The Bird and the Baby/Who's been to Eagle and Child

tgraveline

Harley Quinn *growls*
Knight of the Noble Order
Emeritus
The Eagle and Child

Now has anyone been there? Is it still there in Oxford? I ask because I think I would like to visit it someday possibly. Is it even open to the public to go into and whatnot?

tg

this was the pub where the inklings met, correct? i believe it went by some other name too.

yeah this is the pub. I've heard that it is within Oxford University too, so i'm not really a hundred percent sure on all of this.

tg

I would assume it was still there, although it probably gets swamped with Tolkien fanatics on a regular basis- I'm sure it's just like any other pub in Oxford- small, smokey with really badly upholstered seats. If you go into any traditional pub in the uK you can get the idea!

but there might be some paranormal wisdon within those walls that i could use, lol.

tg

ha ha! It is still open apparently- I have a friend who lives near Oxford who confirmed this, it's fairly popular with the students in the area but apparently the bar is quite small which makes getting served a bit tricky.

As regards what Milton said it was also known as the Bird and Baby!

You think it will be tricky for a good looking fellow like myself to get a drink at the bar? If your answer is yes, you are sorely mistaken and that red mark on you face in the shape of a hand is your punishment. If you said no, then you get a nice kiss from me or a buttslap, depending on what you want from me.

tg

*evil stare at tg* kisses or buttslaps? Do you do that with every girl? Your answer better be no or you'll be having the red marks accross your face.
And you threaten a lady to get slapped accross the face? I'm shocked!!

Last edited:
It's probably quite dark in there. (that is my only answer. I want to avoid violence/harassment/abuse etc)

yes the Eagle and the Child is still there and in fact they've put up a little memorial plaque that just says something to the effect of "this is where the Inklings held their meetings, the Inklings including C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien" something like that. I haven't gotten around to going there but was able to find that out with a bit of clever websurfing.

I was there in October!!!:)) I was very happy to see this place, to see tables and chairs, where the Inkilngs were sitting and speaking about their books. People were very astonish, when I was there inside and went around the pub, reading and watching everything (with big smile), what was there about the writers - some notes, fotos and something like that!
I was in cementary, where Tolkien is buried and I saw his house...I felt very, very happy and wonderfully because od seeing it.but it is different story;)

very very cool, i plan to see the pub in may, i'm going to travel europe some more again this may so we are going to london for a few days, so i'm gonna ditch the group and maybe someone will want to come with me, but i'm gonna go see the pub and maybe meet a friend i promised to meet someday, lol.

tg

Hi I´m new. :)
I´ve been to Oxford about one and a half week ago. It was a Sunday and I didn´t get much of a chance to see the universities, but I´ve seen the Eagle and Child. I liked it, although as someone already stated the bar is pretty small, but somehow it gave me a nice and comfortable feeling. + me as a Tolkien AND CS Lewis fan... cool feeling to know who sat where I was standing *gapes in awe* I´ve also been to the cemetry you mentioned, Yenn. Don´t want to go offtopic here but I think I pretty well undestand what you mean here.

Oh yeah. The house where Tolkein used to live, and I think wrote some of his books, is right near my school. Thats probably my only claim to fame I'll ever have. I think some of the scenery in the books was inspired by an area to the north of where I live called the Yorkshire Dales. I read it all on a plaque in a building nearby but I cant remember everything it said.

I know this probably isn't the right place to post this, but I couldn't find a better spot. Sorry!

Bird and Baby

Hey,
I'm going on a trip to Europe in June, starting out in Scotland. I'm going to stay three nights around Oxford, though, as well, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for Tolkien/Lewis related places I should go while I'm there. I'm already planning on visiting the Bird an Baby - and taking lots of pictures. :)

I doubt you'd being able to sneeze in Oxford without coming across one of the two! I'm more partial to Cambridge myself, but that's only coz I leave nearish to it, and the shops are really good!
If anyone's interested Oxford won the boat race this year (although someone told me that both teams were made up of Canadians and Australians, strange??)

Yeh the Cambridge team did rubbish in that race. Btw, what do Americans call rowing cos someone said rowing in America is shouting. It is too in England but its rowing aswell. Hmmmm... I'm sure that doesn't make sense outside my head but never mind!

Huh? in the US rowing is known as shouting, and the same over here? when did that happen? was i asleep when this decision was taken??!

Yeh as in we had a row. But Im sure some one said that in America rowing is only having a row and rowing in a boat is something else. Hmmm.. maybe I imgined it. Its been a long day :(

Back