My Susan Fan Fiction

Gymfan15

Here is a bit of fiction I wrote of Susan after the LB yesterday. Note that I like to the write, but I'm under the impression that I'm not very good at it. lol so I hope you can see through the major flaws to what I meant to say.

Its what I like to think happened to her afterwards. :)

Susan

"In a small room of a brick apartment, located in a bustling section of downtown New York, sat a young woman with her face in her hands, as if to conceal some sort of very private but great grief.

Tears ran unchecked down her face and through her fingers, where they fell onto a much crumpled and tearstained piece of paper, which read:

“Dear Miss Pevensie;

We are sorry to inform you that your brothers Edmund and Peter Pevensie, and your sister Lucy Pevensie was killed in a railroad accident. Your parents and two friends of yours, Eustace Scrub, Jill Pole and the Professor Kirk were also killed in the accident. Our sympathies are with you in this great time of sorrow.

Yours respectively,
__________”

Presently she removed her hands from her eyes to reveal a face that might have been called remarkably pretty if it had not been full of sadness and loss.

“I can’t believe they’re all gone.” Susan whispered to herself. “I just received a letter from Lucy a few days ago!”

Leaning back on the headboard of the bed on which she sat, Susan let her mind drift to the many cherished memories she had of happy times with her brothers and sister.

She remembered the time they had been evacuated to the country during the war, and the gigantic home they had lived in with the kind old Professor and his cranky housekeeper.

There were many, many other happy events and sweet memories that Susan recalled, but try as she might to forget, her thoughts kept returning to the old Wardrobe, and the world which they had fancied to lie beyond it.

She gave a little laugh.

“What silly little games we used to imagine up.”

“But it wasn’t a game, Susan”, a little voice seemed to tell her.

“It really was real.”

When Susan had first become old enough to do all the grown up things that she had looked forward to for so long, she jumped headlong into the delightful life called society. She loved the dazzling parties; the fun conversation and the interesting people. It was all so extremely lovely!

As she became more and more engrossed in parties and what was considered ‘high life’, her conscious would prick her, and remind her that maybe, this wasn’t the life that is very productive or useful.

But she was having too much fun to want to give it up, so in the process of participating whole heatedly in all sorts of not bad, but very foolish and frivolous things, she succeeded in blotting out all the memories of Narnia and her experiences there. She simply did not want to be bothered with anything that might hinder her from enjoying herself to the fullest.

Before, when Lucy and the boys had tried to get her to talk about Narnia, and the wonderful adventures they had had, she would never give it serious thought, and laugh it off.

But now, with this great sorrow forcing her to sit and actually think for the first time in years, the old memories came flooding back, and she realized that it HAD happened. And the first thought that flashed through her mind was,

“Oh, what have I done…”

With this faint cry of remorse and sorrow, she put her head down and wept. Not only had she lost her entire family and some of her dearest friends, but she had forgotten Narnia, and her very very dear friend Aslan himself. What a silly, stupid fool she had been!

What a difference there was in the lives of her brothers and sister, and her own. They hadn’t forgotten Narnia and the lessons it had taught them, while Susan had.

Peter had been a friend of every man, woman and child, and always had stood up for what he believed was right, whether it was the popular opinion or not. He was a fine, respectable man, whom many people mourned deeply.

Edmund had been a protector of the helpless and poor, and was ever waging war against the rich businessmen who would try to unfairly squeeze money out of people who knew no better. And as for Lucy? She had been sunshine of happiness, spreading cheer and goodwill wherever she went. She was as kind and benevolent as a person could be, and was a particular friend of the poor.

And then there was Eustace, and Jill, and the Professor, and Susan’s parents; all good people, who had all lived good lives, and were greatly mourned.

But as for Susan? What had she accomplished, or what was she doing that might warrant her the same deep loss if she was to die suddenly, as so many loved ones around her had?

Susan looked around her cluttered and unfriendly room, trying to decern what several years of frivolous life might have given her.

She had no money to speak of; it had all been wasted on extravagant and useless trifles and a very expensive passage to America, made for no other reason then to enjoy the fine living there.

Her health was poor due to late nights and unwholesome food, and while she was very popular among the people in her ‘set’, they were not true friends.

Her whole room was also cluttered with remnants of one wild flirtation to the next, with all sorts of bits from flower bouquets laid her and there, and all over the floor and chairs were magazines filled with the latest fashions.

Susan had received more “Ode to Beauty” sonnets from desperate lovers then one could count, yet as she sat there and took note of all these things which had been so important to her before, she realized what empty, useless years she had spent. She had absolutely nothing of worth to show for several years of gaiety and frivolity.

“What if I hadn’t stopped believing in Narnia,” Susan mused. “I could have been on that train with them, and then I would also be in…”

Here she stopped as a slight shudder of regret and sadness passed through her as she finished,

“…In Narnia or Aslan’s Land.”

For while she had never been told exactly that this was where they had gone, she just knew. Somethings you just know, without being told.

“To think of all that I missed”. She said, still regretting all the lost years and chances. “I’m never, EVER going to make that mistake again.”

She had forgotten Aslan, but Aslan had not forgotten her, and loved her and welcomed her back with the joy of a father over a prodigal son.

Susan had a feeling that it was too late to ever return to Narnia, but she purposed in her own quiet way to never again forget Aslan, so that someday, she might go to his land where all her family were.

Change is not instantaneous, and Susan did not immediately become an angelic saint who forsook everything that was not entirely righteous and good. Indeed, in the beginning, she did not try to change at all.

But as the weeks went by, she gradually grew more and more dissatisfied with parties and society, and yearned for something more established; something with more potential.

It was not very easy to say good bye to a life that had been her whole world for so long. People whom Susan thought would support her despised her, and with all her loved ones gone, she found it difficult to stick to her decision. But she remembered the very hard lesson that she had learned, and persevered.

Susan finished her education, and took the job of a teacher in a small town of New York, and there she met a man who also knew Aslan by the name that we know him by in our world. They fell in love, and were married.

Susan lived a happy, useful life, always remembering, never forgetting. She conducted herself as a true Queen of Narnia would, and people who walked past her in the street would comment among themselves;

“She could be very well dressed in rags, yet she is the most beautiful and regal woman I have ever seen.”

And often, in the evening times, Susan would gather her own children around her, and tell them a story of an old Professor, a Wardrobe, and a beautiful, mystical land called Narnia."

Hope you enjoyed that, even though it isn't very good. :)

There is only one thing wrong with it...YOUR SELF CONFIDENCE! Your a great writter, and that was a good story. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't write. Instead of thinking you can't do it, and that it isn't any good, think about what you can do to become a better writter. I saw a lot of potential in that piece, you just need to believe in yourself :D

Awwwwwwwwwww....*blushes*...

Maybe its just because I'm a perfectonist...boy oh boy do I see the holes. lol but thanks so much. :)

Gymfan15 said:
Maybe its just because I'm a perfectonist...boy oh boy do I see the holes. lol but thanks so much. :)

It good that you can see holes in your own work Gymfan, it means your a SERIOUS writer and not just someone who'll be conteneted with a first draft! It makes you a better writer - :)

But really that was very good...I like the way she's just sitting there thinking about it all...like after the death of everyone she loves she finally forced to sit back and think about the place she's convinced herself is just makebelieve. You captured Susan very well.

I thought that were excellent. In a very simlilar style to the books too - which is even better.

Well done Gymfan!!!

That was really good!!!!!!!!! *sniff sniff* Publish it! :)!!! I'm sure this whole forum would support you on that!!!!! right?!

lol...y'all are nuts. ;)

You know what was the most depressing thing to write in the whole story? That letter/telegram Susan gets..I mean...'we are sorry to inform you that Lucy, and Peter, and Edmund, and your parents, and the Prophessor, and Eustace, and Jill....finally I just left Polly out...thats too many names.

Gymfan, I am really impressed. I am a writer and editor on my job, so I am used to seeing some really bad writing and trying to fix it. I am ashamed :eek: to say that is kind of what I expected when I opened this thread. But you blew me away! That was a terrific story, and you are certainly a good writer.

Back