Peepiceek's Odd-One-Out Quiz

Peepiceek

I have previously put some 'odd one out' questions in the Narnia trivia thread. However, they are perhaps a little bit too taxing to be counted as 'trivia', so I have decided to start a thread devoted specially to them. They require a bit of thought: the odd one out is not chosen completely at random, but has a connection with the other three. To find the odd one out you must first identify the connection that all four clues share, but then notice that one of them is connected in a slightly different way from the others. The clues I select are intended to be quite specific, so that only the clues selected could have been used (or perhaps two or three others); there will not be a dozen other clues that could have been selected, so the answer will not be 'Characters who appear in Prince Caspian' or 'Characters from another world', for example.

Here are some examples that I have already posted in Narnia Trivia to give you the idea.

Example 1:

(a) "I don't mind two, not when they're little ones. But I hope the Elephant doesn't want to come as well."
(b) "Easily in but not easily out, as the lobster said in the lobster pot!"
(c) "Your Majesty, and all you variety of creatures, I think we must fly east and down the river to the great woods."
(d) "Sire, when you have heard my news you will be sorrier of my coming than of the greatest woe that ever befell you."

The connection here is 'creatures that can fly'. Three of the clues (a, b and d) are spoken by creatures that can fly (Fledge, Sallowpad and Farsight respectively), but (c) suggests flying but is spoken by a creature that can’t fly (Doctor Cornelius)

Example 2:

(a) The Hammer
(b) The Magician
(c) The Ship
(d) The Leopard

The connection here is 'Narnian stars'. The Hammer, the Ship and the Leopard are all Narnian constellations. The Magician is not a constellation, although Coriakin the Magician was a Narnian star at rest, so (b) is the correct answer.

Example 3:

(a) albatross
(b) cat
(c) lamb
(d) man

The connection here is 'forms taken by Aslan'. Aslan appears as an albatross, a cat and a lamb. He does not appear as a man, but Lucy and Bree both think that he is a man before they meet him.

Here are some more for you to enjoy. Some are easier than others. Happy puzzling!

Peeps

(PS Although I called it ‘Peepiceek’s Odd One Out Quiz’, I’d love for other people to make their own questions and add them here too!)

#1. -- Solved by Aravis Kenobi - see post #16 of this thread
(a) Lilith
(b) Aslan
(c) Tash
(d) Caspian the Conqueror

#2. -- Solved by Trufflehunterthebadger - see post #80 of this thread
(a) “Ours is a high and lonely destiny.”
(b) Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
(c) “You will find writing on a stone in that ruined city, and you must do what the writing tells you.”
(d) “He’s not a tame lion.”

#3. -- Solved by BarbarianKing - see post #31 of this thread
(a) Frank
(b) Edmund
(c) Cor
(d) Caspian

#4. -- Answer revealed by Peepiceek - see post #87 of this thread
(a) A banquet that surpassed those of Peter’s court at Cair Paravel
(b) Some rich brown loam
(c) A fine meal after the Calormene fashion
(d) Some cold venison

#5. -- Solved by Trufflehunterthebadger - see post #76 of this thread
(a) Aslan
(b) One of Lord Bar’s knights
(c) Bree
(d) Reepicheep

#6. -- Solved by Trufflehunterthebadger - see post #71 of this thread
(a) "We must join King Caspian at once."
(b) "I wish to goodness we'd never come."
(c) "Oh, if only I had never left Cair Paravel."
(d) "We've simply got to get off this island."

#7. -- Solved by BarbarianKing - see post #64 of this thread
(a) A cab-horse
(b) A mountain with two peaks
(c) A rose bush
(d) A golden statue

#8. -- Solved by BarbarianKing - see post #58 of this thread
(a) Duffle, Rogin and Bricklethumb
(b) Trumpkin
(c) The Seven Brothers of Shuddering Wood
(d) Griffle

#9. -- Solved by Elendil - see post #11 of this thread
(a) Men, Monks and Gamekeepers; a Study in Popular Legend
(b) Grammatical garden or the Arbour of Accidence pleasantlie open’d to Tender Wits
(c) Nymphs and Their Ways
(d) The Life and Letters of Silenus

#10. -- Solved by Laurel - see post #3 of this thread
(a) Rabadash
(b) The Lapsed Bear of Stormness
(c) Ginger
(d) Reepicheep’s people

#11. -- Solved by BarbarianKing - see post #118 of this thread
(a) Lord Sopespian
(b) The Queen of Underland (in her serpent form)
(c) Corradin of Castle Tormunt
(d) Puzzle the donkey

#12. -- Solved by Trufflehunterthebadger - see post #82 of this thread
(a) Ilgamuth
(b) Prince Rilian (before he was disenchanted)
(c) Queen Swanwhite
(d) The daughter of the Duke of Galma

#13. -- Solved by Animus Wyrmis - see post #49 of this thread
(a) “Go away, you little beasts.”
(b) “We are all waiting to cut off our own tails if our Chief must go without his.”
(c) “If these creatures mean to bring us to battle, be sure they will succeed.”
(d) “Drink, Sire, and then you’ll find you are able to eat.”

#14. -- Solved by Animus Wyrmis - see post #49 of this thread
(a) The tree that grew from Uncle Andrew’s half crowns.
(b) The easternmost sea of the world
(c) Trumpkin’s ear-trumpet
(d) The chair on which Rilian was restrained

#15. -- Solved by Benisse - see post #158 of this thread
(a) The White Witch’s house
(b) The Stone Table
(c) The stable in The Last Battle
(d) The Garden with the Tree of Youth in it

#16. -- Solved by Animus Wyrmis and Mr Bob - see post #171 and #173 of this thread
(a) Susan and Lucy
(b) Arsheesh
(c) Lucy
(d) Tirian, Eustace and Jill

#17. -- Solved by Trufflehunterthebadger - see post #85 of this thread
(a) The Hall of Black Marble
(b) The Hall of Images
(c) The Hall of Pillars
(d) The Hall of Statues

#18. -- Solved by Trufflehunterthebadger - see post #83 of this thread
(a) “The D.L.F. had better steer, and Ed and I will take an oar each.”
(b) “When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle.”
(c) “We’re back on the right lines. We were to go under the ruined city, and we are under it.”
(d) “The Lion’s orders, Sire. Aslan himself.”

#19. -- Solved by BarbarianKing - see post #117 of this thread
(a) Digory to Uncle Andrew
(b) Susan to Lucy
(c) Rabadash to the Tisroc
(d) Miraz to Glozelle

#20. -- Solved by BarbarianKing - see post #100 of this thread
(a) King Frank’s crown
(b) The golden chessman
(c) Lord Octesian’s bracelet
(d) The fruit of the trees of Bism

#21. -- Solved by Animus Wyrmis - see post #121 of this thread
(a) Digory
(b) Aravis
(c) Corin (and Cor, technically)
(d) Rilian

#22. -- Solved by Trufflehunterthebadger - see post #108 of this thread
(a) One of the giants on the Narnian side at the battle of Anvard
(b) One of the Telmarine soldiers sent to execute Trumpkin
(c) Roonwit the Centaur
(d) The horses in The Last Battle

#23. -- Solved by Mr Bob - see post #132 of this thread
(a) Valiant
(b) Great
(c) Peacemaker
(d) Gentle

#24. -- Solved by Hermit of Archenland - see post #137 of this thread
(a) “One who has waited long for you to speak.”
(b) “That you have, that you have. No-one couldn’t have left it out cleaner and better.”
(c) “What make you here, creatures of the Overworld?”
(d) “Can’t you see the sky and the trees and the flowers? Can’t you see me?"

#25. -- Solved by Hermit of Archenland - see post #138 of this thread
(a) Mr Beaver
(b) Puddleglum
(c) The Sea People
(d) Arsheesh

Last edited:
(a) Rabadash
(b) The Lapsed Bear of Stormness
(c) Ginger
(d) Reepicheep’s people

D is the answer. Rabadash, the Lapsed Bear, and Ginger all lost the power to speak at some point. However, Reepicheep's people used to not be able to talk, and then began to be Talking Mice after chewing through the cords binding Aslan on the Stone Table.

Correct, Laurel. Well done!

Mozart - You fell into my trap! I know I said some were easier than others, but I'm afraid none of them are quite that easy. The people I have chosen in the questions are very specifically chosen - if it was just Kings of Narnia there would have been loads of others I could have put in the question, so it would be far too general for this quiz!

#3 is pretty tough so I'll give you a clue. As you guessed, it is to do with being kings - sort of. The only clue I could have replaced for the question still to work would be if I replaced the odd one out with Rilian. That might help!

Peeps

Last edited:
#1.
(a) Lilith
(b) Aslan
(c) Tash

Now this one is tricky. I can come up with something for all of them.

a) Lilith is the only one who never set foor in Narnia
b) Aslan is the only "good guy" on the list
c) Tash is the only one who did not start or restart a civilization
d) Caspian is the only non-deistic being of the four

MrBob

Mozart - You fell into my trap! I know I said some were easier than others, but I'm afraid none of them are quite that easy. The people I have chosen in the questions are very specifically chosen - if it was just Kings of Narnia there would have been loads of others I could have put in the question, so it would be far too general for this quiz!

#3 is pretty tough so I'll give you a clue. As you guessed, it is to do with being kings - sort of. The only clue I could have replaced for the question still to work would be if I replaced the odd one out with Rilian. That might help!

Peeps

I know the answer to this but since Mozy attempted it first, she has the option of trying again (yeah, still has to do with "Kings."

#1.
(a) Lilith
(b) Aslan
(c) Tash

MrBob
Yeah, but which one is the odd one out?

#1.
(a) Lilith
(b) Aslan
(c) Tash

MrBob
None of those are right, I'm afraid (in fact, with the exception of (a), they are all debatable points anyway - Caspian is not necessarily a bad guy, Tash may well have been a the founder of Calormen, and Lilith isn't a god). Remember, you need to start by working out the common theme. This one is quite tricky. Here's a clue - I could perhaps have repaced the odd one out with 'Tirian'.

Peeps

It looks like people are finding these quite tricky, but nobody is attempting the easiest ones! Here are some hints, starting with the ones I think are easiest to get and moving down to the hardest ones.

#9 – I reckon this is probably the easiest, if you know LWW reasonably well.
#5 – Also fairly straightforward – work out what (b) is about, and the rest should fall into place.
#7 – Slightly trickier, but if you can work out what (a), (b) and (d) are referring to, you’ll be well on the way to solving this one.
#2 – I can’t give a clue that won’t give away the answer, but anyone quite familiar with the books should be able to recognise these phrases.
#8 – You’ll probably need to look this one up (I did), but if you know who the people are and look them up in the books this should become clear.
#4 – Quite tough, but (b) and/or (d) are probably the key – work out where they appear and you will be well on the way.
#6 – You will need to start by working out where each quote is from.
#1 and #3 are tough, but I have already given some clues.

Peeps

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be Caspian because Caspian is the only one who is human on the list? Lilith was a Jinn, Tash was a god, and Aslan was the High King and a Lion. I'm simple-minded so that's about the only thing I can come up with...

Last edited:
(a) and (d) are probably the key to that one because they are only mentioned once each. What do we know about them? Work from that to see how Aslan and Tash might fit. (Remember as well that the odd one out could be replaced with 'Tirian', but I don't think there's anyone else that would easily fit into the list.)

PS - for an even bigger hint, I would suggest that you, Aravis, are the most likely person to see where Tash fits in to this...

Last edited:
#9.
(a) Men, Monks and Gamekeepers; a Study in Popular Legend
(b) Grammatical garden or the Arbour of Accidence pleasantlie open’d to Tender Wits
(c) Nymphs and Their Ways
(d) The Life and Letters of Silenus

These are all books, correct?
A, C & D are from Mr. Tumnuss' bookshelf, whilst B is Caspian's school book?

Well, Lilith was Adam's first wife, a Jinn, and non-human. Tash was the god of the Calormenes with a body of a man, the head of a vulture, and four arms; he also appeared in Aslan's country and was evil...Aslan was non-human, the creator of Narnia, the High King; Caspian was the first Telmarine to conquer Narnia and was human...goodness, I'm just not sure!

Edit: Wait a sec...Lilith was the first, Tash was a first, Aslan was a first, and Caspian was a first...that's another connection. Lilith and Caspian were mentioned only once, so they must not have been terribly important, while Tash and Aslan both have numerous mentions and are more important to the stories. Is that somewhere in the vicinity of the correct answer? :p

#2.
(a) “Ours is a high and lonely destiny.”
(b) Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
(c) “You will find writing on a stone in that ruined city, and you must do what the writing tells you.”
(d) “He’s not a tame lion.”
Is it (a) because it was spoken by the villain?

Is #1 (d)? (because of your hint?)

Aravis - still not there, I'm afraid, though in a way you are getting closer with the 'firsts'. What other relationship does Lilith have? For Tash, check out HHB chapter 3 (beginning of).

Largo - no and no - why would my hint have suggested it was (d) anyway? For #2, it can't be to do with who it was spoken by because (b) is not spoken at all but is narrated (and no, that's not the connection - that would be too obvious!) Where does each of the phrases appear?

Peeps

Last edited:
She also was a giant...and with Tash, Aravis says that her father descended from the line of Tash; Caspian had 9 descendants named after him.

Okay, so Aslan is the odd one out. This might be why: Tash had a line of descendants, Lilith had a line of descendants, and Caspian had a line of descendants. Aslan couldn't have had a line of descendants; He was only the creator of Narnia.

Correct - we got there in the end!
- Lilith is described as an ancestor of the White Witch
- Tash is described as an ancestor of Aravis
- Caspian the Conqueror is described as an ancestor of Caspian X
- Aslan has no descendents but is described as the son of the Emperor-beyond-the-Sea.

We're narrowing them down. I'm surprised no-one has had a go at #5 yet.

Peeps

#5.
(a) Aslan
(b) One of Lord Bar’s knights
(c) Bree
(d) Reepicheep

Well, the first thing I notice is that they're all animals except for b. But since that'd be too easy....They're all warriors except for Aslan; even though Aslan killed the White Witch in battle, he didn't technically fight IN the battle, but Bree, Reepicheep, and Lord Bar's knight all fought in wars. Maybe I can get it in fewer than 5 posts :p

I quite like the solution you proposed, but it's not what I had in mind. Remember, I try to make these fairly specific so that there aren't many other people that could have been included in the question - if it were people who fought in battles, there would be loads I could have chosen from.

Start with Lord Bar's knight. What specifically do we know about him? Then see if any of the few things we know about him are similar to something relating to the others.

Back