The Lord of the Rings- J.R.R. Tolkien

I just finished The Return of the King last night. I must say that overall the trilogy is very well-written, very detailed, and filled with some good messages. One thing I especially noted while reading the trilogy, and especially Return of the King, was that Tolkien wrote the books as if he were writing a script for a movie. He was that detailed. And then of course the timeline he gives in the huge appendix at the back of RotK was very helpful.

I think I would very much enjoy reading his books on the Lost Tales. Just reading some of his backstory info on the Numenoreans and other happenings after the land fell into the sea were VERY interesting. Of course I'm a history freak, so what else can I say?

Susan Rocks, as a child I grew up listening to the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit on book on tape. If you are still interested in knowing what is in the books, though not ready to read them for yourself, they are a great resource.

Wow, I read the trilogy and the hobbit a couple years back. Now, what's really a mouthful is the Silmarillion. The first half is incredibly boring and about music. It's never really as exciting as LOTR; it's like a documentary.

I always forget when i'm at the Library. It's ok maybe it will be some of my summer reading.
I read the books for the first time when i was 11 or 12? i can't remember?

I actually likes LOTR better then Narnia. I´ve read the books 5 times, 3 times in norwegian and 2 times in english:D

I love Lord of the rings and Middle Earth. I've actually been watching Lord of the rings and Narnia for ideas for my own series. :)

The lord of the Rings is half of what inspired me to write my fantasy series, or should I say it boosted my affection for fantasy a whole bunch. It's cool to hear LadyAlicia wants to start her own, I am so for that and I encourage it. If you want ideas you can go here to this forum: http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16001

The lord of the Rings is half of what inspired me to write my fantasy series, or should I say it boosted my affection for fantasy a whole bunch. It's cool to hear LadyAlicia wants to start her own, I am so for that and I encourage it. If you want ideas you can go here to this forum: http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16001

Hey, that's cool. I think a great number of book series got me into fantasy and it all started with LWW. :) The Lord of the Rings trilogy is truly top-notch in fantasy and I can't wait for The Hobbit to come out in theaters!
Hey, have you seen the extended scenes of LOTR? They are awesome!
Btw, I like your siggy.

Hey, that's cool. I think a great number of book series got me into fantasy and it all started with LWW. :) The Lord of the Rings trilogy is truly top-notch in fantasy and I can't wait for The Hobbit to come out in theaters!
Hey, have you seen the extended scenes of LOTR? They are awesome!
Btw, I like your siggy.

I've seen all extended editions for LOTR. They make the movie far more LOTR if you ask me. Seeing the extended editions and then going back to the originals, it's just, too say it strait and plain, the extended editions are so much better than the original.
I don't know if they're going to make The Hobbit into a movie. I've only heard rumors.

I am especially glad that the expanded LOTR movies gave more screen time to Faramir. The theatrical-release versions pushed him into the background, but Faramir is actually an important character. Just as Gandalf is "Saruman as Saruman should have been," so Faramir in a way is Boromir as Boromir should have been (not to say that Boromir is equally blameworthy for his failure as Saruman is for his willfully-chosen treason).

Joseph Ravitts, author of fanfic "Southward the Tigers"

I've seen all extended editions for LOTR. They make the movie far more LOTR if you ask me. Seeing the extended editions and then going back to the originals, it's just, too say it strait and plain, the extended editions are so much better than the original.
I don't know if they're going to make The Hobbit into a movie. I've only heard rumors.

Yeah, the extended editions are super long, but they make it at so much better trilogy. The movies make more sense and there's a lot more history and humor scenes added.
I like the Ent-draft scene where Pippin groes taller from drinking the Ent-draft. That's really funny. Also the one where Merry and Pippin discover Saruman's storeroom in the flood. LOL

Copperfox, I know exactly what you mean. Faramir is one of the best characters. You really relate to him more with the extended edition of the trilogy. I just really feel sorry for him that he felt he couldn't be as great as his brother. Their father was evil! Choosing favorites...

It's nice if you can see the extended editions for FOTR and ROTK, but not comepletely necessary. TT, however - well, if you don't watch the extended, you might as well not watch it at all.

Back