My Dreams

I kinda decided that it would be interesting to start writing my dreams. Sometimes they are pretty weird, but always intense and I feel like they make good stories. I'll share them if you want to read about them. :)

I’m running for my life. If you asked me, I wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly what or who I was running from. Or even why I was running. But I knew that if I stopped, it wouldn’t end well for me. It would end but I would be dead. So I ran. Farther and faster than I had ever dreamed was possible. I was in a city, where exactly was unknown to me, but I ran.
The figures behind me were hulking masses of black. I couldn’t make out any features, which was even more terrifying. How I managed to look behind me while running baffled me. I rounded a sharp corner onto yet another long, desolate street that seemed to stretch on forever. Quickly surveying my new route, I chose to stick close to the left side of the road while I ran. There were cars spaced randomly along this side and I figured they would offer a bit of cover if the figures chasing me had weapons they decided to start using. I was almost positive they had weapons.
Suddenly, about halfway up the road, a fourth dark, threatening figure appeared. I glanced to my left and saw a break in the buildings just ahead of me where another road took off. As the new threat closed in, I altered my course and turned down the side street. What met my eyes made me hesitate. A dead end. And it was that second of hesitation that ruined me. My feet were still trying to run, but my brain said no. Confusion and panic swept through my body and I tripped, hitting the asphalt hard. I could feel the gash on my chin before it was even there. It stung like fire. But I didn’t have time to think about that. Being down any longer would surely get me killed.
Faster than should be humanly possible, I was up on my feet again. And running. Running toward a towering brick wall. There was no logical reason to even be running anymore. In front of me was a dead end, behind me were four hulking masses of evil. At least that’s what I had decided they were. It would be the same if I just laid down now and let them take me. But I would not go so easily. Not without a fight. Not without making those creatures work for me. Then I realized I was slowing down.
I had nowhere to run anymore. As soon as I hit the wall, and I literally hit it with agonizing force, it felt like the surrounding buildings began to close in on me. This alley was shrinking, leaving me fewer options by the second. I spun around to see the dark figures were closer to me than they had ever been. They had slowed to a menacing walk, almost a crawl, and it was making the panic in my stomach grow. The walls were closing in on us, making everything feel tight and claustrophobic, on top of staring at death right in the face.
They were in front of me now, two with weapons drawn and the other two reaching for me. This was it. This was the end. And then, strangely, the panic left. A feeling of accomplishment washed over me. I don’t know exactly why, but I suddenly felt as though this was how it was supposed to end. That I had protected someone or something that was more important to me than my own life. And with that knowledge, I smiled in spite of my being terrified. The moment the black arms wrapped around me was the moment that I woke up.

Dreams can be good story starters, sometimes. I had one in 3rd grade that I fit into a longer story later. And then there's Tolkien's dream about a huge wave sweeping over the land--he gave it to Faramir, I think.

I'm pretty sure that it was Faramir, all right.

And I also have had dreams of being chased by monsters. One of the scariest monsters in my nightmares was like a huge walking cactus plant, with very long spikes.

When I was about 6, perhaps a bit older, there was a large white house, a former toll house not far from where I lived, and I had recurring nightmares about the chimney pots from that house coming to life and chasing me! Weird or what?!

Dreams, or nightmares, more likely, about being chased seem common as I have also had those. But Achlee's dream seems uncommon in that towards the end she is at peace. Most people, I hear, wake up in the middle of the chase! :eek:

Back