the hag's chant

MrBob

The chant the hag gives to resurrect Jadis is not just random. It is part of a love song in Arabic.

Here is a video of the chant and the specific part of the song. While the full song can be found here.

MrBob

For sure, the majority of Arabic speakers would be kind of put off if they realized that Mister Lewis, by his own telling, intended Aslan to BE Jesus Christ -- not merely a hint of a suggestion of a metaphor of a parable of a likeness of an analogy of someone slightly resembling Jesus, but the ACTUAL Jesus, and this Jesus being Almighty God.

Personally, I would love to know how they decided that this Arabic love song would be perfect for an evil chant. Anyone else wish they were a fly on the wall for that meeting?

It was probably the actress' own idea. Her father was Syrian so she likely knew Arabic and knew that song.

MrBob

Someone in comments section of the YouTube scene said that if you watch the movie with the director's and actor's comments, they give the answer there as to why they used this song.

BarbarianKing said:
Someone in comments section of the YouTube scene said that if you watch the movie with the director's and actor's comments, they give the answer there as to why they used this song.
I just checked this out. The explanation given on the commentary is that the actress created the chant herself, mixing bits of Czech (her native language) with bits of an Arabic nursery rhyme she remembered from when she was a child. No mention of it being a love song, though.

Peeps

Last edited:
I'm reminded of the TV production company for Xena, Warrior Princess using the Bulgarian language for a song, purely because it sounded good.

Back