The Space Trilogy

I've read the first two and stolen a copy of the third one, but I haven't gotten around to reading That Hideous Strength yet. I liked them a lot-- especially the way Lewis wrote the evil thing in Perelandra, like a little whiney kid. That whole thing with the"Ransom?" "What?" "Nothing. ...Ransom?" "WHAT?" "Nothing. ...Ransom?" "WHAT!?" was great.

To wear Ransom down, to drive him crazy, to get him off his guard, I'd imagine.

The first time I read the last one it was kind of - hard (well, I was under ten). The second time I read it I skiped some of the Chap. about Mark. The 3rd time I read it, I went strait through. Point being, Read it a few times; you may start to like it!

Well i've read the first one so far and enjoyed it and its meanings behind it. Its quite interesting really. A good read just need to get to perelandra.

tg

I have read all three, w00t!

Yep, tg, get to perelandra 'cuz it's cool, though i've gotta admit that in the end, um, i like the last one best, yeah, sorta. i like them all a lot, though. actually, i can't make up my mind... get back to me later on that...

wow, faerie, you're the first person I hear of who likes That hideous Strength best. I didn't get past like the hundreth page or so. It's just dragging on for so long and I wondered if there was ever going to be a point. lol! I should give it a shot again some day probably.

That Hideous Strength was my favorite as well! Hooray for someone else who likes it best. So many parts I loved, especially when Mark is put into the room where all of the symmetry is just a little bit off, and it doesn't warp him but makes him better.... and the inclusion of Numenorian mythology! I wonder what Tolkien thought about that.

What does anyone make of the way he plays around with first the Roman mythology and then with the whole Arthurian/Merlin thing?

Actually, HS is more connected with the other two than most people realize. While it takes place on earth instead of in space, HS is the climax of the entire series. Without HS, the series would not communicate the real point of the series.

While my favorite is definately Perelandra, HS is a MUST read. If you are having trouble with it, or getting bogged down with it, I suggest reading The Abolition of Man and then trying HS again. Lewis himself said that HS is the fiction version of AoM.

I agree that HS does not seem to "get to the point" as well as OSP or HS, but I think that is because the "point" is harder to get to. Lewis was dealing with difficult concepts and putting them into words is very difficult. That he was able to do it at all was amazing, and yet he not only put his ideas into words, he did it in a beautiful and captivating way.

All this to say, Read the first two, read HS, then read Abolition of man, then read HS again. You will be amazed at how much more you gain in the second reading (of course, that goes for all good books - hence C.S. Lewis's quote below).

Oh, and just for the record, I, too, LOVE HS :)

Last edited:
Good Lord, I am just trying to read Abolition of Man. It looks such a small book but I haven't been able to finish it in two weeks. I find it very hard to read. All throughout the first part, Men without Chests, I was wondering what point Lewis was actually trying to make. I didn't get it till the end of that chapter. That's kinda unusual for a C.S.Lewis book. I've read a considerable number of his books and I always got his point really quickly. The Abolition of Man is wholly different from any other of his books I read. It really deals with difficult concepts and it seems much less common sense, but way more philosophical, than any other C.S.Lewis book.
But it's good to know that HS and Abolition of Man actually work on the same topic. I've been carrying HS around with me the last couple days meaning to start reading it again. But maybe I'll finish reading the Abolition of Man first and then give HS a second try.

Yes, they are good. They're awesome! Go read them, now, immediately, ha ha! No but really pick 'em up when you can.
The space trilogy has the following books:
Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hiddeous Strength

Other C.S.Lewis books (this is off the top of my head, and I don't claim completeness of this list):
The Screwtape Letters
The Problem of Pain
Surprised by Joy
God in the Dock
The Great Divorce
The Abolition of Man
Mere Christianity
Miracles
A Grief Observed
Till We Have Faces - A Myth Retold
The Chronicles of Narnia ;)

Most of the above I read and I can tell you they are all worth it. So happy reading. There are more C.S.Lewis books, but I don't recall their names now.

Last edited:
oh ha ha, The books are nothing like space books. They do venture out into space a little and both Perelandra and Out of the Silent Planet take place on planets other than earth, but they are nothing like any usual space sci-fi book you could imagine. I don't like those sort of books either. So don't let the title disturb you. They are most excellent books, with quite some adventure and a lot of depth in them, a whole different genre than you may have in mind. So don't be hesitant to pick them up. Hardly anyone would not like them.

Also:
Fernseed and Elephents (don't ask, I havn't read it),
The Case for Christianity,
The Wight< of Glory,
Um... I can't think of any more.

Last edited:
please read pages one and two of this thread. The books have been praised and talked about all over and your question has been asked and answered a couple times already. So you shall find the answer if you read this thread from the beginning.

Back