for while.) I have all the books ordered and on their way to my house...I'm pretty excited!!

I'm working on "The Silence of the Lambs" at the moment. It's not as exciting if you've seen the movie already because the movie sticks so close to the book, but still a thrill to read.

When I Was a Child I Read Books by Marilynne Robinson. It's not really biographical, unlike what I initially thought, but her essays on Moses are really great.

Canticle for Leibowitz by Miller --because my son really loves this I picked up a free copy during clean up after a Friends of the Library book sale. It took me a loooooonnnnnggg time to get into this trilogy of scifi novellas in one book, but the last story at least made me care about the characters. Note: this is One Sad, Dystopic Read but with a twist of Hope. Also it affirms the importance of books and preserving knowledge.

Dog is My Co-Pilot (well-written collection of stories from Bark magazine). Interestingly enough, this book, so very different from Canticle, was given to me by my son. It is quite enjoyable and light.

I am reading for the second time “Arch of Triumph” of Erich Maria Remarque. One of my favorite writers, even though it breaks my heart to read about th WWI. I enjoy reading biographies as well and Remarque has quite an impressive one; found out that he liked old manors and collected antiques. He spent his last years in this villa in Switzerland https://tranio.com/switzerland/adt/1628216/, now it is for sale. Someone will buy a piece of history!

I just read "That Hideous Strength" again to detox from Lovecraft. However, I'm still not even halfway through Lovecraft's works, so I'm going to have to find more upbeat books about how we're not alone in the universe but the aliens are cool guys.

Also, I'm reading comic books. Just finished off a crossover between Superman, Super Sons, and the Teen Titans. Probably the best crossover that's happened since I started reading comics.

now reading The Man Who Invented Christmas by Les Standiford. It's been a fascinating read so far, about how Charles Dickens came to write A Christmas Carol. The movie is good too! ;)

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. In which the devil gets loose in Soviet Russia, where no one believes in him....

Now I've started reading Leia: Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray.

I've challenged myself to read at least 50 books in 2018, or all of my unread lists (digital and print), whichever comes first (which I think at least number 50 if I were to tally them up). So far, I'm on book #3 so I think I have a pretty good shot at making that happen!

Finished Leia. Now on to "Risen", which is the book version of the movie. It's okay. I guess. Wasn't real fond of the movie but I was hoping the book would be better.

Was it any good? My older sister loves Leia, so if it's good, I may have to try to get a copy for her.

I really enjoyed it. I felt it was a good preface to the Leia we meet in Ep. 4, and why she seemed so fearless. It also includes some references to characters/planets from The Last Jedi, so that's a bonus. I'm hoping to read Bloodlines sometime, because I've heard it's really good as well!

Back